HBO Releases First Costumed Photos from House of the Dragon

Westeros

2 minutes ago, divica said:

But whenever they start, as alicent looks like a grown woman then daemon should not be the heir anymore.

That is pretty weird...

The implication was the entire time that characters were aged up. Rhaenyra seems to be about the same age as Alicent, and both are still pretty young when the show starts, one assumes.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

The implication was the entire time that characters were aged up. Rhaenyra seems to be about the same age as Alicent, and both are still pretty young when the show starts, one assumes.

But if they age up the cast then when they time jump to the conflict the main cast will be very old.

You can't have a dance without aemond and aegon II being able to be involved. That should imply a time jump so that they can at least be 10 to 15 years when the conflict beguins.

So we are talking about something similar to outlander where people just don't get old?

Just now, divica said:

But if they age up the cast then when they time jump to the conflict the main cast will be very old.

You can't have a dance without aemond and aegon II being able to be involved. That should imply a time jump so that they can at least be 10 to 15 years when the conflict beguins.

So we are talking about something similar to outlander where people just don't get old?

They seemed to have aged up Rhaenyra, not the entire cast. And Rhaenyra dies in the book at the age 33. If they had her die in her late thirties, say, or something like that, they would not really have to change the actress.

What they would have to change is young Aegon/Aemond if they show up in the first season when they jump ahead to a point in time when they are adults.

But they could easily enough cast them - and Rhaenyra's elder boys - with actors who can play characters from, say, their mid-teens to their mid-twenties.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

They seemed to have aged up Rhaenyra, not the entire cast. And Rhaenyra dies in the book at the age 33. If they had her die in her late thirties, say, or something like that, they would not really have to change the actress.

That's good, if they aged up everybody, the cast would be positively ancient. 

@Lord Varys among the leaked pictures there were those of presumably Aegon, Aemond and Daeron. So Viserys has his male heir. Which means the show needs to start with Rhaenyra already established as presumptive heir.

I suppose they could do flashbacks, and cast younger actors for Viserys and Daemon or at least kid actors for Alicent and Rhaenyra.

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

What they would have to change is young Aegon/Aemond if they show up in the first season when they jump ahead to a point in time when they are adults.

But they could easily enough cast them - and Rhaenyra's elder boys - with actors who can play characters from, say, their mid-teens to their mid-twenties.

For daemon to be the heir it means that aegon II hasn't been born. And acording to the description alicent hasn't even marrried viserys.

We are talking of aging a character more than 10 years... And alicent is also aged up.

By the time of the dance it will look like the main cast is 60 years old...

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

@Lord Varys among the leaked pictures there were those of presumably Aegon, Aemond and Daeron. So Viserys has his male heir. Which means the show needs to start with Rhaenyra already established as presumptive heir.

I suppose they could do flashbacks, and cast younger actors for Viserys and Daemon or at least kid actors for Alicent and Rhaenyra.

But if those kids are cast how can daemon be heir?

The first episode will be about alicent and viserys marying and then time jump?

4 minutes ago, divica said:

The description given by hbo name daemon the heir. So at the start of the series he should be the heir.

Exactly, that's what I meant. Before Aegon, Aemond and Daeron were born. And Helaena, of course. 

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Until we know more it makes no sense to assume Daemon being the heir is a departure from the setting.

Instead, if we assume they want to do a somewhat faithful adaptation then the idea is we start early in the reign of Viserys when Daemon Targaryen was, in fact, the king's heir, and Rhaenyra was not.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I suppose they could do flashbacks, and cast younger actors for Viserys and Daemon.

I know that, but the question there is - where exactly does this scene fit into the season?

Is it from the first couple of episodes, or one of the later episodes? If it was the funeral of Laena Velaryon - as people suggested due to the pictures of that Velaryon sarcophagus for a woman - then it wouldn't be an early episode.

Unless HBO's own press releases for the show are wrong we can only conclude the show starts at a point in time when Daemon is still the king's heir, Rhaenyra not yet the Heir Apparent, Criston Cole not yet a Kingsguard, and Alicent Hightower not yet queen ... which means she would also not yet be the mother of the king's children.

How far the show is going to progress throughout the first season we just don't know yet.

But as I keep saying - since we haven't heard anything about them casting adult versions of Aegon II and Aemond - nor about anyone being cast to play the roles of Rhaenyra's sons or Daemon's daughters - chances are just not that high that they will progress into what's the late 110s or 120s AC in the book.

3 hours ago, divica said:

For daemon to be the heir it means that aegon II hasn't been born. And acording to the description alicent hasn't even marrried viserys.

We are talking of aging a character more than 10 years... And alicent is also aged up.

By the time of the dance it will look like the main cast is 60 years old...

There is no indication that Alicent has been aged up. She is in her late teens when she marries the king, meaning she would be roughly about the same age when the Dance starts as she is in the books.

The only person being older then would be Rhaenyra ... and you do not necessarily look *that* different when you are 43 than when you were 33.

The only other person who may have been aged up would be Viserys I and, perhaps, Queen Aemma (if she shows up). But that doesn't change much.

5 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

Corlys looks great. Everyone looks good, whether or not all the costumes are great. I hope GRRM's proximity to the development means there won't be any needlessly convoluted departures like making the Dance between Daemon and Rhaenyra.

That would be awful!

Daemon saw himself as Viserys’ heir before Aemma’s death in the books, too. If Aemma is still alive when the show starts, then this isn’t a departure from canon. 

I’m guessing they’ll make Alicent something of a femme fatale in the show, with Otto encouraging her to seduce Viserys, similar to how Littlefinger coaches Sansa in TWOW. 

13 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

the idea is we start early in the reign of Viserys when Daemon Targaryen was, in fact, the king's heir, and Rhaenyra was not.

They are also keeping the book stuff that Otto is determined to stop Daemon from becoming king.

Hi everyone :)

Yes, it seems to me this is quite obviously what's going to happen.

In the beginning of the show, they will introduce the idea of a rivalry/future conflict between Rhaenyra and her uncle Daemon.
So, after at least a full season (and after plots and tragedies and so on) the marriage between Rhaenyra and Daemon will be a shock-moment and a turning point.

I'd also dare to say that Criston Cole will mostly be a 'good guy' in the beginning (as in honorable, devoted to Rhaenyra, maybe they will actually be in love, maybe not, still a love triangle it's actually the most safe choice for a tv show) and of course Otto Hightower will have many redeeming qualities.
They will both turn against Rhaenyra only after her marriage with Daemon.

I hate that people are making so much fuss about the "Strong boys". Let's try and be serious: now, Rhaenyra's sons will not be completely cut of course (because some scene are too iconic and important to be cut, for example Aemond vs Lucerys) but they will be completely changed (it could actually even be only one son of Rhaenyra and Laenor).

I hate that people pretend that making Rhaenyra's sons actually Laenor's sons change something. It changes NOTHING for the tv show plots. The 'bastard' justification for the greens, it's just that, an additional excuse to grab the power. Even if Rhaenyra's first son was half black half white, and clearly Laenor's son, the whole "Aegon is the male heir, he should rule" it's perfectly believable in its own,

Speaking of which, IF we get Aegon II just as it is in the book, than that is by far the MOST DIFFICULT character to write and cast.
In the chronicles of the maesters he is a VERY bland character. Kinda jerkish, but not so much. Not smart nor dumb. Not nice, but not evil either. And most of all, without really any peculiar quality. Seriously, pretty much its only real 'colourful' personality trait is not a personality trait at all, but just a trivia "he has the most beautiful dragon ever" XD

So either they will merge Aegon and Aemond together (which I doubt, 'cause Aemond works pretty great as a character for the tv show as it is) or I expect Aegon to have a huuuuge 'reskin' :D

25 minutes ago, Athanasius Pernath said:

Speaking of which, IF we get Aegon II just as it is in the book, than that is by far the MOST DIFFICULT character to write and cast.
In the chronicles of the maesters he is a VERY bland character. Kinda jerkish, but not so much. Not smart nor dumb. Not nice, but not evil either. And most of all, without really any peculiar quality. Seriously, pretty much its only real 'colourful' personality trait is not a personality trait at all, but just a trivia "he has the most beautiful dragon ever" XD

There is plenty of great material to portray Aegon II as nuanced character, only downside he is incapacitated  and missing for large part of the story - by his description he seems like a contradiction - which fits rest of his character.

AEGON II. A strong resemblance to his father, Viserys, but in him the playful look has been replaced by a certain petulance. A sullen look to the eyes, a pouty mouth. Holds a dagger in his hand, testing the point against his finger. Clad in armor, but he does not look like a warrior. No beard, and only a faint wispy hint of a mustache. Wears the steel-and-ruby crown of Aegon the Conquerer.

Topics of addiction to food, milk of the poppy, drink and  lecherousness' could be portrayed through him and eventual deprivation of same through his injuries, or need to overcome milk of the poppy and facing the great pain due to his burns. They are all great content for actor to convey.

Two moments besides his final encounter with Rhaenyra would be possibly great scenes:

Though Blood and Cheese had spared her life, Queen Helaena cannot be said to have survived that fateful dusk. Afterward she would not eat, nor bathe, nor leave her chambers, and she could no longer stand to look upon her son Maelor, knowing that she had named him to die. The king had no recourse but to take the boy from her and give him over to their mother, the Dowager Queen Alicent, to raise as if he were her own. Aegon and his wife slept separately thereafter, and Queen Helaena sank deeper and deeper into madness, whilst the king raged, and drank, and raged.

In the days following his half-sister’s death, the king still clung to the hope that Sunfyre might recover enough strength to fly again. Instead the dragon only seemed to weaken further, and soon the wounds in his neck began to stink. Even the smoke he exhaled had a foul smell to it, and toward the end he would no longer eat.

On the ninth day of the twelfth moon of 130 AC, the magnificent golden dragon that had been King Aegon’s glory died in the outer yard of Dragonstone where he had fallen. His Grace wept, and gave orders that his cousin Lady Baela be brought up from the dungeons and put to death. Only when her head was on the block did he repent, when his maester reminded him that the girl’s mother had been a Velaryon, the Sea Snake’s own daughter.

19 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

1) only downside he is incapacitated  and missing for large part of the story

2) Topics of addiction to food, milk of the poppy, drink and  lecherousness' could be portrayed through him and eventual deprivation of same through his injuries, or need to overcome milk of the poppy and facing the great pain due to his burns. They are all great content for actor to convey.

I'm sorry, I don't think my message was clear (It's been a while since I've written on a forum and my English was not great even then XD)
Still:

1) I think that's definitely going to change though. Even IF the story goes as it's written, sure we're probably going to have a burned and maimed Aegon, but not an asleep/missing Aegon for much time.

2) I have ENORMOUS problems at seeing how those things will be considered interesting in the kind of tv show that House of the Dragon is going to be (also, how do you say 'minutaggio' in English? 'cause that is a thing :D)  but hey, maybe I'm wrong and they'll find the time to show an interesting side of 'he likes women' XD

I don't know if I'm able to say what I mean... it's not that those are not potential interesting topics. They are. Just not in this kind of tv show. Silly example: "Game of Thrones" is on thing. "The Favourite" by Yorgos Lanthimos is another. Different target, different tone, different purpose, different medium and so on.

I mean, Robert was the king of leecherousness, and we got what, a whole 30 seconds of him playing off-screen with a bunch of prostitutes while Jaime stand guard. It would be cool in another format, but here there's simply not enough time to show, for example, "the descent of a man into his demons after his increasing addiction to milk of the poppy". Though we could have ONE scene about that, I suppose.

What I meant is just that I think Aegon II is a waaaaay harder character to write compared to character like Aemond and Daemon or Cregan or even Otto (and of course the two Queens) 'cause those are very easy archetipes that you write into full-fledged characters.

You don't have to re-imagine Daemon, you just 'elaborate' on him, changing him into what you need for the show. But you DEFINITELY need to completely re-imagine Aegon II, simply 'cause there's not enough material. Silly example: IF he actually start the show as a little boy, you could change him COMPLETELY, making him a cute, sympathetic little brother to Rhaenyra, and making him into a very ,very different adult from book-Aegon

4 hours ago, Athanasius Pernath said:

What I meant is just that I think Aegon II is a waaaaay harder character to write compared to character like Aemond and Daemon or Cregan or even Otto (and of course the two Queens) 'cause those are very easy archetipes that you write into full-fledged characters.

I think one thing they can do with him is to show that he is constantly reminded that he bears the Conqueror's name, and that he aspires to be a warrior-king like the Conqueror and just like Jaehaerys but he always fails. He has some honor, which is briefly shown in the writing when he initially thinks that he shouldn't take Rhaenyra's promised heritage, until his mother and Otto convince him otherwise. 

Archived