What is a steward?

Falcon2909

More like a fancy butler or boss servant. 

Sansas view of it in aGoT:

Of course, Jeyne had been in love with Lord Beric ever since she had first glimpsed him in the lists. Sansa thought she was being silly; Jeyne was only a steward's daughter, after all, and no matter how much she mooned after him, Lord Beric would never look at someone so far beneath him, even if she hadn't been half his age.

Depends.  At the most humble it is merely a servant placed in charge of managing the household and the estates.  Or it can easily become a servant who is the effective ruler, since the Lord is too busy partying (or whatever) to do the ruling himself.  Or over time, the steward can cease being a mere servant and can become a hereditary office.  I'm guessing this happened to the Tyrells.   I'm guessing at some point they just took over.

5 hours ago, Mister Smikes said:

Or over time, the steward can cease being a mere servant and can become a hereditary office

I think its always hereditary. Or at least should be unless theyre up to shenanigans. 

Stewards are like hands. They do all the work but someone else takes credit

Qhoran is ... not a ruler, but one who serves and counsels such, and helps conduct his business. You of Westeros might say steward or magister. "

King' s Hand? That amused him. "And selaesori?"

Moqorro touched his nose. "Imbued with a pleasant aroma. Fragrant, would you say? Flowery?"

"So Selaesori Qhoran means Stinky Steward, more or less?"

"Fragrant Steward, rather."

Tyrion gave a crooked grin. "I believe I will stay with Stinky. But I do thank you for the lesson."

In LoTR like fantasy, or in LoTR, The Kings of Gondor have gone (north... for some reason I dont follow) and the Stewards have ruled Gondor for a few hundred years. 

Boromir, heir of Gondors stewardship, was kinda a dick to Aragorn at first, knowing the king will soon return, but wound up realizing the kings pretty chill, with his tax policies and his handling of orc women and children.

Denathor, no friend of Aragorn as Pippen was supposed to not mention, thought hes the last steward with his sons dead, spoiler hes not, and wanted to die with Gondor. But that didnt happen. Faramir winds up becoming Steward like all of his ancestors, expect he doesnt have to work like his dad did because of Striders tax policies and etc

They basically run the castle, similar to the NW stewards. Prominent examples of stewards we've seen from Westeros are Vayon Poole, the Tyrells, and Criston Cole's father. But the link below has a better definition for Westeros and IRL

https://asoiafuniversity.tumblr.com/post/145348847340/hi-couple-of-questions-what-does-a-steward

Archived