Glass candles

Could glass candles be electric lightbulbs? Quoth Leo Tyrrell: "The light was clear and bright, much brighter than any beeswax or tallow candle. It cast strange shadows and the flame never flickered, even when I draft blew through the open door behind me."

It made me think about the harsh glow from the bluish LED lights, compared to the warm glow from a candle and how weird an electric light would be to someone who had only ever seen artificial light in the form of candles or torches.

But the clairvoyance aspect seems like a lodestone resonator from His Dark Materials. 

Glass Candles are made of obsidian rock, which is essentially a shiny rock formed by rapidly cooling lava into a crystalline glass, but is not translucent. They are not electric, but magic, which is why they have not burned until recently in the books, because magic went out the world the day the last of the dragons died. new dragons=magic=magic fire rocks

The light it gives off seems akin to a blacklight.

Tinfoil theory that I don't actually believe but was fun to come up with:

Glass candles are lightbulbs powered by electricity. The electricity is generated by the burning of a particular type of gas.

The generator is small and at the base of the candle. Because it is extremely old, it has one or two cracks. As such when the glass candle is 'on' the gas leaks and causes people in the room to hallucinate. Because of confirmation bias and the brain's tendency to look for patterns and meaning in meaningless stuff, these hallucinations are interpreted as visions. 

The glass candles have suddenly turned on now because someone has worked out how to turn them on. Maybe it's part of a conspiracy, maybe it's a coincidence. 

Actual theory:

I think the mechanics and origin of glass candles will probably never be revealed in order to contribute to the story's sense of mystery. I doubt the author has even decided what they are or where they came from. 

The glass candles are one of the warning signs of the arrival of the Others.  It warns people that ice and darkness are coming.  Candles give hope that there can still be light even in darkness.  It is signal to Azor Ahai-Dany to get ready to battle the Others and their wighted humans.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/6/2021 at 12:42 PM, TheFlyingHellfish said:

Could glass candles be electric lightbulbs? Quoth Leo Tyrrell: "The light was clear and bright, much brighter than any beeswax or tallow candle. It cast strange shadows and the flame never flickered, even when I draft blew through the open door behind me."

It made me think about the harsh glow from the bluish LED lights, compared to the warm glow from a candle and how weird an electric light would be to someone who had only ever seen artificial light in the form of candles or torches.

But the clairvoyance aspect seems like a lodestone resonator from His Dark Materials. 

It's Martin's take on the light saber.  Light is a more powerful weapon against the darkness when you compare it to the edge of a blade.  Cold, darkness, and ice are the existential threat to the living.  The candles serve specific purposes.  The white sword of the Daynes is the Anti-Darkness and Dany's "sword", the red sword of fire, is the Anti-Ice.  We were told early on in the prologue that iron is no match for the ice swords of the White Walkers.  The people who will use the black swords, obsidian candles, will be the Anti-White Walkers.  The Starks will fight for the White Walkers. 

Archived