Will Jorah take the black?

Jeor Mormont's dying wish is for his son Jorah to join the nights watch. He tells this to Sam Tarly at crasters during the mutiny. Its clear that he's very ashamed of Jorahs actions, so much so that he puts his families ancestral sword in a box and completely forgets about it. But why keep it? If he didn't want it, surely just return it to bear island and leave it for Maege Mormont or something. If he kept it, he must have had a reason for it. Maybe in the hopes that his son could redeem himself by taking the black, but after long years of waiting, decides to gift it to Jon Snow.

Also, Jorahs reputation in Westeros isn't the best, especially in the North. If he hadn't ran he would probably have been executed (although Ned would've for sure let him go to the wall if he wanted). I think Barristan Selmy says at some point that his presence might hurt Dany's cause if he went to Westeros with her, which is a good point. The allegiance of the Northern houses are vital to uniting the seven kingdoms, and having a known criminal/outlaw as one of her top advisers wouldn't bode very well. Maybe the best way of him serving Dany would be to join the nights watch and protect the realm for her.

21 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Nope

Hide contents
  Hide contents
  Hide contents

He will die. Valar Morghulis 

18 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

No. He'll die, hopefully on the point of a Yunkish spear. Valar morghulis

:ninja:

Careful, or the mods might think we're alts 

On 5/7/2021 at 10:07 AM, OldLordWalder said:

Jeor Mormont's dying wish is for his son Jorah to join the nights watch. He tells this to Sam Tarly at crasters during the mutiny. Its clear that he's very ashamed of Jorahs actions, so much so that he puts his families ancestral sword in a box and completely forgets about it. But why keep it? If he didn't want it, surely just return it to bear island and leave it for Maege Mormont or something. If he kept it, he must have had a reason for it. Maybe in the hopes that his son could redeem himself by taking the black, but after long years of waiting, decides to gift it to Jon Snow.

Also, Jorahs reputation in Westeros isn't the best, especially in the North. If he hadn't ran he would probably have been executed (although Ned would've for sure let him go to the wall if he wanted). I think Barristan Selmy says at some point that his presence might hurt Dany's cause if he went to Westeros with her, which is a good point. The allegiance of the Northern houses are vital to uniting the seven kingdoms, and having a known criminal/outlaw as one of her top advisers wouldn't bode very well. Maybe the best way of him serving Dany would be to join the nights watch and protect the realm for her.

This is my belief as well. If only because Jorah as a character doesn't inspire much love or hate. It's only fitting that the conclusion of Jorah's character ark is as "meh" as Jorah is.

10 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Cuz I want it. He's an ugly, broke old man who is hitting on a 15, 16 year old

Remember, Planetos, can't fault him. It's the Nabokov in Martin 

10 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Alts? Wot?

Same person, different accounts. Lol. 

10 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Remember, Planetos, can't fault him. It's the Nabokov in Martin 

Dany is not even close to being on the same level as him. He's the exiled, landless lord of a poor island, he's an idiot for thinking that:

1. Dany will even accept him back.

2. That Dany will ever marry him, or even just bed her.

14 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Dany is not even close to being on the same level as him. He's the exiled, landless lord of a poor island, he's an idiot for thinking that:

1. Dany will even accept him back.

2. That Dany will ever marry him, or even just bed her.

Why are you suddenly being elitist and feudalistic? 

Jeor's desire for Jorah to take the Black just seems a father wanting the best for his son and wanting him to correct his mistakes. Though a lot about Longclaw doesn't add up, in this case that no other Mormont ever mentions it. As touchy as Jorah is about his pride, you'd think he'd have mentioned it at one point, especially when the subject came up in the form of Dany promising him a Valyrian steel sword. But I guess that's another topic entirely.

There are parts of Jorah's character I enjoy, though I definitely can see why he rubs some people the wrong way. Him being a down on his luck underdog, a romantic who's reach exceeds his grasp, and the touchy pride he carries himself with appeals to me on some level. I can almost see how he talked himself into selling those poachers into slavery to provide for his wife. They were dead anyways, he'd be giving them a chance at a life of sorts, and it'd help him with his problem of providing for his wife(If he had a Valyrian steel sword at the same time Tywin was offering a fortune for one...?). I'm not saying the logic is acceptable, but I can see how he talked himself into it as it were. And his resentment for Ned Stark for wanting to kill him when he didn't kill those poachers kind of makes sense in his touchy sort of way. 

I honestly have difficulty seeing a happy ending for him though. Leaving aside the improbability of him returning to Westeros or the Night's Watch even being a thing once all is said and done, his arc seems destined to die for his queen in some form or fashion. Maybe Jorah giving his life for her will be the act of redemption his father wants for him.

12 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Who are they? 

Naboko, Vladimir. Author of Lolita. Self explanatory in this context of our discussion. Paedophilic obsessions 

Luc Besson. Filmmaker. Accused of sexual misconduct, probably with minor. Directed Leon... Starring a teen debutante Natalie Portman and middle aged assassin Jean Reno. Similar undertones. 

I still don't believe you haven't heard of these guys who bear a striking resemblance to GRRM when you look from a particular angle 

Archived