Dany's dragons did NOT cause magic to return

Nathan Stark

10 hours ago, LynnS said:

I'm pretty sure that I will be the only one to think that Dany represents the female aspect of the AA story - the PWIP/dragon who was promised and that the male aspect - the Warrior of Light/AA will be someone else,  While the PWIP is foretold to come from the line of Aerys and his wife; that might not apply to the Warrior of Light.  R'hllor chooses his instruments as he wills.  Chances are that Jaime has a fiery bloodline as a Targaryen bastard, if that's a requirement.

Does Jaime have a 'bright' future?  I wouldn't have thought so until I remembered how Bran sees him in his coma dream  If this is what Martin has in mind for Jaime and the end game, the Battle for the Dawn; it's so audacious, it makes me laugh and clap my hands. 

It also makes me think that the business about smoke and salt is a red herring. 

Bruh I would be...angry if Jamie is tptwp. But...just like with the heros thing, there are a lot of similarish stories like the last hero and such, for me, id be shocked if there was one person who filled that role. Stories like that are in my view about teaching each person how to act in a certain situation, so maybe everyone has a bit of the last hero in them. Anyway the Lord of Light grosses me out so I prefer to think of the last hero:laugh:. Like there was no Gilgamesh, but it fs teaches you something about life, and tells you something about human history. 

yah know, the lord of light is not all bad, thoros and donadarion are cool as fuck. But I feel like some of y'all are a little to concerned with Melisandre. TLoL is just one bit of magic, and who knows how it really works

edit*** it would be a lot cooler if there was a Gilgamesh, and in martins world those things are real, so maybe there really was a sort of last hero. I hope so. Also Brandon the builder

@LynnS sorry I didn't really address what you said. Jaime is weird. I don't understand him. He has this aspect of light to him, but it feels superficial to me. I feel like the bright face..is more about the face than the man, if ykwim. idk. I honestly have no ideas on where Jaimes arc goes

21 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

Well I agree with everything except perhaps for this.  Thoros, the pyromancers, the alchemists, dragon egg hatching, and the glass candles burning, may all have been signs of an increase in magic.  

But as far as I can tell, Melisandre's visions had predated these events, didn't they?  And I could be wrong, but my take away was that Melisandre's creation of the shadow assassins wasn't her first go at this.

Well, the rising tide hypothesis is pretty fluid (sorry).  We don't know how much ebbing and flowing there is and whether, even when the tide is fully out, there aren't rock pools that would correlate to places of magical potency - Mel's "hinges of the world".  Places like the Wall, Storm's End, Asshai, the weirnet might always have some potency so magic is never fully gone from the world. 

Equally we don't know over what span of time the ebbing or flowing might occur: e.g., the Targ dragons became smaller and weaker, the eggs harder to hatch and they gradually died out.  Conversely we know the white walkers have for some time been picking off the wildlings, giants and NW patrols, all of which began long(?) before Dany hatched the dragons so the tide of magic may have been rising for some time. 

How long though?  Mel arrived at Dragonstone to support Stannis as Azor Ahai before she can possibly have learned of the dragons (does she know even now?) and I assume her visions spurred her on; as you say she appears to have plenty of experience of both visions and shadowbabies.  Craster is shown to us (and reviled by other wildlings) for sacrificing his children to the Old Gods: how long have they been taking his children and what caused him to start doing this? 

To confuse the picture there does seem to be some background level of magic.  Maybe there has not been enough for glass candles, the red priests' kiss of fire, armies of wights, or dragon eggs to hatch until now but we seem to have had warlocks, shadowbinders, maegi (think Maggy the frog prophesying to Cersei how many children she and Robert would have), faceless men, wargs and (rare) greenseers all along,  How effective the latter were and whether they are more potent now like wildfire is remains unclear.  My view is they are: e.g. all the Stark children are wargs and Bran is en route to being a powerful greenseer, an indication, just like the Others' reappearance and Dany's hatching of the dragon eggs, that magic is stronger and more accessible.  Dragons as one effect among many rather than cause.

22 hours ago, Orion2 said:

Bruh I would be...angry if Jamie is tptwp

What I'm saying is that the PWIP Prophesy is separate but connected to the AA prophecy.  The PWIP heralds the coming of AA rather than being AA.  Dany fits the part of the prophecy for waking dragons from stone, the rebirth of Dragons.  The comet is decidedly female; the star or moon that bleeds.  Aemon says it proves she is the PWIP.  What Rhaegar and Mel were looking for is the male aspect of the prophecy and this doesn't have to come from the line of Jahaerys or Rhaegar even though Rhaegar believes it.   The coment/pwip is the herald rather than the warrior.  It's why Rhaegar says a comet was seen at Aegon's conception rather than his birth.

A Storm of Swords - Samwell V

The officers did not know how to take that, Sam could see. Bowen Marsh and Othell Yarwyck exchanged a doubtful look, Janos Slynt was fuming, and Three-Finger Hobb looked as though he would sooner be back chopping carrots. But all of them seemed surprised to hear Maester Aemon murmur, "It is the war for the dawn you speak of, my lady. But where is the prince that was promised?"

"He stands before you," Melisandre declared, "though you do not have the eyes to see. Stannis Baratheon is Azor Ahai come again, the warrior of fire. In him the prophecies are fulfilled. The red comet blazed across the sky to herald his coming, and he bears Lightbringer, the red sword of heroes."

Mel is also trying to make the prophesy happen.  She's correct that the comet is a herald and wrong that Stannis is both the PWIP and AA or that they are one in the same.

Of course, with anything I say, Heisenberg Uncertainty Principles apply.   

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the magical 'ceremony' for lack of a better word that was performed at Summer Hall and led to the birth of Rhaegar was an earlier factor that led to the return of fire magic (and possibly indirectly led to the increasing activity of white walkers in response). Summer Hall was an attempt to hatch dragon eggs that involved actual fire magic and (unintentional) human sacrifice. And not just any sacrifice but kings blood.  That event coincided with the both of Rhaegar and the death of many tergarean royal family members.

This was an idea i heard in a YT video by a fan who suggested that the timeline between Summer Hall and start of book 1 was possibly  around 40 years or so, and this may be about the length of time that the Walkers have been getting babies from that guy, assuming they need to wait for the babies to grow in real time in human years, 40 years is about the time required to have developed enough new walkers now to start doing something to defend against the increased power on the fire magic side that was commenced with Summer Hall and led eventually to birth of Rhaegar, Jon, Dany, and dragons.  

Archived