Reminder: The Stark Colors are Smoke and Salt

J. Stargaryen

"It is night in your Seven Kingdoms now," the red woman went on, "but soon the sun will rise again. The war continues, Davos Seaworth, and some will soon learn that even an ember in the ashes can still ignite a great blaze. The old maester looked at Stannis and saw only a man. You see a king. You are both wrong. He is the Lord's chosen, the warrior of fire. I have seen him leading the fight against the dark, I have seen it in the flames. The flames do not lie, else you would not be here. It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. The bleeding star has come and gone, and Dragonstone is the place of smoke and salt. Stannis Baratheon is Azor Ahai reborn!" Her red eyes blazed like twin fires, and seemed to stare deep into his soul. "You do not believe me. You doubt the truth of R'hllor even now . . . yet have served him all the same, and will serve him again. I shall leave you here to think on all that I have told you. And because R'hllor is the source of all good, I shall leave the torch as well." - Davos III, ASoS

Also, at the tower of joy, Ned dreams of the three Kingsguard in their white armor, while he sees his companions as grey wraiths. Further, Ned also points out something "white" about each of the Kingsguard.

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of the greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

[...]

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

Inside the tower of joy, in chapter four, Ned tells us the room smelled of "blood and roses." Roses he then describes as, "dead and black." So, the room smelled like something red and something black. Those are Targaryen colors and that is not a coincidence. Or, it is an incredible coincidence. You decide.

50 minutes ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Also, at the tower of joy, Ned dreams of the three Kingsguard in their white armor, while he sees his companions as grey wraiths. Further, Ned also points out something "white" about each of the Kingsguard.

Inside the tower of joy, in chapter four, Ned tells us the room smelled of "blood and roses." Roses he then describes as, "dead and black." So, the room smelled like something red and something black. Those are Targaryen colors and that is not a coincidence. Or, it is an incredible coincidence. You decide.

I feel like that the two chucklef***s were told all that once and they decided it was all just a massive coincidence that didn’t matter.

51 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

I feel like that the two chucklef***s were told all that once and they decided it was all just a massive coincidence that didn’t matter.

GRRM has an artistic touch that those two lack, no question. I would even call him a bit of a painter.

No amount of tin foil theorizing will detract from the holy truth that Hot Pie is Azor Ahai Reborn. The bastard son of the Mad King was born amidst the salt and smoke of the kitchens. He shall draw Lightbringer from his ovens and slay the enemy of all, hunger. The red comet heralded the journey where he leaves his humble origins to claim his birthright. 

But yes, you can spin the vague prophecies to suit just about anyone. Though the Stark colors signifying salt and smoke is a new one on me.

29 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

No amount of tin foil theorizing will detract from the holy truth that Hot Pie is Azor Ahai Reborn. The bastard son of the Mad King was born amidst the salt and smoke of the kitchens. He shall draw Lightbringer from his ovens and slay the enemy of all, hunger. The red comet heralded the journey where he leaves his humble origins to claim his birthright. 

But yes, you can spin the vague prophecies to suit just about anyone. Though the Stark colors signifying salt and smoke is a new one on me.

Salt and smoke are the clue. Look for the smoked sausage! Only Arya and the Hound can be Azor Ahai.

11 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt

The Smoking Sea is a place of salt and smoke and it may be the fiery hinge of the world.  

Also the wording changes later to born amidst salt tears and smoke.

Another change in the wording is when the stars bleed| to the bleeding star.  It goes from plural to singular.

5 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

No no. The true Azor Ahai is clearly Ser Pounce. He is the trueborn kitten of Balerion the cat. He was born amidst the salt and smoke of the kitchens.

22 hours ago, J. Stargaryen said:

It's not even a coincidence.  It's over reaching to build a connection. 

Salt and smoke refers to Dragonstone, the birthplace of Dany.  

40 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

I don´t know...there is a lot of salt and smoke in the storerooms of Castle Black.

One storeroom held wheels of cheese so large it took two men to move them. In the next, casks of salt beef, salt pork, salt mutton, and salt cod were stacked ten feet high. Three hundred hams and three thousand long black sausages hung from ceiling beams below the smokehouse. In the spice locker they found peppercorns, cloves, and cinnamon, mustard seeds, coriander, sage and clary sage and parsley, blocks of salt. Elsewhere were casks of apples and pears, dried peas, dried figs, bags of walnuts, bags of chestnuts, bags of almonds, planks of dry smoked salmon, clay jars packed with olives in oil and sealed with wax. One storeroom offered potted hare, haunch of deer in honey, pickled cabbage, pickled beets, pickled onions, pickled eggs, and pickled herring.

1 hour ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

It's not even a coincidence.  It's over reaching to build a connection. 

:lol:

First of all, I don't think you know what a coincidence is. Either GRMM intended the connection I made or he didn't. If he did I am correct, if he didn't it is a coincidence. Even such a coincidence is more interesting than your "over reaching" commentary. Second, have you ever heard of a red herring? If so, do you understand how they work? If you answered "yes" to those two questions, then you can understand how Dany-as-Azor-Ahai could well be a red herring. Because we have been explicitly told she was born on Dragonstone, woke dragons from stone, etc. Is it possible GRRM is playing it straight with Dany? Yes. He does do this more often than we suspect, I suspect. But, is it possible, he has used her as a red herring for Jon-as-Azor-Ahai, the promised prince, etc? Also, yes.

41 minutes ago, Tucu said:

I don´t know...there is a lot of salt and smoke in the storerooms of Castle Black.

Right! And Maester Aemon even thinks the salt might be from his tears, so there is more than one option on the table. Also, the fact that Melisandre calls Dragonstone the place smoke and salt should make us question whether it is actually something else or not. Especially since we are pretty sure she is wrong about Stannis being Azor Ahai.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, HoodedCrow said:

Grrm talks about heraldry, a lot. A writer can use all senses to “paint” a scene. He likes images with distinctive colors 

I don’t recall if he painted his miniatures or had someone else do it. 

He has them done.  I'm a bit of a mini painter myself and was quite curious about some of the ones he posted on twitter a while back so I asked. He didn't answer directly, but mentioned in his next tweet about them that he had them done. (of course, if he admitted he's spending 4 or 5 hours a day with a tiny paintbrush in his hand he may have received a bit of opinion about it)

Archived