Mare of Easttown

Fury Resurrected

I love Winslet, but the show just feels by-the-numbers for the kind of thing it is, for my part. The acting is indeed pretty good all around, though, and scene to scene it's fine. It's just the story that I'm not into.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I love Winslet, but the show just feels by-the-numbers for the kind of thing it is, for my part. The acting is indeed pretty good all around, though, and scene to scene it's fine. It's just the story that I'm not into.

Same here, very average mystery/crime show.This has been done a lot better and many times by the Scandi crime/mystery dramas.

13 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

How do we not have a thread about this yet? I am really loving this show and the cast are all doing a phenomenal job (including Evan Peters who I have never before liked at all). 

:agree:

It has such specificity of time, place and characters as to far transcend the accusation of paint-by-numbers crime show.  But maybe that's not so noticeable by people who who don't share in the bone that understanding of the deft handling and portrayal of the specifics holding up the generic?  :dunno:

Also, woman-centered, which is something a lot of people bounce off of, when the centered female is older than nubile, ethically flawed, and of poor judgment, i.e. not perfect or manic pixie whatever cray-cray.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

:agree:

It has such specificity of time, place and characters as to far transcend the accusation of paint-by-numbers crime show.  But maybe that's not so noticeable by people who who don't share in the bone that understanding of the deft handling and portrayal of the specifics holding up the generic?  :dunno:

Also, woman-centered, which is something a lot of people bounce off of, when the centered female is older than nubile, ethically flawed, and of poor judgment, i.e. not perfect or manic pixie whatever cray-cray.

Sounds good to me. I'll wait until the season is over to check it out, though, and try to avoid spoilers in the meantime.

What has from the start struck me as so much the 'rural' US that this is, is how for the most part, how tenderly most women treat babies and small children.  Even Mare shares this, which with her, includes a real understanding of what adolescent girls are capable of, for good and for not so good, because that part of her is still in operation.  She hasn't forgotten.

The tragedy is that once kids begin to grow up, that tenderness toward them tends to disappear, and be replaces with, at best, harshness and even brutality (not in all cases, but more often than not within the sort of culture it is).  As good a place as these places are to be a baby and little kid -- once into adolescence, and beyond, they really often are hell.

That said, with this episode I began to have questions as to Why? for some actions, wondering why they even happened when they might as well not have as with

Spoiler

Drew being taken off by his mom, only for her to return him immediately when he couldn't sleep. Drew's mom wants full custody yet she can't handle the kid one night, because he won't go to sleep?

For me a great deal of what appeals to me in Mare of Easttown are the same elements that interested me so much in the film, Mystic River.  Everything that happens in Mystic River is grounded into the bedrock of a particular community in a particular place at a particular time -- running through generations, of people who have known each other, grown up together and keep rubbing along living together, with intersecting circles of more or less close individuals, some who like each other and others who hate each other.  I haven't had the second season of Showtime's City on a Hill available to me, but it too shared these qualities.  I really liked that one too.

11 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Holy shit that last episode

Won 't be able to watch it until tonight.  I'm determined to ignore reading anything about it until I've see it, but looking at the captions of recaps, which all say the same thing, is allowed, so I'm really in a hurry to see it. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Won 't be able to watch it until tonight.  I'm determined to ignore reading anything about it until I've see it, but looking at the captions of recaps, which all say the same thing, is allowed, so I'm really in a hurry to see it. 

It’s a lot to take in all of a sudden, very well done, lots of wtf moments

It was ... wonderful.  I couldn't wait to watch so I put off dinner for an hour, and watched it.  Holy Cow!  It was perfect.  My only criticism,

Spoiler

which was how could Sioban's computer - video editing - production still be running when the power was out everywhere -- Partner overheard me talking to the screen.  Partner interrupted my interrogation to say, as someone who knows, because ... doing it all day and night so often ... "Battery.  Power.  That's why we have our batteries." I don't do this stuff, but Partner does it all the time.

Duh.

To make up for that, from the beginning (to myself) I called this:

Spoiler

Hotshot County didn't solve that case.  I'm sorry he's murdered though.

As many questions as ever. Though with the 

Spoiler

solution to missing Katie and Missy, it does seem Erin's murderer is somebody else, not that neckbeard.

All the Kids are lying by commission and omission, and even numero uno sneak-liar herself as a teen, Mare, didn’t smell it. Beyond the lies of commission by Jess of Erin's journals, there's the lie of omission -- Dylan steals the money Erin had been saving toward DJ’s ear surgery. Yet he was supposedly bonded now with Dylan Jr., though not his biological father -- and now isn't bonded again? Dylan's also is being the same asshole to Brianna, he was to Erin. He's a real nasty piece of work.  How did his lovely parents create such an ugly mean person? For that matter, Brianna's parents seem to genuinely care for her, so how did she become so mean and ugly too?

Why is Siobhan’s Met Someone Anne doing a dress-up for Mare’s BFF Lori Ross’s mentally challenged daughter? (The scenes in school of the boys abusing her and nobody doing anything until her brother Ryan, genuinely a hero, wallops the kid with a lunch tray, were powerful.) What's going on there beyond Lori seeing her husband John counseling their son Ryan to keep something "their secret?" 

Lori’s  husband, a cousin of Erin’s dad, who is now in jail for attempted murder of Dylan, who is incidentally a serial cheater, bonking now, and how does their son, Ryan know this?  Of all the women we have seen in these circles the only candidate seems to be Drew’s mom, druggie Carrie, which isunlikely as she's been rehab. The other is Mare’s ex-husband Frank’s fiancée, Faye, who seems no longer interested in planning the wedding – because of accusations that Frank had shenanigans with Erin?

Also, John’s brother, Billy Ross, had Erin living in his basement for a few months, back before Dylan Jr. appeared, it seems. So where did Billy run off to on pizza-basketball night?

We still have no idea who it was Mare erased from the surveillance camera footage at the house of the woman whose husband had an affair with Helen, Mare’s mom. So, now that the woman's confessed the affair at the funeral .. maybe it was Helen in that footage Mare got rid of? But Mare was as surprised as everyone about the affair.  It also provided a much needed break from the gloomy winter weather emotional and seasonal, as Mare laughs and laughs, genuinely, vastly, amused and entertained.  

No glimpse whatsoever of writing prof, Richard Ryan.

Am very concerned for Mare's future with that terrible solution to missing Katie and Missy -- and after she was starting to do so well, with therapy break-through, and the good laughing.

Re: baby daddy

Spoiler

So which brother is the father of the baby? Billy or John?

I think Dylan was destroying the journals in order to make a case for keeping the baby. 

Re: the gut punch

Spoiler

You knew right after he kissed her and she had that smirk grin that Zabel was done for.

And all the encounter with kidnapper was missing was an errant moth flitting through the scene. (And maybe a dancing in the mirror moment)

6 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I think Dylan was destroying the journals in order to make a case for keeping the baby. 

Spoiler

Why steal the money?  A very bad look.

Archived