Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

I have 2 rescues that I got 8 years ago (ages are a bit of a guess, but maybe 4 and 6 back then). They are definitely feeling their age. One has trouble going up stairs, and the other appears to have caught some sort of stomach bug (she was throwing up every 4-5 hours until we took her to the vet). I think we've been expecting this for a while, so I guess I am ready?

I have to say in my experience vets appear to work at the intersection of real science and a fair bit of 'woo'. Treating doggies typically is a mixture of real drugs and some sort of supplements, and I always wonder how good the latter are.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

15 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I have to say in my experience vets appear to work at the intersection of real science and a fair bit of 'woo'. Treating doggies typically is a mixture of real drugs and some sort of supplements, and I always wonder how good the latter are.

Kolo was diagnosed with spondylitis at quite a young age - about four or five. By the time she was eight, standing up took a while and she could barely walk without limping. The vet prescribed a bunch of expensive drugs, but it became apparent that there was nothing they could really do and she would just have to live with it.

So we did. For a while. Then I stumbled across some internet dog moms talking about this stuff:

YuMOVE for Dogs.

It's a food supplement, containing glucosamine. We gave her one tablet a day, and after a few weeks you could tell she was getting better. After a couple of months her mobility was completely restored. No more limping, no more creaking like an old woman when it was time to get up and pee. And she could jump up on the bed to give me a cuddle again.

Kolo's gone now, but she was on that stuff for nearly five years. To say it transformed the latter part of her life would not be an exaggeration, and I would urge any moms or dads whose puppers are struggling with any kind of mobility issue to consider trying it.

Edited by Spockydog

Talk about older dogs reminds me of my older dogs. 

Our Tulip is a wee 16 weeks+ and I'm pleasantly surprised how easy she's been to train-- only had one accident in the house since early last week. We had an E. Bully back in the day but the difference in energy and mobility between the Frenchie and English is absolutely crazy. She's actually one of the more active breeds I've had, including our St. Bernard/Lab X [favored Lab] and Weimaraner/French Mastiff X [favored Weim, but 120 lbs and fit]

And she's funny, just a complete and utter ass. My daughters and I adore her.

Edited by JEORDHl

We (I still say we even though my parents have them...they’ll always be mine though) currently have a cocker spaniel and a cockerpoo. The spaniel was with us from the start, the cockerpoo was my nannas and we took him in when she couldn’t manage him anymore. Even before that though we saw him several times a week and took a big part in his house training, so when we got him he settled into his new home well. And they were both playmates too so there was no territorial fighting when he moved in.

Oscar, the spaniel, is very active, can run wild for hours and not tire himself out. If there is even a scrap of a tennis ball left in the park or field where we walk him, he is sure to find it and fetch it for you to throw. We once took him out to a park and he started digging and brought us a quarter of a tennis ball. He really amazes me sometimes. When it snows he loves to go digging and rolling in it. At the beach he loves to dig too but is scared of the sea...although I think its more the sound of the waves because he is very skittish around loud noises. He doesn’t care much about other dogs when he is out, he usually ignores them and goes to humans looking for strokes and attention. He doesn’t like little children though. We once had him out for a walk and happened to pass the primary school as they were finishing and he cowered away when some children wanted to pet him. He isn’t greedy at all and apart from haunting you at his regular dinner time (5pm) he never greeds after food. 

Charlie (the cockerpoo) enjoys a more...relaxed life. He like to go for walks but if you let him off his lead he just trots by your side and doesn’t run off. If you throw the tennis ball for the two of them he gives a half-hearted little jog then turns round and comes back to you. He’s a gorgeous golden colour and looks like a teddy bear. He’s so loving and demands attention. When we take him to get his hair cut (very necessary, he gets very thick and curly hair that makes him scratch and makes him very uncomfortable) he just stands and lets the groomers do their thing. Usually they strap the dog into a kind of harness but he just loves their attention. He also comes across almost human in the way he moves, sits and looks at you. He’ll sot on the sofa and just splay himself out. If he’s hungry or needs his water bowl filling he’ll come and paw at you and then just give a little tilt of his head and walk to where his bowls are to show you what he wants. If you say “walk” or “park” or “car” or “lead” he will go show you where his lead is. 

Charlie is also very greedy and will find any food you leave lying around. We once left a packet of dentastix on the dinging room table, in the middle of the table and he somehow managed to climb up and take them packet, tear it open and eat the whole thing. He was sick afterwards but still kept pestering us to feed him afterwards.

They’re both so gorgeous and lovable. I wish i could have pets in my flat but i make do seeing them when i visit the mothership.

Edited by HelenaExMachina

9 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Charlie is also very greedy and will find any food you leave lying around.

He is a working dog, keeping your home free from discarded crumbs and morsels. He sounds like a most diligent pupper.

Edited by Spockydog

On 5/10/2021 at 4:43 AM, Which Tyler said:

This morning, I had to carry the venerable old lady upstairs for the first time :crying:

I'm not ready for this.
It's not my readiness that counts.

Oh damn, yeah.  My heart goes out to you man. Dealing with this now too.  Darcy, a red heeler mix, will be 16 next month.  About a year ago had to start carrying her up the stairs once or twice a month if she over did it running around the yard, but now for last month or so I've been carrying her up and down the stairs about 50% of the time.  Her quality of life is still great but I don't think that's going to be the case for much longer, she has tumors in her mouth and ear and I think her mind is starting to go as well.  

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

He is a working dog, keeping your home free from discarded crumbs and morsels. He sounds like a most diligent pupper.

And all done voluntarily for no pay, such a selfless pup.

Larry, Which Tyler, very sorry for your situations :( I think it's hard for people without a pet to understand how painful it is seeing them suffer or losing them but it's just as real and painful as losing a relative, in my experience. After we lost our first dog we thought we could never have another because the loss hurt so much but years later (and after taking such joy in helping to look after my nanna's dog) we eventually did.*

I can only offer my sympathy to you both and to say that the best way to look at it when the worst does happen is that at least they aren't suffering. Our last dog was crippled with arthritis and constantly sick by the end so despite the sadness of losing him it was slightly comforting to know he wasn't in pain anymore.

*There's a bit more to the story behind both dogs. My nanna got Charlie after her husband passed to help deal with the grief and loneliness. My mam got Oscar during my time at university and though she never said as much I think it was again because she was lonely and wanted the company. 

On 5/10/2021 at 6:44 PM, Spockydog said:

So we did. For a while. Then I stumbled across some internet dog moms talking about this stuff:

YuMOVE for Dogs.

It's a food supplement, containing glucosamine. We gave her one tablet a day, and after a few weeks you could tell she was getting better. After a couple of months her mobility was completely restored. No more limping, no more creaking like an old woman when it was time to get up and pee. And she could jump up on the bed to give me a cuddle again.

We do glucosamine for the arthritic doggo as well, it does seem to help. I cant carry her up the stairs though, she weighs about 105 lbs.

• 3 weeks later...

My girl, a 10 year old white and cream colored husky mix named Bailey, was diagnosed with kidney failure today. She's been acting weird for a few months and that might explain it. Not sure if she's got a few weeks, a few months, or maybe longer, but she's going to doggy heaven sooner than later and from now on she only eats from the table. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

My girl, a 10 year old white and cream colored husky mix named Bailey, was diagnosed with kidney failure today. She's been acting weird for a few months and that might explain it. Not sure if she's got a few weeks, a few months, or maybe longer, but she's going to doggy heaven sooner than later and from now on she only eats from the table. 

Sorry to hear that.  I found out that my previous boxer had terminal bladder cancer at around the same age three years ago.  Never easy.  Hopefully you get a couple of months or longer to properly say goodbye.

I got the current boxer a few weeks later.  Grief sucks, and getting another one really helped me get over it in a way I don't think I would have otherwise.  

7 hours ago, briantw said:

Sorry to hear that.  I found out that my previous boxer had terminal bladder cancer at around the same age three years ago.  Never easy.  Hopefully you get a couple of months or longer to properly say goodbye.

I got the current boxer a few weeks later.  Grief sucks, and getting another one really helped me get over it in a way I don't think I would have otherwise.  

Appreciate it. I think I'll take some time before getting another one. 

Any particular reason why you're drawn to boxers? 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Appreciate it. I think I'll take some time before getting another one. 

Any particular reason why you're drawn to boxers? 

Yeah, I understand that getting another one right away isn't for everyone.  It worked for me, though.

As for the boxer thing, no reason.  I just really loved the first one and wanted another one.  And she has turned out to be pretty much more of the same.  She's got her own quirks and personality, but a lot of the same mannerisms.  Based on my experience with the two boxers I've had, I think I'll always have a boxer.  I broke up with an ex about two months before the previous boxer died and later found out that she got a boxer puppy after the break up because of how much she loved my dog.  It seems that most people who have boxers stick with boxers, and I totally understand why.  

And it's not just that this is the only dog I've had.  I also have a German shepherd that I got ten years ago and, while he's a great dog, never going to get another one.  The shedding is a nightmare and his personality just pales in comparison to the two boxers. 

I don't know if I'll always have two dogs, but if I do, one will be a boxer and then I'll alternate between other breeds.  I'd love to own a Rottweiler at some point.