Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

Prince William is not looking great. He’s been on meds for 3 days (plus the injections the vet gave him on Tuesday), we have 3 more days to go. I hope he improves over the weekend. Either way, he’s going back to the vet on Monday to check on the progress. He’d healed from far worse, so it’d be unfair if an oedematic leg took him out, but he’s closing on 13.5 years of age and the 38C heat isn’t helping. And I want him to go peacefully and happily when he does. In his sleep, dreaming of snacks and adventures, not in sickness. People think I’m morbidly obsessed with his mortality, but he’s the first dog I’ll lose to old age and it’s scary and difficult to watch him get thinner and weaker and more fragile. 
Well, he still can’t get enough of walkies, food, soft rugs and stealing more food from others, so even though he’s unwell now, his spirit seems unbroken. I’m hoping he’ll make a full recovery and live to see another Christmas. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

As it's virtual, I don't have to worry about appropriateness - or social distancing; so have a huge bear-dog hug from me (who's essentially a dog in human shape - no idea why Ali thinks I should be offended by that); and take comfort from him still being fully happy, alert, aware, and into his normal things.

@RhaenysBee I hear you.  My dog is in a similar place.  I will say that if yours is eating, has some enthusiasm for walks and anything else it's a good sign that there's some quality time remaining.

She turned 16 recently and while I'm carrying her up and down the stairs most of the time she still is super excited when I pick up the leash and wants to walk until she collapses a few times a day.  I am kind of terrified of what it's going to be like when she's gone, she's been with me the last 15+ years and while I'll be relieved she's at rest I also know it's going to be a total mindfuck.  

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your pup and plenty of lazy days enjoying the finer things 

Right, let's have a group hug for all of us with struggling older dogs.

I'm standing here with my arms wide open, even though my venerable old lady is doing better now than when I started this thread (but still crapped on the sofa past night - smell got me up at 4)

12 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

As it's virtual, I don't have to worry about appropriateness - or social distancing; so have a huge bear-dog hug from me (who's essentially a dog in human shape - no idea why Ali thinks I should be offended by that); and take comfort from him still being fully happy, alert, aware, and into his normal things.

Thank you! 

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

@RhaenysBee I hear you.  My dog is in a similar place.  I will say that if yours is eating, has some enthusiasm for walks and anything else it's a good sign that there's some quality time remaining.

She turned 16 recently and while I'm carrying her up and down the stairs most of the time she still is super excited when I pick up the leash and wants to walk until she collapses a few times a day.  I am kind of terrified of what it's going to be like when she's gone, she's been with me the last 15+ years and while I'll be relieved she's at rest I also know it's going to be a total mindfuck.  

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your pup and plenty of lazy days enjoying the finer things 

He still very much has a taste for life. Being indoors a lot is a bit difficult for him, because he tends to get bored, but at his age the constant roaming is just no longer safe so he’s only outside when someone can supervise. His movement was much better today, I think the fresh air and normal temperature helps a lot. 

I’m sorry about your dog, it’s heartbreaking to watch them fade away. But I’m sure it was all your love and great care that gave her such long and beautiful life. Can’t imagine how sad it’s going to be without her when she’s gone, but she’ll always stay with you in spirit. 

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Right, let's have a group hug for all of us with struggling older dogs.

I'm standing here with my arms wide open, even though my venerable old lady is doing better now than when I started this thread (but still crapped on the sofa past night - smell got me up at 4)

Oh poor thing. Is this acute thing or she struggles with incontinence in general? Wishing for speedy improvement. 

19 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh poor thing. Is this acute thing or she struggles with incontinence in general? Wishing for speedy improvement. 

This morning was the first, as she obviously didn't know until it was too late - when she's got gut-rot it will always be on the towel that does duty as a door mat.
She does have some gut-rot at the moment, which obviously doesn't help; but combined with arthritis now affecting 3 limbs; and being 11 years old with a life expectancy of 10-12... The dread is setting in.

With a bit of luck, new puppa* will give her a new lease of life; and she'll have the middle child to act as a buffer for her when there's too much exuberance - just as long as she can get herself out of the way when necessary.

*To be clear, we've been looking for a few months, since before Guinness started going downhill - will always look for a pup around this stage in the life-cycle; would have looked last year; but lockdown was doing stupid things to the prices of puppies; and the shelters were doing well at finding homes. Of course, now people are returning to work, the shelters are starting to fill again; and we found Beli

Edited by Which Tyler

*Spockydog walks into garden* Maggie, what you got there? 

*Spockydog and Maggie re-enact famous 1933 battle between King Kong and the T-Rex*

*Spockydog eventually manages to prise open the Jaws of Doom* What the fuck is tha... Oh, Jesus, Maggie. Boik boik boik

:lol:

Edited by Spockydog

6 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

If they roll in poo, it's fox

If they gobble it ASAP, it's cat

If they piss on it, it's dog

If they eat it slowly, it's their own

Disgusting creatures! 

Things I have so far had to prise from my puppy's mouth, whilst walking on the street or in the woods:

Several used tissues.

A condom.

A sanitary towel.

An iphone air pod thingy.

Several snails.

Shit.

A dead mouse.

She is lovely, and I love her. But she is absolutely fucking disgusting. 

Edited by Spockydog

Tulip is approaching the 6th month mark. It’s weird, but when walking she’ll stop to sniff at other dogshit but then she does a headshake-snort combo and carries on. She does eat bugs though. Fully house trained, is cautious about other dogs yet goes ape on new people, hopping and jumping and licking and nipping. She’s a weirdo.

Not entirely sure how long I should wait to get her spayed. Breeder says a year, but two vets [because I’ve moved] have given different ages, both less than a year.

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Disgusting creatures! 

Things I have so far had to prise from my puppy's mouth, whilst walking on the street or in the woods:

Several used tissues.

A condom.

A sanitary towel.

Several snails.

Shit.

A dead mouse.

I thought it was natural. In pups and sub adults at least 

Some primitive instinct of eliminating microorganisms by eating their source 

9 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Not entirely sure how long I should wait to get her spayed. Breeder says a year, but two vets [because I’ve moved] have given different ages, both less than a year.

IMO...

Vets say very early times, as they're looking at reducing risk of cancer, unwanted litters, (and a nice payday). They don't so much care about psychology, because that's someone else's job. Therefore they tend to try to get it in before the first season, certainly before the second.

IMO...

You need the sex hormones to reach physical and psychological maturity.

To judge the physical and psychological maturity of a pup before her first season - she's the equivalent of a human girl who hasn't started menstruating yet. Which means the first season is about half way to maturity (for humans, obviously the equivalence curve for dogs is not a straight line - but it's a decent enough guide for an imperfect measure)

IMO...

If you're confident that you can keep her away from males whilst in heat... I let mine have 2-3 seasons before speying.

Edited by Which Tyler

On 7/10/2021 at 9:56 AM, Which Tyler said:

This morning was the first, as she obviously didn't know until it was too late - when she's got gut-rot it will always be on the towel that does duty as a door mat.
She does have some gut-rot at the moment, which obviously doesn't help; but combined with arthritis now affecting 3 limbs; and being 11 years old with a life expectancy of 10-12... The dread is setting in.

With a bit of luck, new puppa* will give her a new lease of life; and she'll have the middle child to act as a buffer for her when there's too much exuberance - just as long as she can get herself out of the way when necessary.

*To be clear, we've been looking for a few months, since before Guinness started going downhill - will always look for a pup around this stage in the life-cycle; would have looked last year; but lockdown was doing stupid things to the prices of puppies; and the shelters were doing well at finding homes. Of course, now people are returning to work, the shelters are starting to fill again; and we found Beli

Poor dear. Hope she improves a little and has another fair year or two. 

Good luck with the new puppy!

Having and old dog and a new pup didn’t work well for us, unfortunately, maybe it’s the sex or just Prince William’s insufferable character, but he and the chancellor became mortal enemies once the latter figured out that he didn’t need to be bossed around as he was stronger than PW, who then 100% refused to submit. 

On 7/10/2021 at 5:23 PM, Spockydog said:

Disgusting creatures! 

Several used tissues.

A condom.

A sanitary towel.

Several snails.

Shit.

A dead mouse.

To add to this wholesome list: 

- head of a fish

- dead & frozen mole 

- small birds, sometimes pigeons 

- frog*

- own vomit 

- deer skeleton

* Prince William once found and swallowed a frog in whole. Two seconds later, he threw up and the frog jumped away to be on its regular business.

Today we had an echocardiogram appointment with the chancellor. He was quite difficult, but to be fair, the pet hospital was ridiculously crowded and the workflow hardly helped.  His heartworm infection is very mild, which is good news, and we are starting his treatment this week. We can’t do this same quick treatment for Prince William because he’s too old and has other health issues, but we’ll start a treatment to kill off the larvae and slow down the spread at least. The vet said that’s the best we can do at his age and general condition. His leg is much better at least, and he seems to be overall back to his normal. 

On 7/11/2021 at 7:06 AM, JEORDHl said:

Don't know if I or my daughters can always roll 20 on vigilance. I'll have to give it a think.  

"new" research on when to neuter - dated July of last year. I wish this had been (easily findable) 5 years ago when deciding for Talisker

https://www.akcchf.org/educational-resources/library/articles/what-is-the-best-age-to.html
Contains links to the lit review itself, and the easy-read tables

Edited by Which Tyler

Oh for crying out loud… Prince William’s leg is perfectly healed, but the vet says his eyes are quite yellow, so he’s running a blood test to see his liver functions. He’s been on meds quite a bit over the past year, which was likely hard on his liver. Based on physical examination it’s hopefully not too serious and some sort of supplements may provide enough support for his liver to normalize. This also means though that we can’t start a heart worm treatment. And the vet did warn us that stuffing more medicine into his body may be counter productive. At this point I’m just inclined to let it go entirely and let him live out his last year in peace and quite with love, care, walkies and yummy meals. 

ETA: his results came back, it’s actually kidney and not liver. It may also be the root cause of his skin issues which we (and the vet) had thought to be allergy previously.  We need to keep him on a strict diet and he’s going to get a specific low fat, low sodium, low protein dry food. The rest of his results are okay for his age. The vet said we can bring the values down closer to normal to prolong his life but he’s unlikely to fully “heal” due to his age. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

So the puppy keeps eating next door's cat's poop. The filthy moggy poops in my gravel garden, and then buries it. Maggie discovers this, digs it up and eats it.

Any dog-friendly tips for how to stop this fucking cat from shitting in my garden?

Edited by Spockydog

38 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

So the puppy keeps eating next door's cat's poop. The filthy moggy poops in my gravel garden, and then buries it. Maggie discovers this, digs it up and eats it.

Any dog-friendly tips for how to stop this fucking cat from shitting in my garden?

Cats' are gonna do what cats' are gonna do. And dogs will then eat it because they're disgrossting.

Your options are a high-pitched squeeking thing that cats hate; but so do dogs and younger humans.

Denatured lion poo that scares the moggy; but may scare your doggy too.

Sharp, spikey mat things that cats don't like walking on - but then nor do dogs or humans.

Constant vigilance with a hose to wet the cat as soon as it comes near (I guess you could do the same with a sprinkler and a proximity sensor - but you'd spray everyone else as well)

Use a bigger grade of gravel that's harder for the cat to shift and get to the litter below; or sharper that they don't like walking on. Quite honestly, I'm surprised at a cat targetting a gravel bed - unless is a particularly smooth and small stone - anything 20mm+ or with sharper edges, and they keep away.

Edited by Which Tyler