Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

3 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'd probably also report the vet to whatever authority exists.

For sure. What happened to you has probably happened to others. For them to act in this manner is unforgiveable. The procedure should have been simple. Their lack of transparency is verging on criminal. Report those fuckers. 

Unfortunately, there isn't much recourse. One side-effect of my career taking me to some interesting locations is that some of those locations don't offer much assistance to non-locals in disputes. Virtually no chance I would be believed if officials even bothered to listen to me. (Sorry for the vagueness about location but no one can know my secret identity ;))

Best I can do is spread it about to people I know and make sure others avoid the place.

I do get a weeklong wrestling match with the monster, as I need to force-feed her antibiotics twice a day. Should be fun and hopefully no damage done to either party or our friendship.

More pics once I get her groomed. She needs a bath and a trim, neither of which can happen until she's healed up.

Thanks again for advices, which is totally countable.

13 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

Unfortunately, there isn't much recourse. One side-effect of my career taking me to some interesting locations is that some of those locations don't offer much assistance to non-locals in disputes. Virtually no chance I would be believed if officials even bothered to listen to me. (Sorry for the vagueness about location but no one can know my secret identity ;))

Best I can do is spread it about to people I know and make sure others avoid the place.

I do get a weeklong wrestling match with the monster, as I need to force-feed her antibiotics twice a day. Should be fun and hopefully no damage done to either party or our friendship.

More pics once I get her groomed. She needs a bath and a trim, neither of which can happen until she's healed up.

Thanks again for advices, which is totally countable.

If its pills, why not put in treats or hamburger or something? 

If its the liquid, my only advice is rather than try and shoot it down the throat from the middle of the mouth, e.g. the dog's mouth has to be basically held open....you can shoot it in from the side, between the gums, its easier and causes less resistance from the animal, as you can do it w/the mouth barely open, you might lose some product but not much.

Good luck, keep us posted.

I have always tried burying pills in treats or meat or smth. She finds them and pushes them out, even while she's chowing down. It's actually quite impressive for a creature without fingers or thumbs :D   Settling for gifting her favorite foods and treats after, so hopefully she associates "dad's gonna make me do this thing...but hey, free chicken!"

Apologies if this is something you've already tried but have you done the "hidden bomb" trick?  

Offer her a treat (I used chunks of cooked chicken), with no pill in it.  Give it to her.  If she's in good enough shape to earn it by sitting (or any other command) do that.  Repeat 3-4 times.  Then slip in the one with the pill.  Have it ready before hand so she doesn't see you fucking with it.   Usually they are so focused at that point they aren't looking for a pill and just inhale it.  

Other option is the 'dropped' treat method, same thing, hand-feed a couple bits of chicken and then 'accidentally' drop one with the pill, usually they scarf it up with less caution.

Edited by larrytheimp

28 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Apologies if this is something you've already tried but have you done the "hidden bomb" trick?  

Offer her a treat (I used chunks of cooked chicken), with no pill in it.  Give it to her.  If she's in good enough shape to earn it by sitting (or any other command) do that.  Repeat 3-4 times.  Then slip in the one with the pill.  Have it ready before hand so she doesn't see you fucking with it.   Usually they are so focused at that point they aren't looking for a pill and just inhale it.  

Other option is the 'dropped' treat method, same thing, hand-feed a couple bits of chicken and then 'accidentally' drop one with the pill, usually they scarf it up with less caution.

I'll give it a try. These are capsules with powder inside - if I understand properly, as long as she gets most/all of that, it'll be good.

She's in okay/good condition. I didn't let the infection/inflammation really get going and start causing broader issues. The antiseptic spray is probably helping keep the incision clean (previous vet told me to wash it with warm water, no other agents.

Also got some cleaning wipes to at least do a rubdown bath. The cartoonish stink lines have disappeared, though I still want her to get a good sudsy bath.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If the dog doesn't bite and has a big enough mouth you can just force the pill down her throat. She won't like it, but it's pretty effective.

Ignore this advice. The dog has been traumatized enough. :D

Larry knows what's required. His method works. Every. Single. Time.

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Ignore this advice. The dog has been traumatized enough. :D

Larry knows what's required. His method works. Every. Single. Time.

Lol,. sorry that my doggies have been good girls who will let you brush them, cut their nails, and yes, open their mouths and shove a pill down the back of it if need be. 

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Okay, Ty. Whatever you say.

Meanwhile, in reality.... :P

Just saying, I've had to do it with a few dogs, and Bailey never fought with me the last few months of her life when the vet told me I had to get the pills down her throat one way or another. She always found them in the various ways I tried to hide them, so I just held that husky's mouth open and pushed them down her throat. She was pretty cool with it after the first few times. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just saying, I've had to do it with a few dogs, and Bailey never fought with me the last few months of her life when the vet told me I had to get the pills down her throat one way or another. She always found them in the various ways I tried to hide them, so I just held that husky's mouth open and pushed them down her throat. She was pretty cool with it after the first few times. 

That's fine, you do what you have to do. Personally, I've never had to do anything like that in four decades of dog ownership. 

Edited by Spockydog

Dog monster decided she was done with her cone of shame.

She's doing a lot better. Incision actually looks like it is healing, it doesn't seem infected, she's playful and energetic again (even though I've been reining her in).

8 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

Dog monster decided she was done with her cone of shame.

She's doing a lot better. Incision actually looks like it is healing, it doesn't seem infected, she's playful and energetic again (even though I've been reining her in).

Ah, that's great news.

p.s. she looks like an absolute sweetheart!