Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

Greg - so sorry to hear that. Maarsen and solo - gorgeous :)

Spocky - Level 7 is champion-level thinking.

My doggo managed to NOT jump on seven people this afternoon, begging them to give her all of the love and pets and treats the world has ever known. Progress!

(she only jumped on two of them)

On 10/4/2021 at 10:37 AM, Lightning Lord said:

My doggo managed to NOT jump on seven people this afternoon, begging them to give her all of the love and pets and treats the world has ever known. Progress!

(she only jumped on two of them)

Maggie is at the stage where people can walk past us in the park without her immediately losing her shit and jumping all over them. But if any one of those people are foolish enough to say something like, 'Ooooh, look at the ickle puppy,' then all bets are off. They're toast.

Edited by Spockydog

20 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Maggie is at the stage where people can walk past us in the park without her immediately losing her shit and jumping all over them. But if any one of those people are foolish enough to say something like, 'Ooooh, look at the ickle puppy,' then all bets are off. They're toast.

Hahaha...yeah people don't quite know what they're getting into with my dog-monster. She's still adjusting to being alone all day and then lo! I return...and walk her where all the peoples are. It's too much for her floofy brain.

All agree she is an adorable little teddy bear though.

Mad Maggie McMad is off to see the animal quack tomorrow morning.

She's just coming up to seven months, and I booked this appointment as a pre-op assessment in advance of getting her spayed.

We've been seeing the same vet for nearly twenty years, and I really trust her. When she saw Maggie for the first time, she told me that while vets used to recommend waiting for a bitch to have one season before spaying, the thinking was now to get it done beforehand. She said doing so dramatically reduces the risk of a whole bunch of medical conditions.

Because I trust this vet so much, I accepted her recommendation without a second thought. Though, having since done some reading, as well as speaking to a schoolfriend-turned-vet, I've discovered that spaying a bitch early could disrupt her growth hormones and lead to stunting. There is also the danger of urinary incontinence. Seeing as Maggie still sprays when she gets over-excited, I think we're going to wait.

Edited by Spockydog

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear. This isn’t strictly speaking dog related, but it turns out the old man we nearly always met during the dog walks has died. He always sat in the ivy alcove in front of his house on a bench in the afternoon and we always said hi and waved to each other, or stopped for small talk when I took the Chancellor on the school route. He always asked after my mum and the other dogs, and sometimes had a group of old friends over and I could hear them chat about the economy and stuff as we passed. They were sweet. 
His wife died some years ago, before that they had sat together on that bench in the ivy alcove. And she died and he sat there alone until his old friends flocked there in the afternoon for the chat. And now neither of them sit on the bench and wave hi and ask after the dogs. Which is all well and the natural way of life, but it’s still bittersweet to think about how they had lived in that house next to the bridge and sat in front in the ivy alcove for my entire life. My mum said even for her entire life. Also, my first ever puppy was from a litter of their dog at the time. We lit a candle for him in the cemetery today. 

on a more cheerful note, we had lovely spooky walkies today because after a beautiful and sunny All Saint’s Day, the weather turned cold, rainy, foggy and very November-like. Had to towel dry the chancellor after we got back because even though the rain had stopped, he was soaked from the undergrowth. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

• 1 month later...

I feel this thread needs a revival and I have cute(?) dog updates.

Prince William (the pooch) is a shameless Machiavellian two-faced godfather. But he’s cute so he got a new bed for Christmas. That’s not good enough though, so he both poached my mum’s desk rug and had Miss Molly carve out some space on the garage workbench bottom shelf to sleep on, because he enjoys the high ground and literally looking down on the others. The only way he can pull these off anymore is teaming up with Miss Molly and sharing that shelf with her though, because only the two of them together can enforce his will against Chubs, who’s both smarter and stronger at this point in their lives. I do feel a bit bad for Chubs, but I just love their relationship. Miss Molly is the only one PW was ever really close to, he never ever under any circumstances shared his food or sleeping spot with anyone else. 

The Chancellor seems to have matured a lot and proved that he’s ready for a bed of his own. (He had three beds as a puppy and tore all of them to shreds within days. Then we gave up and he had only blankets and rugs for two and a half years) It was really cold at Christmas and he wore his jacket like a boss. He didn’t tear it up and he only took it off when I could tell he was actually too warm. He got a 15m training lead for Christmas because I really want him to be able to free walk as well. He loved it, the training lead, and he did really well. He tangled himself up around a tree only once. He was very confused and very funny. He stopped at looked at me like, What the hell now, will you please get me out! He also does this thing when you tell him to sit, or to lie down or to give a paw and instead of doing what you ask (he knew to do all these things separately in the past), he slams his butt into the ground (like a sit) then he lifts his front legs and wiggles them in the air (like a paw) and then he stretches them forward and sinks back onto the ground to arrive into a lying position. Like, I will do everything just give me the treat. Whichever you ask, he’ll cover all ground to get the food. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

• 3 weeks later...

Poor Prince William can no longer eat because his teeth are done in. I ordered him the wet version of his dog food, and while that arrives the plan is to pour clear soup over his dry food so it gets softer and he’s able to eat it. He does have appetite though because he is most eager to struggle with softer treats and the pâté in which he takes his medicine. His leg is not well either. Overall he just looks small and very old and fading. This is not super shocking or unheard of for the winter months when it’s the coldest outside. I hope that he may yet perk up a bit if we solve the food issue and he gets to go for walks in not sub/zero weather. I do still hope a little he lives to see his 14th birthday. It’d  be such a big thing. 

Edited by RhaenysBee