Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2022 at 9:38 AM, Which Tyler said:

From what I can tell with mast cells:

Grade 1 = 30% = nothing to worry about, but better out than in.
Grade 2 = 40% = completely undpredictable, can go either way in terms of nastiness.
Grade 3 = 30% = oh shit!

Stitches come out tomorrow morning, so time for an update.

The marginal tissue they took out and sent to the lab was No Abnormality Detected - so it looks like they got all of it.
The mass was confirmed as a mast cell tumour.
Mitotic index (rate of replication) was low - so Grade 1 from the above.

Vets says 10-15% chance of recurrence, given all that.

She's still wearing her Hufflepuff shirt though...

On the hand, baby-boy has now had his first birthday, and has started humping.... everything - including his sister, the piano stool, the coffee table, and my shoulder.
His hips are improving, but not right yet.
I'd like to give him another year, but if carries on like this, I'll be whip his bollox out sooner rather than later (or at least, I threatened that yesterday).

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

My dog looks like a wizard trapped in the body of a tiny brown labradoodle and it’s never going to stop being hilarious to me 

Pics or it didn't happen.
(horrible expression, but for once, I think it's allowed in this situation)

Edited by Which Tyler

14 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

The marginal tissue they took out and sent to the lab was No Abnormality Detected - so it looks like they got all of it.

Vets says 10-15% chance of recurrence, given all that.

She's still wearing her Hufflepuff shirt though...

On the hand, baby-boy has now had his first birthday, and has started humping.... everything - including his sister, the piano stool, the coffee table, and my shoulder.
His hips are improving, but not right yet.
I'd like to give him another year, but if carries on like this, I'll be whip his bollox out sooner rather than later (or at least, I threatened that yesterday).

Pics or it didn't happen.
(horrible expression, but for once, I think it's allowed in this situation)

I’ve got a video that went viral of him and it still makes me howl with laughter looking at his little face 

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZML6t4gdp/

19 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

My dog looks like a wizard trapped in the body of a tiny brown labradoodle and it’s never going to stop being hilarious to me 

Wizard doggo! Those eyebrows! Not sure how that video shows doggo being thick though... did I miss something? Am I the thick one?

18 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

That's best news that could be hoped for? Glad she's mostly in the clear.

How is the other pup humping your shoulder?

4 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

That's best news that could be hoped for? Glad she's mostly in the clear.

How is the other pup humping your shoulder?

Yep, given a mast cell tumour, that's as good as it gets.

With great alacrity and much enthusiasm.
And just in case that wasn't what you meant - he's a climber, so if I'm on the sofa, he'll jump up, stand on my lap, and hump my shoulder. It's a new thing, and a thing I won't allow to continue.

Edited by Which Tyler

Those who remember me from back in the day will probably remember me as a cat person. I am still a cat person. However I am also now a dog person. in addition to my cat Ada, I now also have a miniature pinscher named Halloween Jack. I rescued him at the beginning of the pandemic.

Went on the first walk without Prince William yesterday. It’s just not what it used to be with him. There’s nothing to watch out for, did he step into something, is he trying to eat something, is he coming, is he noticing that we are going somewhere. Chubs and Miss Molly have nobody to keep an eye on either, they kinda just walk themselves and tolerate that I tag along. They don’t need to wait for or double back to get PW. Well, the walk also felt like it may be last time before there’s nuclear smoke in the air or a threat of an air strike. Maybe it’s not, maybe it’s just my brain making things even more dramatic than they already are. Who knows anything anymore. 

I got a lagotto romagnolo puppy a bit over 4 months ago. His name is Loki, he's my first dog ever, and he's pretty much the only upside of this whole work-from-home situation. He's really cuddly, my daughter (three and a half year old) loves him and he loves her, daily walks are also great since I messed my shoulder up and had to put my training on hold. Everything fits great so far.

Only downside is that he's really curious and friendly so training him to not put everything in his mouth or jump on other people is not going as easily as the rest of the training.

I need to drag my brain out of the war rabbit hole and stir it toward a simpler and more mundane topic. 

I would like to ask for your opinions on a matter. 

The Chancellor eats a lot. In my understanding way more than he should. He eats two cups of dry dog food in the morning and in the evening. This is about the top of the range of advised portion for his size. He is 35ish kgs, that is 77-8ish lbs. 

But. He also eats a ton of extra crap. He hunts down anything and everything he can, birds, small mammals, which is fine, he is a hunting dog with hunting dog genetics. He also eats all these prey animals though. And vegetables and nuts and fruit in the warmer months. I have never seen a dog be so fond of fruit.

None of this is something we can realistically control. He is outside all day in a large garden, there’s no way to stop or even catch in the action when he eats pears or apples and dissects a pigeon or mole. When we do, it’s obviously immediately taken away from him, but it’s only 1-2 times out of 10. 

If we decrease his dog food portion, he is motivated to eat more organic food and certainly does so, tried and tested. If we increase it, we are at even more calories because he still won’t miss the chance to eat organic things because it’s fun.

Maybe we just need to accept it and instead of weaning him off eating the nature around him, we should get onto a dental/oral hygiene routine. 

I wouldn't worry about how much he's eating - so long as he's burning it all.

If he's fit and healthy, and you see/feel his ribs - then he's fine.

If he's lazy and sluggish, and you have to go hunting to find a rib, then he's overweight - in which case it might be diet, or it might be exercise, or (most likely) both.

We've always stuck with recommended dose of food for Loki, but before we had him groomed the first time, everyone thought he was fat. I tried to explain it's mostly hair but few people got that. Once we groomed him and all that extra hair was off, we were shocked how thin he looked, borderline malnourished. It was cosmetic, since he had enough energy throughout the day, was playful and all that, but still we increased his daily food amount by around 20% and now he's looking much better. Still being a puppy (sort of) at 7 months, he burns it all off so it's not a problem.

We're also waiting to see how much he'd grow eventually. According to standards, lagotto males should weigh 15-16kg but I've seen some in my neighbourhood who are over 20kg. And they're not fat, just big. It's not that we are aiming to take Loki to dog shows or anything that would require him to fit the "standards", it's just that we would like to know what to expect.

This is something I've had to think about recently. The vet says my dog should be around 12kg and the most recent visit was a bit over 13kg. That's not a big deal but I obviously have overdone it with feeding, especially when I was stuck unable to walk her regularly for a few weeks. The point is, I've reduced her food a bit just to make sure no problem arises.

As others noted, I think if The Chancellor is still fit and active, no developing paunch, you're probably okay. I admit that that seemed like a lot of food to me, but my doggo is 1/3 the size, so. :)

our catahoula puppy has developed a taste for desiccants--not just the low-end stuff in shoe boxes, but the hard core product that ships with mediocre furniture. 

i'm not sure if he's a greater connoisseur in that regard than our coprophagic bochi--but certainly the pit bull is indiscriminate in eating doors.

completely unrelated, i have three free dogs for sale.