Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

My old dog (13 year old, completely deaf) has a nasty udder infection, it doesen't seem to actually hurt her (other than being annoying) but it's basically a fist-sized lump on one of her teat (as well as some smaller ones in the other ones) vet was basically "Well, she's too old to operate on, so just leave it as it is, try to keep it clean if it bursts (which it has once) and if she starts suffering we'll put her down." So that's sad. 

Ha. I made friends with my “neighbor-to-the-right’s” brand new dog. He left her out back, so I went over to make friends. 

No matter how much of an asshole her owner is, she is a very sweet girl. Within 2 minutes of seeing me she had walked to the fence and was wagging her tail and licking my hand. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

We buried Prince William’s ashes today in my mum’s garden. It took a while because we had a pet tomb stone made and then needed to schedule a time that fit everybody, because my dad wanted to come too. His little grave is very beautiful and I’m glad we said goodbye to him as a family because he was a family dog. We all loved him and have special memories of him. 

Also Chubbs barked at my father for a bit, before she sniffed his legs to recognize him. Then she jumped on him and hugged his legs, I couldn’t believe it. Dogs are incredible. 

• 2 weeks later...

An entire crew of incredibly well trained rescue pros were the heroes of Los Angeles last week-

Los Angeles firefighters work nearly two hours to rescue two people and a dog trapped in a strong current. 
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/03/29/firefighters-rescue-dog-los-angeles-river-orig.cnn

^^^You'll love the dog rescue video at that link.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

Can anyone recommend a doggie seat belt to keep Maggie safe in the back seat of the car? 

Was driving along today when she saw some horses in a field, then immediately decided she needed a better view from the front seat. Stupid dog nearly killed the pair of us. 

On 7/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, Which Tyler said:

Guinness crosses the Rainbow Bridge tomorrow.

I'm a complete wreck

Watched a painting programme last night (well, wife-ish watched whilst I played on my phone)

They were painting a shire horse called Guinness.

Every time they mentioned his name, Talisker looked up, and twice left the sofa all excited to search around the house, obviously, we stopped watching after the second occassion.

Edited by Which Tyler

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is there any real shame, as someone who has owned three great dogs before, in admitting that the dog you adopted from a rescue agency is just fucking terrible and dangerous and needs to be put down? 

It's irresponsible of an agency to adopt out such a dog, at least if you weren't made aware of its issues. And even if you were, it might take someone with a lot more experience and time to be able to make a dent in the dog's behavioral issues. I don't see any shame in it.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

It's irresponsible of an agency to adopt out such a dog, at least if you weren't made aware of its issues. And even if you were, it might take someone with a lot more experience and time to be able to make a dent in the dog's behavioral issues. I don't see any shame in it.

They said she's really energic and can get a little aggressive, but that feels like a massive undersell. I've been around dogs my entire life and I can only recall a dog really trying to bite me once and I deserved it because I messed with the dogs food while it was eating in it's kennel. This dog has now tried to bite me four times in less than four months and last night she went for my face. I'm just lucky she's not that big (45-50lbs) and that I reacted quickly and was able to smack her face before she got to me. She's also tried to bite one of the other people in the house a few times and she's growled at the few guests we've had over before locking her up. 

This is the exact reason why I'm not a big fan of rescue dogs. She's been passed around several times and it may be impossible for her to unlearn her behavioral traits. 

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This dog has now tried to bite me four times in less than four months and last night she went for my face. I'm just lucky she's not that big (45-50lbs) and that I reacted quickly and was able to smack her face before she got to me. She's also tried to bite one of the other people in the house a few times and she's growled at the few guests we've had over before locking her up. 

You need to get rid. It's not worth the risk. Harsh as it sounds, that dog needs special attention, probably euthanising. I'd send her back to the shelter. And until you do, please do not underestimate the damage an angry, fifty pound dog can do to your face.

Edited by Spockydog

How old is she? If she's older, and it all feels really random when she bites/growls with no obvious triggers, she might possibly be reacting to pain that isn't immediately obvious. Has she had a vet check that has looked at things like responses to joint and back stimulus?

Otherwise, she's likely acting out of insecurity and I think this is salvageable but probably not in a shared household. She likely needs very predictable, very orderly routine, and for a time someone's full attention to help her get over insecurity.

I'd talk to the shelter. But if they are incapable of finding her a really suitable home, or have had multiple people pass who they thought could handle her, they may not be equipped to handle her. I wonder if talking to some other shelters in the area about her issues and qualities might reveal they are better suited to take her and find her a home that is prepared for her behavior and can help settle her?

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They said she's really energic and can get a little aggressive, but that feels like a massive undersell. I've been around dogs my entire life and I can only recall a dog really trying to bite me once and I deserved it because I messed with the dogs food while it was eating in it's kennel. This dog has now tried to bite me four times in less than four months and last night she went for my face. I'm just lucky she's not that big (45-50lbs) and that I reacted quickly and was able to smack her face before she got to me. She's also tried to bite one of the other people in the house a few times and she's growled at the few guests we've had over before locking her up. 

This is the exact reason why I'm not a big fan of rescue dogs. She's been passed around several times and it may be impossible for her to unlearn her behavioral traits. 

It’s absolutely okay to get her back to the shelter, that’s the responsible decision for your own sake and for the dog’s. It’s sad, but unless an expert is able to handle her and retrain her, the least cruel and most responsible course of action for the shelter to put her down. It’s awful and heartbreaking, but they probably need to allocate tight resources in order to save and retrain five semi-messed up dogs than one beyond-messed up one.

And yes, kinda why I never had a shelter dog. Most of our dogs were adopted straight from the litter, or picked up from the roadside as puppies after someone dumped them. No time for them to go through irreversible trauma you have no idea about. I’m 100% an advocate of mixes/mutts straight from unwanted litters. I’d pick such doggo over a shelter rescue or a kennel breed. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

Miss Molly seems to have got over losing PW. She is way more attached to people than before though. Not sure if this is due to the special attention and love she got, after PW died, or it’s a general trust thing. She has been the smallest one her entire life, always at the bottom of the hierarchy, which made her wary and on edge. She was never the kind of dog who walks up to you and sticks her head under your palm. But then, this winter, we took her to the vet by the car. Previously the vet had always done a house call so this was Miss Molly’s first time going anywhere by car since her spaying. She sat in my lap in the car, her little heart pounding, I carried her in and held her on the exam table, then carried her back and held her on the way home. And since then she seems to completely trust me and she will walk up to me to ask for a head rub. I suppose it’s a combination of both these experiences that she dares to proactively ask for attention and love. Before, you kinda had to hunt her down in the garden and spend several minutes to convince her to let you pet her. 

5 hours ago, Ran said:

How old is she? If she's older, and it all feels really random when she bites/growls with no obvious triggers, she might possibly be reacting to pain that isn't immediately obvious. Has she had a vet check that has looked at things like responses to joint and back stimulus?

Otherwise, she's likely acting out of insecurity and I think this is salvageable but probably not in a shared household. She likely needs very predictable, very orderly routine, and for a time someone's full attention to help her get over insecurity.

I'd talk to the shelter. But if they are incapable of finding her a really suitable home, or have had multiple people pass who they thought could handle her, they may not be equipped to handle her. I wonder if talking to some other shelters in the area about her issues and qualities might reveal they are better suited to take her and find her a home that is prepared for her behavior and can help settle her?

She's probably just shy of 2. And we did hope that part of her initial problems were due to her having stomach worms. She's been doing better since that has resolved, but the other day was a reminder that she can just snap. There was no reason for her to bite me at all. I was petting her for a few minutes and as I started to move she just lunged.

The shelter situation is complicated because in the process of getting the dog they claimed they get to take her back if it wasn't a fit. I doubt that's legally binding though and frankly feels like another red flag that should have been seen. 

Also, I don't believe I've mentioned her breed. She's something I've never heard of called a Carolina dog, mixed with either a German or Husky. The former breed is not as domesticated as other mainstream breeds. :dunno:

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

And yes, kinda why I never had a shelter dog. Most of our dogs were adopted straight from the litter, or picked up from the roadside as puppies after someone dumped them. No time for them to go through irreversible trauma you have no idea about. I’m 100% an advocate of mixes/mutts straight from unwanted litters. I’d pick such doggo over a shelter rescue or a kennel breed. 

:agree:

Does Cesar Milan still have his show? :leaving:

Nah, seriously, if the issues are as severe as you describe, it really might be best to get her back to a shelter. Better that than you ending up as her new chewing toy.

About 2 y.o. you say? Somehow I think you might have gotten a corona pup, from a owner that had no idea what they were doing.