Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

First rule of buying a pet: Do not purchase any animal that is big enough to overpower and eat you.

Point taken. I am capable of controlling a big dog however a mastiff would outweigh my wife.

Found a juvenile German Shepherd tied to a tree in the woods today. One of the most upsetting things I've ever had to deal with.

At first I thought the dog had run into some thick undergrowth and got stuck in some nettles or something, as Maggie sometimes does. But some bastard had led the dog away from the path, into deep brush, and tied him to a tree. The only reason I went to investigate was because I heard him barking and howling as we began our walk. He was still there an hour later when we returned. I know the sound of a dog in distress. 

Another dog walker held on to Maggie as I scrambled into the bushes. I couldn't believe it when I saw him tied to that tree. 

The dog was an absolute sweetheart. So licky. He was hungry and thirsty. Luckily, i always carry a bowl and a litre of water on woods walks, as well as a bag of Lily's Kitchen treats. He scoffed the whole packet, much to Maggie's chagrin.

As we were wondering what to do, another couple came down the path with a pair of spaniels. Their son had recently lost his own German Shepherd to cancer. They got him on the phone, and he immediately said "That's my dog now." 

He was there in twenty minutes. As he sank to his knees and embraced the dog, we all burst into tears. 

Edited by Spockydog

Worth noting, I think you're still legally required to report to the dog warden, and get the dog checked for a microchip.

There's a chance the dog may have to be returned, but there's a greater chance that the owner would be prosecuted and the dog removed (and given to the new guy).

Of course, there's also a good chance that this dog had been stolen from someone to use as a breeding bitch/stud, and has had any microchip removed with a kitchen knife.

That would be the legal answer. Personally, I'd scour the likes of "animals lost and found" for any German Shepherd that looks like that, but otherwise keep quiet. If no scar found, then just keeping quiet (though any future vet appointments might run into trouble)

Edited by Which Tyler

9 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Worth noting, I think you're still legally required to report to the dog warden, and get the dog checked for a microchip.

There's a chance the dog may have to be returned, but there's a greater chance that the owner would be prosecuted and the dog removed (and given to the new guy).

Of course, there's also a good chance that this dog had been stolen from someone to use as a breeding bitch/stud, and has had any microchip removed with a kitchen knife.

That would be the legal answer. Personally, I'd scour the likes of "animals lost and found" for any German Shepherd that looks like that, but otherwise keep quiet. If no scar found, then just keeping quiet (though any future vet appointments might run into trouble)

The young chap who took the dog said the first thing he was going to do was take him to the vet. Abandoning an animal like that is a crime, so I hope he is chipped and that the police are able to take action. 

• 1 month later...

Picking up the poo in the garden this morning, I found a big old dead rat. Massive bloody thing. Picking it up was horrible. No visible sign of trauma, so I guess Maggie must have killed it with a shake. Glad she didn't decide to eat it as well. :ack:

Edited by Spockydog

A Shih Tzu/Yorkie mix aka Shorkie female pup has come to takeover my living room.

Our adult Calico cat preferring the loft much more since Mia's arrival. 

Anxious for spring as both will have the pet door to green pastures in our rural area.

The Shorkie looks similar to this one-

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

19 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Picking up the poo in the garden this morning, I found a big old dead rat. Massive bloody thing. Picking it up was horrible. No visible sign of trauma, so I guess Maggie must have killed it with a shake. Glad she didn't decide to eat it as well. :ack:

Wasn't killing rats were her breed was originally meant to do?

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 11:34 AM, Week said:

Does anyone have recommendations of books/training programs for pups? We're planning on getting a dog in the next year -- boxer, mastiff, or something similar -- and I've never raised and trained a dog before. Starting with the 'Art of Raising a Puppy's by the monks of New Skete and I'm interested in anything that may be newer or offer a different perspective. TIA!

My first dog was a boxer (also my third dog, who is pictured to the left) and I think they're a great choice for a first dog.  They're smart enough to be easily trained, although they can be a little stubborn at times.  They act like idiots, though, which is amusing.  They're typically good with other dogs, adults, and are well known as a breed that is good with children.  I think it's because they have a high pain tolerance, and so they won't get pissy if a kid tugs on their ear or pinches them like some other breeds might, and will likely just interpret it as an invitation to play.  

And you get to take all sorts of ridiculous photos like this.

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

My first dog was a boxer (also my third dog, who is pictured to the left) and I think they're a great choice for a first dog.  They're smart enough to be easily trained, although they can be a little stubborn at times.  They act like idiots, though, which is amusing.  They're typically good with other dogs, adults, and are well known as a breed that is good with children.  I think it's because they have a high pain tolerance, and so they won't get pissy if a kid tugs on their ear or pinches them like some other breeds might, and will likely just interpret it as an invitation to play.  

And you get to take all sorts of ridiculous photos like this.

Yeah, almost certainly the direction we're going. I mentioned before that we had one that my wife had raised prior to us meeting -- so I was able to enjoy a fairly well-trained beast for about 5-6 years. 

How did you find your boxers? Rescues or from kennels that you researched?

22 minutes ago, Week said:

Yeah, almost certainly the direction we're going. I mentioned before that we had one that my wife had raised prior to us meeting -- so I was able to enjoy a fairly well-trained beast for about 5-6 years. 

How did you find your boxers? Rescues or from kennels that you researched?

All three of my dogs came from breeders.  Middle dog was a German Shepherd.

They've all been pretty healthy.  I lost my first boxer to cancer at around ten and a half, but he was mostly healthy prior to that.  The Shepherd literally never went to the vet for anything other than check-ups and shots until he started getting sick shortly after turning eleven last year, and cancer got him shortly after as well.  Current boxer similarly has only been to the vet for her vaccinations and the occasional allergy shot (cytopoint has been amazing for her) and she turned five at the end of October.

I haven't fully committed yet, but I'll probably get a fourth dog in a year or so and I'm definitely leaning toward another boxer.  The GSD was a fine dog, but I just don't want to ever deal with that type of shedding again.  It was awful.

I have no issues with adopting, but I look at a dog as a (hopefully) decade-plus commitment, and so I'd prefer to hedge my bets and get a dog from a reliable breeder.  I get to raise the dog from eight weeks on.  I know there's no significant trauma in their past that may randomly manifest itself as aggression.  I know that the dogs come from a line of animals without serious behavioral issues.  And I've so far had pretty good luck with health going the breeder route too.

Edited by briantw

We've had our dog (a lab mix) for almost 2 years.  We got him when he was about 5 months old, and he's very sweet, and a good size (smaller than most labs).  Our son is very attached to him. 

He has some irritating habits with chewing and general hyperactivity, but on the whole he was doing fine in our house.  But in the past 4 or so months, he's started peeing in the house again.  He particularly likes beds and blankets.  This is not him needing to go out, as he has done it just within just a few minutes of coming back from a walk (where I know he peed multiple times). 

It is extremely frustrating because we aren't really sure where he got this habit from or why it is only coming up now.  At the moment we are just trying to keep him out of any of the bedrooms, but that is an imperfect solution with our young son who almost never remembers to shut his door. 

We are taking him to additional dog training and I've talked to vet friends who said that maybe this is from anxiety and some meds would help.  But we are really hoping we can get this resolved soon, because we are all pretty fed up with cleaning up all these messes. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

We've had our dog (a lab mix) for almost 2 years.  We got him when he was about 5 months old, and he's very sweet, and a good size (smaller than most labs).  Our son is very attached to him. 

He has some irritating habits with chewing and general hyperactivity, but on the whole he was doing fine in our house.  But in the past 4 or so months, he's started peeing in the house again.  He particularly likes beds and blankets.  This is not him needing to go out, as he has done it just within just a few minutes of coming back from a walk (where I know he peed multiple times). 

It is extremely frustrating because we aren't really sure where he got this habit from or why it is only coming up now.  At the moment we are just trying to keep him out of any of the bedrooms, but that is an imperfect solution with our young son who almost never remembers to shut his door. 

We are taking him to additional dog training and I've talked to vet friends who said that maybe this is from anxiety and some meds would help.  But we are really hoping we can get this resolved soon, because we are all pretty fed up with cleaning up all these messes. 

If the dog is 'hyperactive' it probably means he isn't getting exercised enough, that might also be what is causing the anxiety and the other behaviors.  You probably know that labs were bred as hunting dogs...running around for miles and miles retrieving fowl.  They need a lot of exercise.