Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Which Tyler

The solution to that door scratching conundrum was meal adjustment.
We increased his daily food portion by a cup and split it between evening and morning. He has 3 cups for dinner around 7-8pm and 2 cups for breakfast around 6-7am. He also gets some extra cuddles and a 2-3 extra exercises to complete for a treat before he goes to bed with the feeling of being an accomplished good boi with a full tummy who sleeps through the night. 

My sister and BIL had to put down their older dog yesterday.  His name was Wodie, and he was pretty great.  I've known him the entirety of their relationship, so about 7 or 8 years now, he was pretty old and was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor a few weeks ago.  Still kinda surprised it happened so fast.

Anyway, they also have a younger rescue named Reese.  I..think she's about 4 or 5 at this point, but I'm honestly not sure - and I'm definitely not gonna text my sister to ask right now.  But, to be clear, she is an "adult," and actually has gotten pretty "fat" which I joke around about.  (She's fine, I just think they overfeed her.)  Point is she's still in that incorrigible mode which I usually associate with puppies.

She can be a handful - and there's been a concern in the past because when playing with Wodie she will occasionally bite.  I was just wondering if any of y'all had advice on dealing with a younger dog after losing an older companion?  Reese has only known life with Wodie, and I'm particularly worried how she adapts with my 17-month-old niece in the same house.  Any and all advice is welcome - thanks! 

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

My sister and BIL had to put down their older dog yesterday.  His name was Wodie, and he was pretty great.  I've known him the entirety of their relationship, so about 7 or 8 years now, he was pretty old and was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor a few weeks ago.  Still kinda surprised it happened so fast.

Anyway, they also have a younger rescue named Reese.  I..think she's about 4 or 5 at this point, but I'm honestly not sure - and I'm definitely not gonna text my sister to ask right now.  But, to be clear, she is an "adult," and actually has gotten pretty "fat" which I joke around about.  (She's fine, I just think they overfeed her.)  Point is she's still in that incorrigible mode which I usually associate with puppies.

She can be a handful - and there's been a concern in the past because when playing with Wodie she will occasionally bite.  I was just wondering if any of y'all had advice on dealing with a younger dog after losing an older companion?  Reese has only known life with Wodie, and I'm particularly worried how she adapts with my 17-month-old niece in the same house.  Any and all advice is welcome - thanks! 

It may be too late, but can you show Reese the body?  This way they know what happened and will not worry that their friend was taken out of the house and disappeared, they will 'get it' and it's easier for them to move on.  Otherwise, my answer for almost everything, a lot of exercise.  A tired dog is almost always a good dog.  The obvious final solution is to get another dog, but your sister may not be ready for that yet or ever.  Good luck.