Jump to content
Which Tyler

Dogs III - the return of the furbaby thread

Recommended Posts

Photos, short video, commentary from interested watchers via Twits, for the annual Westminster Dog Show, held outdoors this past weekend at a ye olde robber baron's estate (Jay Gould) in Westchester, instead of the Madison Square Garden. Also, ya, June, not in the winter, as it is usually done too.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/06/13/sports/westminster-dog-show

The Best in Show went to a Pekinese of the bloodlines of champions.  His name: Wasabi.

This year four new breeds were recognized by the American Kennel Club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 6:24 AM, briantw said:

It seems that most people who have boxers stick with boxers, and I totally understand why.  

Same here! My grandparents had a boxer, when my dad was young, so when my parents got dogs, we had two Boxers and now my wife and I have a Boxer, too. She's one year old and they are just great family dogs, she loves to play, loves kids but doesn't mind spending a day in the office with me either. I just love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Kolo was so exceptional that we 'retired the breed' when she died, much like a football team 'retires the shirt' when losing a legendary icon. 

So no more Border Terriers for us now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Our Kolo was so exceptional that we 'retired the breed' when she died, much like a football team 'retires the shirt' when losing a legendary icon. 

So no more Border Terriers for us now. 

So Airedales are still a go? Asking for a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dog of England said:

So Airedales are still a go? Asking for a friend.

Airedales were on the shortlist. We wanted a dog slightly bigger than a Border, and the Airedale ticked a lot of boxes. But then I discovered Wheaties, and that was that. Just had to have one.

She is amazing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She certainly is cute. Our Airedale's best friend was a Wheatie. When they saw each other at a distance they would get so excited and could not wait to be together. I think you made a great choice. All the best to both of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Alarich II said:

Same here! My grandparents had a boxer, when my dad was young, so when my parents got dogs, we had two Boxers and now my wife and I have a Boxer, too. She's one year old and they are just great family dogs, she loves to play, loves kids but doesn't mind spending a day in the office with me either. I just love them.

I didn't have boxers growing up, sadly.  When I was a real little kid, we had a Maltese that sucked, but that was my only dog growing up.  Got my first boxer in college after one of my good friends recommended the breed and I had done a little research.  Seemed ideal for my college lifestyle.  Low maintenance in regards to grooming, I was around all the time to train, high energy but great with people, so perfect when we had parties...a nice fit for a student lifestyle. 

I remember we had an actual party for his first birthday where it was just a normal college party where we all got shitfaced and played beer pong, flip cup, and other similar games while the dog just ran around and had a wonderful time getting petted by two dozen people.  He particularly loved beer pong, and would chase down the ping pong balls when they hit the floor.  Strangely, he didn't destroy them.  He just held them gingerly in his mouth until someone took it from him.  My second boxer has done the same thing the few times she has been exposed to beer pong, but they never met so she definitely didn't learn it from him.  

But yeah, they are all around a great breed.  Medium sized and muscular, so you can take them on athletic and outdoorsy activities but they're also not massive, so you can have one in an apartment or a house.  They're usually very social, so you can take them to breweries and dog parks, and usually don't have to worry about having friends over (the main thing mine will do is lick the hell out of you).  They don't shed a ton unless you have a white one, in which case it's a nightmare.  Easy to clean.  They're kind of dumb, but in a really endearing way.  And they just have a lot of personality compared to many other breeds.  My German Shepherd is really smart and obedient as all hell, but he's also kind of boring.  

Edited by briantw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 6:24 AM, briantw said:

It seems that most people who have boxers stick with boxers, and I totally understand why.  

Can confirm. Growing up, my family had all sorts of dogs, mostly mutts of various kinds, but when I moved to Sweden to be with Linda, she'd always had boxers. We've had five since then, including the latest, and we've no plans to have anything but boxers until... I don't know, when we're too decrepit to handle their energy and rambunctiousness. We'll be getting a second when we find the right one, later this year or next, as well -- after having both Breeze and Winter, we'll never (well, see above, re: energy and rambunctiousness) go back to having just the one.

Speaking of Winter, recorded this the other day:

They really do have a lot of personality. I need to catch him when he's flopped on the grass and gives me the evil eye when I try and get him to resume the walk...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ranivaka said:

Can confirm. Growing up, my family had all sorts of dogs, mostly mutts of various kinds, but when I moved to Sweden to be with Linda, she'd always had boxers. We've had five since then, including the latest, and we've no plans to have anything but boxers until... I don't know, when we're too decrepit to handle their energy and rambunctiousness. We'll be getting a second when we find the right one, later this year or next, as well -- after having both Breeze and Winter, we'll never (well, see above, re: energy and rambunctiousness) go back to having just the one.

Speaking of Winter, recorded this the other day:

They really do have a lot of personality. I need to catch him when he's flopped on the grass and gives me the evil eye when I try and get him to resume the walk...

Very sweet, our boxer bitch Jojo is almost exactly the same colour, just less white (completely dark face). I really  like it.  

We had two Boxers (both bitches) when I was a kid, and I loved it. But but occasionally they would get into massive fights, so I'm kind of torn on the issue. Besides, we can barely fit the travelbox and two children into our car, so a second dog would require a new one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

Very sweet, our boxer bitch Jojo is almost exactly the same colour, just less white (completely dark face). I really  like it.  

Yeah, the completely dark face can be really striking. Our boxer Ringo had a black mask, except for a tiny bit of white on his under jaw.

15 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

We had two Boxers (both bitches) when I was a kid, and I loved it. But but occasionally they would get into massive fights, so I'm kind of torn on the issue. Besides, we can barely fit the travelbox and two children into our car, so a second dog would require a new one. 

Linda wants a third some day, spaced out so that (fingers crossed) no dog will ever be left without a companion... but even our capacious Volvo won't fit three (especially as we prefer males). We'll have to get something bigger if we go that way, a minivan or something like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ranivaka said:

Linda wants a third some day, spaced out so that (fingers crossed) no dog will ever be left without a companion... but even our capacious Volvo won't fit three (especially as we prefer males). 

Three male boxers! That's going to be one lively household!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Alarich II said:

Three male boxers! That's going to be one lively household!

Oh, for sure. Breeze and Winter would wrestle around like mad on occasion. Three way fights ... I didn't think about how much that may impact the household insurance costs...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ranivaka said:

Can confirm. Growing up, my family had all sorts of dogs, mostly mutts of various kinds, but when I moved to Sweden to be with Linda, she'd always had boxers. We've had five since then, including the latest, and we've no plans to have anything but boxers until... I don't know, when we're too decrepit to handle their energy and rambunctiousness. We'll be getting a second when we find the right one, later this year or next, as well -- after having both Breeze and Winter, we'll never (well, see above, re: energy and rambunctiousness) go back to having just the one.

Speaking of Winter, recorded this the other day:

They really do have a lot of personality. I need to catch him when he's flopped on the grass and gives me the evil eye when I try and get him to resume the walk...

So strange to see a boxer with a tail.  I know that's very common in Europe (it's illegal in many countries to dock them, right?), but you never see it in the States.  Even some mixed breeds that look kind of like boxers have their tails docked here, which seems insanely pointless to me but whatever.  I've never even had the option of going undocked with my two boxers because they do it at around three days old, which was before I knew either dog existed.  

Edited by briantw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, briantw said:

So strange to see a boxer with a tail.  I know that's very common in Europe (it's illegal in many countries to dock them, right?), but you never see it in the States.  Even some mixed breeds that look kind of like boxers have their tails docked here, which seems insanely pointless to me but whatever.  I've never even had the option of going undocked with my two boxers because they do it at around three days old, which was before I knew either dog existed.  

I wish it was illegal here too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wish it was illegal here too. 

Probably will be at some point.

I find doing the ears to be far more reprehensible than the tails, though, since they do it at a much older age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boxer love :wub::wub:

Currently in an apartment that does not allow dogs - devastating. Although, we don't have a good place for a puppy as we're on the third floor without outdoor space. Soon we will though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, briantw said:

So strange to see a boxer with a tail. 

It was legal here until the end of the 90ies, so my parents boxers still had a docked tail, but ears already uncropped. 

The origin of the tail docking afaik is that the Boxer was bred as a service dog, that could be used in the Police. So the docking was done, because tail wagging (which they are prone to do) in close quarters can break the tail when it smashes agains a wall or a tree.

Now that I got used to the look, I prefer them with the tail, it kind of gives them a more "complete" look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The perfect thread to gush about my beloveds. 

We took the Chancellor to the vet yesterday. He tested positive for heart worms too but fortunately the infection is very mild. He got a spot on treatment and we’ll take him for a heart ultrasound, just in case, but he should have a quick and safe recover. 

On the upside, his behavior was incomparable to how it was last summer.  I suppose the neutering and the half-assed dog training we did made a difference after all. And I suppose time played quite a part in his calming down as well. He was so calm and still in the car, he Stayed when we opened the door and let me get out first, we took a walk while we waited and he didn’t go nuts and pull. We did have an issue when we walked out of the exam room. There were several dogs arriving and they started barking at him.  He was obviously still stressed and upset about the examinations, so he lost his shit for a minute but we could bring him back from the frenzy so very beautifully. We stopped and got him to focus on us, he stopped barking and sat down so well, he got a treat and we managed to walk away and ignore the other dogs without further tantrum. I was so very proud of him. He’s come such a long way. There are still miles ahead but this trip confirmed how much progress we’ve made with him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good boy, Chancellor! :)  Good, good boy!  Glad the heart condition was mild and early caught so he gets lots of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...