Israel: When the Drums of War Have Reached a Fever Pitch

IFR

Mohamed Elneny, an Egyptian Muslim who plays football for Arsenal is in trouble for one of his tweets.

Israeli coffee maker, Lavazza, who sponsor the club, issued the following statement, whilst demanding the club take disciplinary action against the player.

“Content of this post is totally not aligned with our company values. Lavazza Group is fully committed against racism and antisemitism.”

Here follows the offending tweet. Trigger Warning - Gal Gadot, if you're reading this, for the sake of the babies, I urge you to look away now.

Go fuck yourselves, Lavazza. Your coffee tastes like goat vomit.

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Mohamed Elneny, an Egyptian Muslim who plays football for Arsenal is in trouble for one of his tweets.

Israeli coffee maker, Lavazza, who sponsor the club, issued the following statement, whilst demanding the club take disciplinary action against the player.

Here follows the offending tweet. Trigger Warning - Gal Gadot, if you're reading this, for the sake of the babies, I urge you to look away now.

Go fuck yourselves, Lavazza. Your coffee tastes like goat vomit.

Given the issues raised in this thread, can you not understand why an Israeli company might take issue with that? 

And to be clear, I don't have an issue with the tweet or the player in question, but to be very clear, it directly hits at what so many Jewish Israelis fear.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Given the issues raised in this thread, can you not understand why an Israeli company might take issue with that? 

And to be clear, I don't have an issue with the tweet or the player in question, but to be very clear, it directly hits at what so many Jewish Israelis fear. Can you try to understand why it spooks so many Jews?

I have an issue with the absurd accusations of racism and antisemitism. It's fucking pathetic, and devalues the fight against actual, non-imagined racism. 

And why would Elneny's tweet, a simple message of support for his Palestinian brethren, spook so many Jews? Eh? Is it because this heartfelt, non-violent expression of solidarity with a brutally oppressed people might make some elements of polite Israeli society pause for a moment of introspection, and, perhaps, feel some tiny fucking morsel of shame?

11 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I have an issue with the absurd accusations of racism and antisemitism. It's fucking pathetic, and devalues the fight against real, non-imagined, racism. 

And why should Elneny's tweet, a simple message of support for his Palestinian brethren spook so many Jews? Eh? Is it because this heartfelt, non-violent expression of solidarity with a brutally oppressed people might make some elements of polite Jewish society take a moment of introspection, and, perhaps, feel some tiny fucking morsel of shame?

It's an overreaction, I don't disagree, but say the US and Canada were in a territorial dispute. If I posted a picture of the map of the North America with a US flag over it, how should I expect Canadians to feel? Now make all Canadians a minority the world kind of hates, with them feeling like they only have one homeland to be safe in. 

There are close to eight billion people on the planet. There are around 15 million Jews, which is fewer than at the start of WW2. Can you understand how such an image would scare Jews? The key issue from the Jewish perspective in this conflict is will there be an independent Jewish state? If your answer is no, don't be surprised that you get reactions like this.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's an overreaction, I don't disagree, but say the US and Canada were in a territorial dispute. If I posted a picture of the map of the North America with a flag over it, how should I expect Canadians to feel? Now make all Canadians a minority the world kind of hates, them feeling like they only have one homeland to be safe in. 

There are close to eight billion people on the planet. There are around 15 million Jews, which is fewer than at the start of WW2. Can you understand such an image would scare Jews?

I can understand why some Jewish Fox-brain-rotted types might suck up the koolaid and be frightened by such an simple, non-violent message. Yeah, I can totally get that.

But I reject entirely the notion that Elneny's post is racist and antisemitic, whatever your nonsensically irrelevant hypothetical might suggest.

And look, while I'm no expert in international relations, if Israel wants the world to stop hating it, maybe try dialling down the genocide a notch or two.....? One for the suggestion box, at least.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Arsenal, the same club that sent a message of apology to Chinese fans after Mesut Ozil tweeted support for Uighurs. So not totally confident in how they’re going to respond here.

20 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I can understand why some Jewish Fox-brain-rotted types might suck up the koolaid and be frightened by such an simple, non-violent message. Yeah, I can totally get that.

But I reject entirely the notion that Elneny's post is racist and antisemitic, whatever your nonsensically irrelevant hypothetical might suggest.

You may be surprised to hear even super liberal Jews who aren't religious, like myself, can sympathize with those fears. And when you talk about genocides, keep in mind why most Jews believe they need their own state.

7 minutes ago, john said:

Arsenal, the same club that sent a message of apology to Chinese fans after Mesut Ozil tweeted support for Uighurs. So not totally confident in how they’re going to respond here.

Actually, they basically told Lavazza to do one. They said their players are entitled to express their views (sorry, Mesut), so Lavazza are now bleating to the FA, trying to get them to suspended Elneny.

As I said, fucking pathetic.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And when you talk about genocides, keep in mind why most Jews believe they need their own state.

So what happened eighty years ago justifies the genocidal treatment of the Palestinians? Is that what you're saying?

3 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

So what happened eighty years ago justifies the genocidal treatment of the Palestinians? Is that what you're saying?

I'm saying the world is very complicated and a calm, nuanced approach is what serves everyone best. 

So just as a starting point, do you believe there should be a Jewish state? Answer nothing else, just that. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm saying the world is very complicated and a calm, nuanced approach is what serves everyone best. 

So just as a starting point, do you believe there should be a Jewish state? Answer nothing else, just that. 

Yes, of course I do.

And, yes, the world is complicated. But one thing I'm sure we can all agree on is that genocide is bad.

Except when it's happening in Gaza, because then we're not allowed to talk about it.

We can talk about it in China, but not in Gaza. Why is that?

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Trigger Warning - Gal Gadot, if you're reading this, for the sake of the babies, I urge you to look away now.

While I agree Lavazza is being ridiculous I don't get the swipe at Gadot.  From what I understand of that, the backlash she received was equally ridiculous.

Just now, DMC said:

While I agree Lavazza is being ridiculous I don't get the swipe at Gadot.  From what I understand of that, the backlash she received was equally ridiculous.

Just threw her in to heighten the absurdity, frankly.

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lavazza is Israeli coffee? Geez, and here I thought it was Italian. Is Lavazza a Hebrew word?

On further investigation, it would appear their Israeliness is as fake as Elneny's racism. They are Italian. WTF is happening?

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yes, I do.

And, yes, the world is complicated. But one thing I'm sure we can all agree on is that genocide is bad.

Except when it's happening in Gaza, because then we're not allowed to talk about it.

We can talk about it in China, but not in Gaza. Why is that?

Genocide is bad, and we need to work towards stopping what is occurring instead of creating a whole new one without solutions to the former. 

Gaza is absolutely fair game. Israel's policies towards it are awful. But Hamas, basically acting in the name of Gaza, are pro-genocide of Jews. That's why myself and others have pointed out that you need to consider that. I believe in a two state solution, or maybe a three state one in which Jerusalem exists kind of like the Vatican (which does create a lot of other issues). I just think it's not possible to have Gaza and the WB exist as one state without a shared border. That's why I think in some magical deal you give Gaza to Israel, the WB becomes an independent Palestinian state, people from said areas are relocated to some degree at their choice, and then we build from there. Is that a perfect solution? No, but I want have to try and believe it means peace at the end of the day, and that's all I want. I had to turn down the chance to live in Israel for a summer as a teenager because it was not safe. That was in 2005, and the situation is way worse today. I want harmony in the Holy Land, not war.

Just now, Spockydog said:

On further investigation, it would appear their Jewishness is as fake as Elneny's racism. They are Italian. WTF is happening?

Please don't say that. You may not be aware of how offensive that can be.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Please don't say that. You may not be aware of how offensive that can be.

Okay I totally take that back. I only meant that in all the reporting I've read on this, Lavazza were presented as an Israeli company.

I have amended the post. :D

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Okay I totally take that back. I only meant that in all the reporting I've read on this, Lavazza were presented as an Israeli company.

I have amended the post. :D

Not entirely helpful, and while I personally am not bothered, this does touch on an issue that does offend a lot of Jews. I'm going to give you an example, but before I do, without Googling, does the name Meyers Leonard mean anything to you?

Archived