Israel: When the Drums of War Have Reached a Fever Pitch

IFR

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

How so? It is essentially a center-left majority that needed the support of three right or right-leaning Jewish parties and one right Arab party.

Yesh Atid (17 seats), Blue and White (8 seats), Labor (7 seats), and Meretz (6 seats) are all comfortably center-left or left. That is 61% of the coalition.

Yamina (7), Yisrael Beiteinu (7), and New Hope (6) are all right or center-right Jewish parties (about 32% of the coalition).

Ra'am (4) is a straight up right wing Islamist party.

Regardless of how long this coalition will last, considering any one of them can blow the coalition up at any time over some bullshit or another, the fact that secular leftist Yair Lapid was able to get religious nationalist Jewish, religious nationalist Muslim Arab, leftist social democratic parties, and secular right-wing parties to sign onto a coalition together that will first be led by a kippa-wearing former settler leader and then be led by a borderline anti-religious Lapid (well, it probably won't last that long, but Lapid is playing the long game) is amazing. Just getting them all to sign the same document is an unbelievable picture.

I agree that its a very impressive accomplishment, even just at this stage. And it's definitely mostly left and center MKs involved, and I'm sure they're thrilled to be in government again for the first time in ages. But what I'm saying is, if you look at the actual terms of the deals that have been announced so far, it's far more favorable to the right-wing members. For instance the Security Cabinet is going to have a 7-4 right-wing majority. And there's basically no major portfolios where the right-wing won't be heavily involved.

I completely understand why this is how it had to be, I'm just saying that if this was a government from an earlier decade, before the Israeli left atrophied so badly, it would easily be considered one of the most conservative ever. Whereas now, it's a unity and change government.

Archived