NBA Playoffs - Play In? PLAY-IN It Cool

Relic

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I think that the Clippers made the decision that they didn't care at all about being the 3 or the 4 seed, and that health/rest was the best advantage they could give themselves.  

I know that, but aren't they also waiting for the play ins to finish before they start the playoffs? It seems like ample rest to me, personally, maybe take the last game off and you still have a week of rest. :dunno:

53 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I know that, but aren't they also waiting for the play ins to finish before they start the playoffs? It seems like ample rest to me, personally, maybe take the last game off and you still have a week of rest. :dunno:

Oh, no doubt there are diminishing returns on rest.  I'm just saying that seems to be the approach the Clippers are taking. 

I will say that I think people are sleeping on LAC a bit.  Yes, last year they fell apart in the playoffs, but the first year after putting together a star team like that is often bumpy (see Miami 2011).  I could easily imagine them emerging stronger than ever this year.  They have the talent to be champions, and their roster is well built for the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Oh, no doubt there are diminishing returns on rest.  I'm just saying that seems to be the approach the Clippers are taking. 

I will say that I think people are sleeping on LAC a bit.  Yes, last year they fell apart in the playoffs, but the first year after putting together a star team like that is often bumpy (see Miami 2011).  I could easily imagine them emerging stronger than ever this year.  They have the talent to be champions, and their roster is well built for the playoffs. 

I don't think people are sleeping on LAC, I think they rightfully see Kawhi who is awesome and Playoff P who is decidedly not come playoff time.

18 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I don't think people are sleeping on LAC, I think they rightfully see Kawhi who is awesome and Playoff P who is decidedly not come playoff time.

But even that is kinda bullshit.  Paul George has played fine in the playoffs on teams that weren't championship level talented.  The only exception was last year, when the Clippers were every bit as talented as the Lakers or Heat.  So the question is whether that was a one-off, and I think it was.  Paul George is talented enough to be the second best player on a championship team. 

I think that the thing about the Clippers and underperforming is that they are a collection of individuals rather than a team. They have enough basketball smarts to make teamplay, but when they get stuck, it feels like they are either going it alone, one on five or completely disengaged and just going through the motions. Sometimes it works out, that's why you have Kawhi and PG on the roster, but it seems that that is their final and only resort and they go all in on it even if it isn't working. 

Maybe it changes or has changed with Rondo joining the team, but after watching a couple of game this season, I'm not as high on them as I was before the season. Then again, with all the injuries, who knows? 

8 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I think that the thing about the Clippers and underperforming is that they are a collection of individuals rather than a team. They have enough basketball smarts to make teamplay, but when they get stuck, it feels like they are either going it alone, one on five or completely disengaged and just going through the motions. Sometimes it works out, that's why you have Kawhi and PG on the roster, but it seems that that is their final and only resort and they go all in on it even if it isn't working. 

Maybe it changes or has changed with Rondo joining the team, but after watching a couple of game this season, I'm not as high on them as I was before the season. Then again, with all the injuries, who knows? 

Pretty much. Their defensive unit plays pretty well in sync, but on the offensive side it feels like OKC of old except neither Kawhi nor PG are the offensive player KD is/was. Having Rondo helps, but they still feel like last year's team. 

17 minutes ago, Relic said:

yikes. 

I wonder if the deciding factor in taking Edwards over Ball is the latter can’t dunk despite being 6’6 while the 6’4 guy could throw down on an 11 foot hoop. Ball is clearly the more polished player, but Edwards’ upside has already surpassed him.

13 minutes ago, Relic said:

that's an insane statement that i don't even want to debate lol

Look at Edwards’ numbers after the All-Star break. He was averaging 23/5/4 once the team ran through him. Ball is a better passer, but I’m not sure he’s better at anything else and Edwards has way more room to grow.

Fun, but ugly game.

The Lakers are getting away with so much. You could have easily called at least five technical fouls on them by now. They keep chucking the ball away after they score so they can reset on defense. That's so illegal. The refs don't care and hit Green with a tech for pointing out what they're doing.

But the refs don't have a side. :rolleyes:

That's nothing. Lakers got away with an elbow to the face last playoffs. I'm pretty sure its a flagrant one if inadvertent and two if intentional. I don't know how its possible to downgrade it. At least with throwing the ball away you can stretch it as giving them the benefit of the doubt.

12 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

That's nothing. Lakers got away with an elbow to the face last playoffs. I'm pretty sure its a flagrant one if inadvertent and two if intentional. I don't know how its possible to downgrade it. At least with throwing the ball away you can stretch it as giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Who cares about the last playoffs? The Warriors only chance is Curry creating chaos. The Lakers can eliminate a lot of that if they force everything they do into a half court offense. Knocking the ball away after they score does just that. First time should be a warning with a tech following each time afterwards. They're doing it on every interior score and the refs don't care at all. As a former PG I'd absolutely be calling the ref out over that in game because I should not have to wait five seconds to get the ball to the inbound passer. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Who cares about the last playoffs? The Warriors only chance is Curry creating chaos. The Lakers can eliminate a lot of that if they force everything they do into a half court offense. Knocking the ball away after they score does just that. First time should be a warning with a tech following each time afterwards. They're doing it on every interior score and the refs don't care at all. As a former PG I'd absolutely be calling the ref out over that in game because I should not have to wait five seconds to get the ball to the inbound passer. 

:dunno:

Just saying one is plausible, probability aside while the other has nothing to stand on. And obviously I care because it left enough of an impression that I still remember it.

10 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

:dunno:

Just saying one is plausible, probability aside while the other has nothing to stand on. And obviously I care because it left enough of an impression that I still remember it.

We all notice different things.

The Lakers are starting down by 13, but I bet they win by double digits. They're going to keep getting all the calls and I don't trust this Warriors team of role players to keep up their shooting. 

And before I can finish that two fouls called on them in a minute. Shocking, so shocking, that the scales may be on the Lakers' side.

Someday Caruso is going to play on a team that doesn't have LeBron and I can not wait to see him in foul trouble after three minutes of playing time.  Love his energy, hate piling on the refs in the NBA, but the Laker's no-call is so fucking real.

Also, I just realized we have a repeat.  Trisky, you still around this thread?  I need your prediction for Denver/Portland.

Archived