Which character was the first one to draw you into the story?

Canon Claude

2 minutes ago, Crazy Old Guy said:

Yeah, honestly, given what I have, it doesn't seem that far-fetched to note that Stannis himself is probably neurodiverse in some way.

Heh? In all ways possible. Extreme trauma and neglect. 

3 minutes ago, Crazy Old Guy said:

But yes, I still to this day love Maester Cressen's chapter; sets the mood for the whole story arc perfectly

Probably just the two of us 

On 5/14/2021 at 7:29 AM, Springwatch said:

Dany as Beggar Princess. Poor child, and what a strange, unhappy situation.

Starks on a first read were just way too cosy and sweet for me - I was basically feeling it was self-indulgent twaddle. 'The things we do for love' came as an enormous surprise.

ETA

Dany felt real to me; but the Starks felt like something out of a storybook - I can't put it better than that. As it happened, I reached peak disengagement when Bran finished his spiderman routine by hanging upside down outside Cersei's window. I could have thrown the books away at that point, but then....

My expectations got played; I see that now. Well, it worked.

I so agree with this.  Hearing the story told through the POV of the Stark kids kind of made me think of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  Which fits in with your storybook feeling.

For me, it was Tyrion that really got me hooked on the book.  I’m not sure I read another story with a character quite like him.

The prologue of the first book got me into it. It has a strange class system spat, with medieval and horror elements, and no one is a hero. Cut to the Starks were the good Dad kills Gared “ justly” so his story or warnings are not heard. There is a lot of tension created and I didn’t know what was going to happen from the get go. There are sibling problems, a bad handsome prince, there is the shove out the window, an irresponsible king, oh and Lady is killed. 

It's Sansa Stark for me. I love it how songs are such a huge theme in her narrative and the way Sansa is forced to differentiate the truth from the lies is, in my opinion, the most compelling storyline. It's quite obvious that the truth she will learn near the end of ASOIAF will be one of the biggest messages that GRRM is trying to convey with his series. Her character is by far the most beautiful and compelling to me and in my opinion the rest of the cast can't compare to Sansa Stark. 

• 5 weeks later...

For me, it was Ser Duncan the Tall because The Hedge Knight was my introduction into the Westeros universe.  With AGoT, the hooks for me were the direwolves and the conversations between Jon and Tyrion.

To be honest, it took me three attempts to get into this series. The first time, I was bored and confused after the first few pages. On my second attempt, I got part way into the third chapter, before I was bored out of my mind again. For some reason I gave the books a third try and fell in love with them. I think Tyrion was the character that finally drew me in. He both made me laugh and the history he explored was really cool. He was the first character in the series, that actually made me look forward to his chapters, if that makes sense.

Ironically enough, I found his chapters to be the most boring part of ADWD.

To be honest, I miss the early books, which would frequently have the POV characters appear in each others chapters. That hardly seems to happen anymore, because the series has sort of gone out of control.

Bran...but he almost doesn't count because his POV is basically a continuation of the prologue which is rather intense.

So I would say Dany. Dany's chapters provided both an interesting plotline and series of characters but it almost single-handedly built the world of Planetos and defined its rules.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived