Football: Alisson Wonderland

polishgenius

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And Liverpool will need to get a 100% record from their final games.

Assuming Leicester beat Tottenham. A reminder that over the last five games, Spurs have earned more points than Palace and West Brom combined.

I understand the pessimism to some extent - Liverpool have struggled against teams in the bottom half - but presuming the team in fourth will swat aside the team in sixth while the team in fifth will have an uphill struggle to beat the teams in 19th and 13th isn't necessarily a safe bet.

Reports that Eze has suffered a serious achilles injury in training and will miss a good portion of next season. That's a huge blow to Palace. Hodgson picked the perfect moment to retire. I no longer think Dyche might take the job even for more money because the club is in quite a mess allowing that many player contracts to be expiring at the same time. Any new manager coming into Palace is going to have a massive job on their hands and I expect it's going to be an uphill battle to avoid relegation.

Good result in the end. That really helps the goal difference.

ETA: I think Phillips has shown more than enough this year that there’s no concerns about him being fourth choice centre back. That probably means there’s no need to buy two centre backs so maybe Kabak misses out?

2 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Great goal by Ox.Still needs to be sold ASAP.

Final day game is making me nervous.

Would you prefer it if none of our players could strike the ball properly?

Wijnaldum is leaving, Milner is at the end of his career and Keita is constantly broken, but you think we should get rid of more midfielders?

Just now, Soylent Brown said:

Would you prefer it if none of our players could strike the ball properly?

Wijnaldum is leaving, Milner is at the end of his career and Keita is constantly broken, but you think we should get rid of more midfielders?

Ox is also injury prone, he's in the same boat as Keita etc.

13 hours ago, mormont said:

Assuming Leicester beat Tottenham. A reminder that over the last five games, Spurs have earned more points than Palace and West Brom combined.

You were saying something? :D

Anyway, like I said, I think Liverpool would need the full haul from their final games. They're on course of doing just that. Their chances of finishing top four 4 is equal to their chances of beating Palace. Since this now just one more game to win for them, I'd tax their chances at ~70%. 

For our gooners. There's still chance for a happy St. Totteringham's day on Sunday.

Also the preliminary Germany squad for the Euros has been announced today.

As expected Müller and Hummels are back. Boateng isn't. Somewhat Surprising Volland got called up again after more than four years, and even more surprising Christian Günter (Freiburg) also got called up.

Notable misses: Brandt (not unexpected), Draxler (also not that surprising), Tah (somewhat surprising), Wirtz (really surprising), and Younes (who'd have deserved to get called up). Reus (fatigue) and Ter Stegen (inury).

A well, here's the squad.

Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno (Arsenal), Manuel Neuer (FC Bayern), Kevin Trapp (Eintracht Frankfurt)

Defenders: Matthias Ginter (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Robin Gosens (Atalanta Bergamo), Christian Günter (SC Freiburg), Marcel Halstenberg (RB Leipzig), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Lukas Klostermann (RB Leipzig), Robin Koch (Leeds United), Antonio Rüdiger (FC Chelsea), Niklas Süle (FC Bayern)

Midfielders and Attackers: Emre Can (Borussia Dortmund), Serge Gnabry (FC Bayern), Leon Goretzka (FC Bayern), Ilkay Gündogan (Manchester City), Kai Havertz (FC Chelsea), Jonas Hofmann (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Joshua Kimmich (FC Bayern), Toni Kroos (Real Madrid), Thomas Müller (FC Bayern), Jamal Musiala (FC Bayern), Florian Neuhaus (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Leroy Sané (FC Bayern), Kevin Volland (AS Monaco), Timo Werner (FC Chelsea).

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You were saying something? :D

Apparently I was getting West Brom and Burnley mixed up! :blink:

But yeah, Tottenham lost. But so did Leicester, after all. And Liverpool won. The wider point about pessimism is valid. Liverpool have 23 points from their last nine matches, and are officially the form team in the league. And Palace at home or Tottenham at home - which would you rather have as your last game?

Nothing's decided yet, of course, but Liverpool have the advantage now.

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

Apparently I was getting West Brom and Burnley mixed up! :blink:

But yeah, Tottenham lost. But so did Leicester, after all. And Liverpool won. The wider point about pessimism is valid. Liverpool have 23 points from their last nine matches, and are officially the form team in the league. And Palace at home or Tottenham at home - which would you rather have as your last game?

Nothing's decided yet, of course, but Liverpool have the advantage now.

I'd reverse the argument.

Would you want to rely on Spurs winning a game for you on the final day of the season? I thought Spurs are somewhat synonymous to bottling in football.

And a reminder: Liverpool actually had real trouble beating the relegated team on 19th, and needed some heroics from their goalkeeper to score the game winner at the very last minute. But yeah, fourth place is now Liverpool's to lose.

Kane interview with Neville.

This comes across as a "come and get me" plea from Kane. I didn't think Kane would hand in a transfer request or try to force a move but it looks like he really wants out of Spurs asap and might resort to more drastic measures if Levy tries to kill a move by making unreasonable demands.

Archived