Swan Song part 7/16. The Bastard of Harrenhal

Megorova

Harrenhal has played an important role in the history of the 7K. Though I became interested in this castle not because of what happened there during Aegon’s Conquest or many years later at the tournament during the False Spring. Instead, what caught my attention was this:

“I remember Ser Arlan of Pennytree,” the man in the high seat said quietly. “He never won a tourney that I know, but he never shamed himself either. At King’s Landing sixteen years ago, he overthrew Lord Stokeworth and the Bastard of Harrenhal in the melee” - THK.

I am particularly interested in everything connected to Dunk & Egg, Blackfyres and their pre-history, including Aegon the Unworthy and his mistresses. And thus I realized that the Bastard of Harrenhal, mentioned in The Hedge Knight novel by Baelor Breakspear, was one of Aegon’s bastards.

The Pander

During the Targaryen era, Harrenhal was given to Lucas Lothston, who then became the founder of House Lothston of Harrenhal. Though before that, Lucas for years had served to Targaryens as their master-at-arms.

With Ser Gareth Long upon the Wall, the Red Keep had need of a new master-at-arms. Lord Manderly appointed a fine young swordsman named Ser Lucas Lothston. The grandson of a hedge knight, Ser Lucas was a patient teacher who soon became a favorite with Prince Viserys, and even won a certain grudging respect from King Aegon. - F&B, 136 AC.

To become a fine swordsman and in addition to that, also a good teacher, what is necessary is a lot of training and practical experience. Thus, at the time of his appointment to Targaryen court, young Lucas was in his early twenties (him being 20-25 in 136 AC means that he was born between 111 and 116 AC).

...mistresses of Aegon IV, the Unworthy

LADY FALENA STOKEWORTH

Ten years older than the king

Lady Falena “made him a man” in 149, when Aegon was fourteen. When a Kingsguard found them abed together in 151, his father wed Falena to his master-at-arms, Lucas Lothston, and persuaded the king to name Lothston Lord of Harrenhal in order to remove Falena from court. However, over the next two years, Aegon paid frequent visits to Harrenhal.

Children by Falena Stokeworth: None acknowledged.

LADY JEYNE LOTHSTON

Daughter of Lady Falena, the king’s first mistress, by either Lord Lucas Lothston or the king himself

Jeyne was brought to court by her mother in 178, when she was fourteen. Aegon made Lord Lothston his new Hand, and it was said (but never proved) that he enjoyed mother and daughter together in the same bed. He soon gave Jeyne a pox he’d caught from the whores he’d been seeing after Lady Bethany’s execution, and the Lothstons were then all sent from court again.

Children by Jeyne Lothston: None.

It was said about Aegon that he continued to visit Falena even after she got married. Also, if there were rumors that Jeyne was Aegon’s daughter, then it’s likely that prior to Jeyne’s birth, Aegon also was visiting Falena. But what is unlikely is that Aegon allowed Lucas to have sex with the woman that still interested him. And Lucas’ nickname among smallfolk was the Pander, that’s because people knew that he was whoring out his own wife.

Procuring or pandering is the facilitation or provision of a prostitute or other sex worker in the arrangement of a sex act with a customer. A procurer, colloquially called a pimp (if male) or a madam (if female) or a brothel keeper, is an agent for prostitutes who collects part of their earnings. - Wikipedia.

In 151 AC, when Lucas got married to Falena Stokeworth, he was 35-40 years old; at the time of Jeyne’s birth (either in 163 or 164 AC) Lucas was 47-53; at the time when Jeyne became Aegon’s mistress and Lucas was given the post of the King’s Hand (in 178 AC), he was 62-67. It wasn’t mentioned about Lucas before his wedding with Falena, whether he was a widower. Thus, it’s likely that Falena was his first wife and all of Lucas’ supposed children were born in a span of his marriage with her. Though it seems likely that at least between 151 and 164 AC Lucas Lothston had no sexual relationship with his wife, and afterwards he was in his late forties-early fifties, so it’s unlikely that he was still capable of conceiving a child. Thus, in my opinion, both Jeyne and Manfred Lothstons, who officially were Lucas Lothston’s children, actually were Aegon’s bastards. Lucas so devotedly served to his master that, because of his fidelity to Aegon, he had no children of his own. The Pander, indeed.

The properties of Dragon’s blood

Pureblooded dragonseeds are immune to human diseases (The Doctrine of Exceptionalism). Little princess Daenerys, daughter of Jaehaerys I and Alysanne, was poisoned by the Faceless Men (Barefoot Girl and Gyles Morrigen). King Daeron II and his grandsons, Princes Valarr and Matarys, hadn’t died from the Great Spring Sickness. Many Targaryens who supposedly died from diseases or accidents actually were killed by the Faceless Men. It seems that in nearly every set of the Kingsguards, or maybe even in all of them, as far back as since the Aegon’s Conquest, at least one out of the seven was a Faceless Man. Maybe when I complete writing the “Swan Song”, I will post my theory about the Faceless Men conspiracy - which of the Kingsguards were actually FM, whom they killed and how.

When Aegon IV was dying, the maesters said that they had never seen anything like what was happening to him. It’s unlikely that those maesters had never seen what kinds of symptoms are caused by pox (syphilis). Also, if Aegon wasn’t immune to sexually transmitted diseases, then he would have become infected with the pox in that period of his life, when he was the most sexually active - in his youth, and would have died then from this disease. Though he had lived to age 49, thus, it seems that he was immune to pox. So he wasn’t sick himself and couldn’t have transferred this disease to anyone else. Not Falena, not Serenei, and especially not Jeyne, who herself also was a dragonseed. If Aegon hadn’t had pox, then what else could have killed him? If you’ll look closely at the timing and the circumstances of his death, and who else has died at approximately the same time as him, then the answer is obvious - his death was caused by blood magic.

Supposedly, Aegon had sex with both Jeyne and Falena, so how come only Jeyne had pox afterwards and Falena didn’t? I think that it was a lie, and the real reason Aegon had sent Lothstons away from his court was to hide the truth that Jeyne got pregnant, and that Aegon is the father of that child. People of the 7K barely tolerated that Targaryens married and had children with their sisters, thus they wouldn’t have tolerated if they found out that Aegon had impregnated his own daughter. Sometime later Jeyne died and her family claimed that she died from the pox, though that also was a lie. Actually, she died from childbirth.

The Bastard of Harrenhal

Besides Jeyne, Lucas also had a son named Manfred.

“Lord Lucas bore that bat, the Pander, and Manfryd o’ the Black Hood, his son.” - AFFC, Brienne I.

“If Daemon had ridden over Gwayne Corbray . . . if Fireball had not been slain on the eve of battle . . . if Hightower and Tarbeck and Oakheart and Butterwell had lent us their full strength instead of trying to keep one foot in each camp . . . if Manfred Lothston had proved true instead of treacherous . . . if storms had not delayed Lord Bracken’s sailing with the Myrish crossbowmen . . . if Quickfinger had not been caught with the stolen dragon’s eggs . . . so many ifs, ser . . . had any one come out differently, it could all have turned t’other way. Then we would called be the loyalists, and the red dragons would be remembered as men who fought to keep the usurper Daeron the Falseborn upon his stolen throne, and failed.” - TSS.

In my opinion, it is likely that (1) the Bastard of Harrenhal, who alongside with Lord Stokeworth was defeated by Ser Arlan in the melee in 193 AC, (2) Manfred Lothston, and (3) the son of Lucas Lothston - Manfryd o’ the Black Hood, is the same person, and he is Jeyne Lothston’s son. Jeyne died while giving birth to King Aegon’s bastard. And afterwards Jeyne’s fake father, Lucas, did the same thing as Ned Stark - he brought the child into his household and told everyone that the baby is his and that the mother is some unimportant woman who died while giving birth to their child.

Jeyne’s mother was a member of House Stokeworth. So it seems likely that the Lord Stokeworth, who was defeated by Ser Arlan alongside the Bastard of Harrenhal, was either Falena’s brother, cousin or a nephew. Ser Arlan, who was not a great knight, defeated those two because one of them was an old man and the other was still just a boy no older than fifteen years old.

It seems that the Bastard’s nickname was Manfryd o’ the Black Hood, because he was always wearing a black hood to conceal his Targaryen-brand silver-gold hair. Also, it’s likely that some of Aegon’s bastards after his death were legitimized under their mothers’ last names, for example, Ambrose Butterwell. Or could be that shortly prior to the First Blackfyre Rebellion, Manfred at first sided with Daemon Blackfyre, but then made a deal with King Daeron, and, in exchange of being legitimized by him as a Lothston, has betrayed Blackfyres. He expected that if he will be a Lothston then Harrenhal will become his, but that’s not what happened.

Lucas Lothston had no children of his own blood. His fake daughter, Jeyne, died before him, and by the time of Lucas’ death, Manfred was still unlegitimized. Thus, after Lucas, the reign over Harrenhal passed to Lucas’ next of kin, the children or grandchildren of his siblings or cousins - the true Lothstons, like Lady Danelle and her father. When Manfred didn’t get Harrenhal, even after everything he did to have it, he went away from Westeros, though that’s a story for another thread. Years later, he returned to Harrenhal with his own family to set in motion the events that ultimately resulted in the downfall of House Lothston.

The Rise of House Whent

Mad Danelle Lothston herself rode forth in strength from her haunted towers at Harrenhal, clad in black armor that fit her like an iron glove, her long red hair streaming. - TMK.

“My old ma used to say that giant bats flew out from Harrenhal on moonless nights, to carry bad children to Mad Danelle for her cookpots.” - AFFC, Brienne II.

He found himself remembering tales he had first heard as a child at Casterly Rock, of mad Lady Lothston who bathed in tubs of blood and presided over feasts of human flesh within these very walls. - AFFC, Jaime III.

Their line was ended in madness and chaos when Lady Danelle Lothston turned to the black arts during the reign of King Maekar I.

HOUSE WHENT

Knights in the service of the Lothstons, they were given Harrenhal as a reward for their service in bringing the Lothstons down. - TWOIAF, The Riverlands.

Based on that information, I think that several years after the First Blackfyre Rebellion, Manfred got married and returned to Harrenhal to enter the service of the Lothstons as their household knight. In my opinion, he had chosen nine black bats as his coat of arms because he was a bat-skinchanger. The Wildling Varamyr was a Sixskins because he could control six beings, and Manfred possibly was a Nineskins. Though, unlike Varamyr, who used diversified vessels, all of Manfred’s skins were bats.

Could be that Manfred either used his bats to drive Lady Danelle to madness, or to set her up as a witch and a murderer. His giant bats attacked people and made it look as though they were controlled by Danelle. Several people were kidnapped and killed by Manfred and his family. Then they were drained of blood, and their bodies were artfully left on display to make it look like they were killed by bats or some sort of witchcraft. Additionally, the Whents let loose rumors that the people that went missing and whose bodies weren’t found were eaten by Danelle, and those that were found bloodless were killed by bats, who took their blood for Danelle to bathe in it. People that lived in medieval times were highly superstitious folk, thus it wasn’t hard to make them believe in all sorts of crazy bullshit.

That’s how Manfred (or his children already after his death) finally got Harrenhal. He believed that the castle should have always belonged to him because his father, King Aegon, left it in the ownership of Lothstons, not for Lucas and his Lothston-relatives but for Aegon’s own children - Jeyne and Manfred.

Concerning the name change, there are several options of how Manfred’s descendants could have became Whents:

1. He gave up his Lothston last name and instead created a new House, same as Orys Baratheon and Daemon I Blackfyre.

2. He got married with a girl from House Whent and after the wedding took his wife’s name, same as Joffrey Lydden became Joffrey Lannister after getting married with a Lannister-girl.

3. His daughter married a member of House Whent, so the Whents that were knights in the service of the Lothstons were Manfred’s son-in-law and his grandchildren.

Who was the first Lord Whent of Harrenhal?

“You know old Ben Blackthumb? He came here as a boy. Smithed for Lady Whent and her father before her and his father before him, and even for Lord Lothston who held Harrenhal before the Whents.” - ACOK, Arya IX.

Ser Illifer crooked a bony finger at her shield. Though its paint was cracked and peeling, the device it bore showed plain: a black bat on a field divided bendwise, silver and gold. “You bear a liar’s shield, to which you have no right. My grandfather’s grandfather helped kill the last o’ Lothston. None since has dared to show that bat, black as the deeds of them that bore it.” - AFFC, Brienne I.

We can use Ben’s data and compare it with Illifer’s data to figure out from which generation was Shella Whent’s grandfather, the first Lord Whent of Harrenhal, and based on his age to define whether he could have been the Bastard of Harrenhal, son of Jeyne Lothston and Aegon the Unworthy, or whether that Lord Whent was the Bastard’s son instead.

Lady Shella Whent was Walter Whent’s wife and his cousin. Their daughter, who in my opinion was the original Queen of Love and Beauty at Harrenhal’s tournament in 281 AC, is Wynafrei Whent, wife of Danwell Frey. Wynafrei is from the same generation as Lyanna and Ned Stark, Catelyn Tully, and Rhaegar Targaryen. Thus, Shella is aged approximately between Rickard Stark, Aerys and Jaehaerys Targaryen, Minisa Whent and Hoster Tully (born in 225-250 AC). Shella’s father is from approximately the same generation as Aegon V and his siblings (born in 190-209 AC). Then, her grandfather is from the same generation as King Maekar and his siblings (170-178 AC), and also Daemon I Blackfyre (170), Daenerys Targaryen (172), and Jeyne Lothston’s secret bastard (born in 178-180 AC). Whents became Lords of Harrenhal during the reign of King Maekar I (221-233 AC), at that time the Bastard, if he was still alive, was 41-55 years old. Based on Ben’s data, it seems that Shella’s grandfather, who was the first Lord Whent of Harrenhal, could have been either Manfred himself, or possibly his son (or son-in-law). Thus, the conclusion is that Ben’s data alone is not sufficient enough to define from which generation exactly was the first Lord Whent, whether he was late King Aegon’s son or his grandson.

Now let’s use Illifer’s data. The events in AFFC took place in early 300 AC. Ser Illifer is approximately 60 years old, close in age to King Aerys II, who was born in 244 AC. His grandfather’s grandfather could have been from the same generation as Daeron II (born in 153 AC). If that is so, then at the time of House Lothston’s fall, he should have been 68-80 years old. So either Illifer’s great-great-grandfather was an old schemer like Walder Frey, or there’s another, more likely option. If, in Illifer’s family it was customary to marry young, then his father married and had children while he was aged, for example, 16 - same as his own father and others before him. From Illifer to his great-great-grandfather there are 4 generations, with 16 years per generation that’s 64 years, and with Illifer’s 60, that’s 124 years in total.

300 AC – 124 = 176 AC.

In this case, Illifer’s great-great-grandfather is from the same generation as Maekar Targaryen, his siblings, and also some of King Aegon’s children, such as Daemon I Blackfyre and the Bastard of Harrenhal. Thus, at the time of House Lothston’s downfall, Ser Illifer’s ancestor - the one who helped to kill the last Lothston - was approximately 45-57 years old, which is close in age to the Bastard, who at that time was 41-55 years old.

Thus, it seems likely that the one who orchestrated the fall of House Lothston was the Bastard himself, and Ser Illifer’s ancestor was one of his co-conspirators. Afterwards, the Bastard became first Lord Whent of Harrenhal, and after his death the title and the castle passed to his children. It appears that Shella Whent is late King Aegon’s great-granddaughter, and thus the other Whents are also secret dragonseeds.

Tully-girls kissed by fire

If my theory is correct, and also if the information that Gendry told Arya about Ben Blackthumb is reliable, then it looks like Catelyn Tully and her siblings, whose mother was Minisa Whent, may be Aegon the Unworthy’s great-great-grandchildren and 1/8 Targaryens (Manfred was nearly a pureblood, so his children were 1/2 dragonseeds, and so on). Something like this:

Aegon IV

+ Falena Stokeworth

Jeyne Lothston

+ Aegon

The Bastard of Harrenhal

+ wife

Father of Shella Whent and his siblings

+ spouses

Minisa, Shella, Walter, Oswell, Sarya, etc.

+ spouses

Catelyn, Lysa, Edmure, etc.

+ spouses

Thus thru Catelyn Tully, her children are 3-times-great-grandchildren of Aegon IV Targaryen and 1/16 dragonseeds. And this information about their ancestry is relevant because Stark-children are skinchangers thanks to their Swann-ancestor - Aegon’s grandmother Johanna Swann. She was a skinchanger and her descendants inherited her genes. Also, Rhaegar Targaryen was aware that Tully-girls, Cat and Lysa, are dragonseeds. That’s why there was a short period when Rhaegar was contemplating taking one of them as his second bride (more on this topic you can read later in “SS 16/16. Exotic fruits on family trees”). And Rhaegar wasn’t the only person who knew the secret about the real origin of House Whent. There are others who also coveted their dragon-blood. Though that is also a topic of another thread (SS part 15/16), so stay tuned, and for now let’s discuss “The Bastard of Harrenhal”.

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

Supposedly, Aegon had sex with both Jeyne and Falena, so how come only Jeyne had pox afterwards and Falena didn’t?

Isn't there like at least a decade and a half between Falena being Aegon's mistress and Jeyne becoming his mistress. Surely that's plenty of time for Aegon to have sex with someone else, contract the pox and then give it to Jeyne?

3 hours ago, Lady_Qohor said:

Isn't there like at least a decade and a half between Falena being Aegon's mistress and Jeyne becoming his mistress.

This (a quote from TWOW) ->

6 hours ago, Megorova said:

it was said (but never proved) that he enjoyed mother and daughter together in the same bed.

So the possibility of only one of them contacting from him a sexually transmitted disease is kind of ... not likely? Because in Medieval times people haven't had condoms or any other means of protection against STD.

9 hours ago, Megorova said:

Thus, it seems likely that the one who orchestrated the fall of House Lothston was the Bastard himself, and Ser Illifer’s ancestor was one of his co-conspirators.

Very interesting. 

Ser Illifer the Penniless is one of the names I have tried to decipher with anagrams. I'm pretty sure that "serpentine" would be part of the solution, which is a word that is strongly associated with dragons (specifically dragon necks, where the riders sit) in ASOIAF as well as the serpentine steps in the Red Keep. 

Ser Illifer and his traveling companion, Ser Creighton Longbough, feed Brienne with trout they have caught and cooked over a fire. This is a Tully symbol and I wasn't sure what it meant that she eats it. If the two hedge knights represent supporters of the Whent / dragonseed line, I am guessing that Brienne eating trout is a way of blessing her oath to Catelyn Tully - perhaps sealing it with magic similar to Bran eating weirwood paste and Dany eating the stallion's heart. 

Brienne is often present at inns and bridges. For example, Renly's tourney at Bitterbridge and Brienne's combat with Jaime at a bridge just before they are caught by Vargo Hoat's men. And I've written elsewhere in this forum about the theory that King's Guard members have a special ability to transcend barriers - scaling walls and navigating passages to other worlds. In the Dunk & Egg stories, I think this may be why Ser Bennis decides to accompany Dunk to Lady Webber's land across the Chequy Water - he is unable to cross the stream unless he is with Dunk. It may also be the reason that Dunk is a good traveling companion for Egg - they can go anywhere as long as Dunk (future king's guard member) leads the way.

As a member of the Rainbow Guard, Brienne also has this ability to transcend barriers. Inns are entrances to other worlds. Ser Illifer and Ser Creighton know the innkeeper but are unable to stay at the inn at Old Stone Bridge because they owe seven stags for previous visits to the inn. Brienne pays for their stay at the inn and also pays for them to eat goat - another Harrenhal allusion because of the Vargo Hoat / goat parallel. 

In other words, I think Brienne is putting to rest these characters who embody old battles and old loyalties; helping them to go to their final rest. In doing so, she may be taking up their fights as her own. 

I haven't deciphered Ser Creighton Longbough although there are interesting possibilities involving "reborn egg" or "long night" or something to do with colors, which would be relevant to Brienne and Renly because of their Rainbow Guard affiliations. Catelyn is also associated with rainbows as the most devout follower of the Seven Gods in ASOIAF.

One clue that might help pin down Ser Creighton's symbolism is that he claims to have killed Ser Herbert Bolling at the Battle of the Blackwater. The reader has no idea what Ser Creighton is talking about with all his boasting about his prowess at the Blackwater; none of it makes sense. But Ser Herber Bolling could be anagramed to make "Green Brother Bills." I'm not sure what the bills might be, but I suspect that the Green Brother might refer to Gregor Clegane. It really would be something to boast of if a hedge knight brought down Gregor Clegane. Ser Creighton's shield is a green field with a brown chief, which are the colors of clothes habitually worn by Sandor Clegane - olive green cloak, brown roughspun tunic, leather jerkin. 

But there could be other green brothers in the books - there are many brown and green characters. 

Interesting, too, that Ser Shadrich, the Mad Mouse, stays at the same inn with Brienne, Ser Illifer and Ser Creighton. His nickname could allude to the bat of Mad Danelle Lothston, except the mouse doesn't have the ability to fly. (His sigil shows the mouse on land and water.) He does have red hair, which may make him one of the "kissed by fire" dragonseeds.

Sorry if I'm jumping ahead of your evolving narrative. The possible Ser Illifer connection to House Whent just helped a couple of puzzle pieces fall into place for me. Very satisfying! Nice work by you.

@Lady_Qohor The story why Jeyne left Aegon's court doesn't make any sense.

In the real world people can be immune to certain disease but at the same time to be its carriers and to infect other people with it. This kind of thing is not possible with dragonseed brand of immunity. Targaryens are blood of the dragon, dragonseeds are fire made flesh. They are immune to all diseases because viruses and bacterias can't live in their blood, and other bodily fluids and tissues. Aegon couldn't have infected Jeyne with pox, because he couldn't have had this disease and also couldn't have been a carrier. It's impossible.

Next - considering that Aegon had sex with both Jeyne and Falena, but according to him afterwards only Jeyne got infected - what he said is obviously a lie.

Also it doesn't make sense for him to send both of those women out of his court. If only one of them got infected, then why to also send away the other one?

And what would have been the point of sending Jeyne away? So what if she had pox? It's not like she could have infected Aegon with it, because he was the one who infected her. If both of them already had it, what's the point of not continue to have sex with each other? The worst of what could have happend, had already happened. So why to stop now?

In TWOIAF it was said that "He soon gave Jeyne a pox he’d caught from the whores he’d been seeing after Lady Bethany’s execution, and the Lothstons were then all sent from court again."

By "soon" GRRM probably means amount of time that is less than a year.

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/stds-hiv-safer-sex/syphilis/what-are-the-symptoms-of-syphilis

"Syphilis is sneaky, because you or your partner may not have any symptoms that you see or feel. Most of the time, people don’t even realize they have syphilis — that’s part of the reason it’s a common infection (and why it’s so important to get tested).

The signs of syphilis can be so mild you don’t even notice them. Sometimes people confuse syphilis symptoms with other things, like pimples or rashes. Syphilis symptoms come and go over time, but that doesn’t mean the infection goes away."

Jeyne was young and healthy, it could have taken a lot of time for her to have obvious symptoms of the pox, so how was she "diagnosed" by Aegon so fast? Also, if Aegon had symptoms of the pox, then why Falena and Jeyne agreed to have sex with him? Why did Serenei of Lys agreed to become his mistress and to risk her own health and life if he was supposedly ill with STD?

All those inconsistencies are easily explained if the pox was just an excuse to send Jeyne away from court. In my opinion this is what actually happened (something like this) - Jeyne became Aegon's mistress, he had sex with both her and her mother, and he had no pox, none of them had pox. Then Jeyne got pregnant and for certain amount of time, while it was still easy to hide her growing belly, she remained at Aegon's court. When she was not feeling well, he had sex with her mother instead. When her belly grew and soon it was time for her to give birth, Aegon sent her somewhere for a few months until the baby will be born. She gave birth to a boy and then died. Probably because she was still too young to become a mother, and her body didn't coped well with all the changes caused by pregnancy and broke under the strain of labor.

When Jeyne died, Aegon told to his courtiers that he sent her back to Harrenhal because he infected her with pox. Jeyne's parents originally also left court to be with her when she will be giving birth to her child. Though after she died, Aegon told them that they should take Jeyne's child and to go back to Harrenhal, and not to return to his court. He ordered them to tell everyone that this child is Lucas' bastard, and to raise him as such at Harrenhal. And concerning Jeyne they should tell to the people from their household that she was infected with pox, and thus they sent her somewhere to be treated from it. That's why in TWOIAF there was no further information about her fate, and why there is written that she had no chidlren, ever. Because her family either kept pretending that she's somewhere going thru treatment from pox, or later told to everyone that Jeyne died from pox. Though this later part wasn't included into historical accounts. Later Jeyne just sort of fell off the grid, and her fate after the departure from court is officially unknown.

If Aegon really had pox and infected Jeyne with it, and that was the real reason why she was sent away, then this information would have been kept in secret and would have never became a part of the historical book. The only reason why this information - about Aegon supposedly having pox and supposedly infecting his young mistress with it - became common knowledge is because Aegon himself had revealed this information to people, to cover with this lie what had actually happened to Jeyne. If people, who already suspected that Jeyne was Aegon's daughter, found out that he impregnated her, it would have caused another Faith Militant uprising, like the one that was caused when King Aenys I wed his children Rhaena and Aegon to one another.

Archived