It's a brand new dating thread

mcbigski

Met up with the engineer Friday night. We seem to have hit it off, but he's now leaving for an attempt to drive a car back here from Goma and won't be back until the end of the month. I can't complain too much as this was part of what makes someone the kind of person I hit it off with (the background of Iranian quasi-dissidence and environmental engineering didn't hamper things either). On the other hand I have an invite to go visit his project/home site, which is about an hour and a half out of town, sometime early in the week, but feeling like that may be too much too soon? Trying to channel my inner Chataya and just go for it, but it's possible I may not have an inner Chataya. 

Okaaaaaaaaay.

Soooooo ... I went over myself and totally out of character made a tinder profile.

Now I am probably going to try to get it out of my mind and avoid it for another ... IDK, certain amount of time before I gather enough courage to do anything with it.

Still don't completely trust that thing. Or, like, at all. I don't know what I am doing.

I only know that the first person whose profile I am being shown is ... from the neighbouring country. Because this is how tiny this country is. :rolleyes: I thought I was doing this to avoid another long distance thingy after, well, the relationship with the ex from that same neighbouring country ended.

Help, I have no clue what I am doing here.

17 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Go with your feelings, but I don’t think that something like a half hour visit to a project site is at all “too much,” since you’ve been invited. Just do it!!!

I think there's an implication of an overnight stay - the site is in a resort-y, by local standards, area, and they have some sort of beachy cabin that they live in. The invite was "come hang out, even if I'm out at work", and I'm guessing there's a guest room, but it's still a lot of time with someone I've just met. On the other hand, it's wait until he (probably) makes it back from the Goma drive otherwise.... 

Meeting basically a stranger from online in an isolated restricted area chock full of excavating equipment....

Ok I' m sure theres a better way to frame that.  Go for it!

(Cross posted - had the impression it was some sort archeological site ir something!)

15 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Meeting basically a stranger from online in an isolated restricted area chock full of excavating equipment....

Ok I' m sure theres a better way to frame that.  Go for it!

(Cross posted - had the impression it was some sort archeological site ir something!)

lol a little...its an under-construction solar field.

19 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Omg, I just went on a date with Walter White....totally unaware of it until he told me at the end and gave me details I can Google...

Apparently, he did 12 years Federal time for manufacturing a large quantity of MDMA (feds claimed street value of at least $11 million) over a number of years. One of his co-conspirators “committed suicide” before he was about to cooperate. “Mr White” was, at the time, out on bond and had a Polish passport which he had not surrendered. He then went to Poland and Interpol caught up with him eventually.

....and since he didn’t talk, his associates kept him safe in prison. He got out two years ago. 

WHYYYYYY me? 

Your text makes a lot more sense now.

I find this gent to be an interesting character. But then again, I never did time. Loser got caught. ;)

22 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

For the record, my text said “dating is tough out there”

I don't find it so tough when I turn my frown upside down. :P And while I get why you don't want to date "Walter White", I wouldn't mind having a beer with him, but then again at 18 on freshman spring break in Mexico I was telling the local drug dealers that they were being inefficient. They seemed to take a liking to me, cavalier as I was.

4 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

You “unlike” it. Or do nothing.

I don't seem to be able to find an option to do so. I cannot even find out where the profile went now.

The Internet tells me that going back and changing your response is only possible for people who pay for some extra fancy version. Which I am absolutely not willing to do.

Looks like I am doing nothing, then. :dunno: 

11 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

You “unlike” it. Or do nothing.

So you're Baby Yoda's mom?!?!?!?

28 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Welp, I think I might have "liked" some profile I didn't want to just because I was clumsy with my phone and fingers. What to do now?

I clearly have no idea how this works. :leaving: 

You forget about it and keep things moving. :P

48 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Welp, I think I might have "liked" some profile I didn't want to just because I was clumsy with my phone and fingers. What to do now?

I clearly have no idea how this works. :leaving: 

Not a damn thing! It means nothing, don't worry about it, and confuse them if you feel like it.

27 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I don't seem to be able to find an option to do so. I cannot even find out where the profile went now.

The Internet tells me that going back and changing your response is only possible for people who pay for some extra fancy version. Which I am absolutely not willing to do.

Looks like I am doing nothing, then. :dunno: 

Yeah an accidental like wont hurt anything - if you end up matching with this person you can always 'unmatch'.  

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

TOTALLY DO THIS!!!!! 
Just take some work, or a book, or something where you can be self-sufficient for a few hours (as I know you would).

Maybe have a friend text you at a certain time so if you are having a shitty time, you can say you have to drive back for some unspecified emergency.

I think I'll head in mid-dayish Tuesday, though I have a somewhat unmovable 10 AM back in the city Wednesday. I think they start at the crack of dawn though, so even if things go the way they might, I won't be the person sneaking out of bed at 6 AM for once...

Been racking my brain trying to come up with a joke about whether my personal Chataya is more of an "innie" or an "outie".  It's kind of hard and I just can't seem to finish either 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

You forget about it and keep things moving. :P

1 hour ago, Datepalm said:

Not a damn thing! It means nothing, don't worry about it, and confuse them if you feel like it.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Yeah an accidental like wont hurt anything - if you end up matching with this person you can always 'unmatch'.  

I am relieved that the consensus is that this isn't some irreparable shame on me and my whole family unto the seventh generation. I tend to take things more seriously than they need to be taken. I suppose I could survive this situation after all.

It now says that my profile has been liked plenty of times. I suspect this to be a fib to get me into paying for the premium or whatever the fancier version is called. I mean, I had two very similar pictures and nothing in my description and no hobbies listed up to now. Now I added a different picture (deleted one of the first two ones) and added some hobbies. Still have no clue about what to write in this little description. These descriptions really don't seem to help any at all. :dunno:

The thing is really odd and feels artifical. Like window shopping, but with people. I don't know how to feel about it.

So, um, wise people ... (apologies for double post and all) ... is it normal to find basically no profile appealing? I don't know how many I have seen until now, maybe ... 10, 15? I think one was kind of nice enough that I would consider swiping right on, but well, I am too shy to do that and ended up closing the app and when I returned to it, that profile was gone and now I have only seen some that I don't find interesting. It this thing going to ban me for thinking I am a bot if I just don't like almost any profile? What is the average percentage of profiles you swipe right/left?

Archived