It's a brand new dating thread

mcbigski

5 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

:o:o:o ! SECOND human contact made! What is this weirdness? I mean, people ... I literally have no description on my profile and only a few interests. Who the hell swipes right on that even?

This second human contact person managed to make a typo in "how are you" (the easiest phrase to type in my language). Has not been answered yet. :p

However, tentative answers were sent to the first human contact person. That one types in very non-standard language - lacking punctuation and abysmal spelling. As a language teacher, it hurts my eyes, but I am sure I am the weird one in this. :p 

They probably think you're cute!

10 hours ago, Datepalm said:

So  "cabin in the resort-y area" turns out to be *entire* not that small hotel on the beach. Guessing with covid renting the place out to a remote construction project is as good a bet as any...

So Presidential Suite and bubbly white?

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

:o:o:o ! SECOND human contact made! What is this weirdness? I mean, people ... I literally have no description on my profile and only a few interests. Who the hell swipes right on that even?

This second human contact person managed to make a typo in "how are you" (the easiest phrase to type in my language). Has not been answered yet. :p

However, tentative answers were sent to the first human contact person. That one types in very non-standard language - lacking punctuation and abysmal spelling. As a language teacher, it hurts my eyes, but I am sure I am the weird one in this. :p 

Proper grammar is, not sexy entirely, but I considered a PM to you.  

Have a bit of patience and a bit more tolerance.  I think the best way to sort online/app dating is to have a fairly wide initial screen, and a much stricter follow up.  Love people for their best but call out their worst.

On 6/8/2021 at 10:10 PM, larrytheimp said:

They probably think you're cute!

Nah, that can't be it. :P 

18 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Proper grammar is, not sexy entirely, but I considered a PM to you.

I am not sure I understand you completely correctly here ... Did you just flatteringly compliment my being a language teacher who is strict about grammar? :blushing: In this case, thank you very much!

Have a bit of patience and a bit more tolerance.  I think the best way to sort online/app dating is to have a fairly wide initial screen, and a much stricter follow up.  Love people for their best but call out their worst.

I will keep this advice in mind. Thank you.

18 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Proper grammar is fucking hawt on its own. Makes me melt.

I could agree with this opinion. I would have thought it was much more uncommon to be bothered by improper grammar and spelling.

HOWEVER, Dr. Business Ethics had ALL the proper spelling, grammar, pictures, and the Chataya-melting devices of his fingers and tongue....

And that man was a ghosting mofo.

So, young lady, place not thy confidence in grammar, PhD status, tenure track, tongue game...but what happens.

I am sorry to hear about the ghosting guy.

And thank you for your advice too.

Anyway, one (first human contact person) still writes with terrible grammar and disregards the need for any punctuation. The other one ... tries, but it's not where it should be.

I think I graded way too many tests in the last few days. :leaving: 

I, too, enjoy proper grammar. I've been known to notice and complain about typos on menus, signs, and just about anywhere. However, in texting, full proper grammar often comes off as excessively formal! While I refuse to use "u" or things like that, I do tend to omit capitalization and punctuation when texting. So it might not be as bad as all that!

7 hours ago, Starkess said:

I've been known to notice and complain about typos on menus, signs, and just about anywhere.

Subtitles in movies. :ack:

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I’ve been told it’s intimidating to use proper grammar and punctuation :rolleyes:

Now, this is just silly.

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I must ask - what in the heck is “litty”?

I guess it is a sweet-sounding abbreviation for "little"?

On 6/9/2021 at 3:44 AM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Is there anything else? Except the powdered Chilean white, which I avoid.

GO DATEPALM!!! DEETS, GIRL!!!

It was construction worker bbq dinner and 5:30 AM sunrise-over-the-lake fresh coffee. Place is apparently a private home - either ex-hotel, future hotel, or just weirdly set up like a hotel (separate suites with private entrances, identical hotelish decor, pool, outdoors bar...::dunno::) Its really pretty quite remote, and I can them see going a bit crazy after a year there. Casually pleasant time was had by all. Only curious bit was an insistence on separate sleeping arrangements, post-sex. I mean, sure, there are enough rooms, but still. Apparently sleeping issues (including meds). I don't mind (actually, lets be honest - sex followed by watching tv in a huge hotel room bed alone was sort of my ideal day off) but still felt a bit impersonal, though greeting me at dawn with the coffee was a significant redemption. Coffee >> cuddles for me, apparently.

17 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

It was construction worker bbq dinner and 5:30 AM sunrise-over-the-lake fresh coffee. Place is apparently a private home - either ex-hotel, future hotel, or just weirdly set up like a hotel (separate suites with private entrances, identical hotelish decor, pool, outdoors bar...::dunno::) Its really pretty quite remote, and I can them see going a bit crazy after a year there. Casually pleasant time was had by all. Only curious bit was an insistence on separate sleeping arrangements, post-sex. I mean, sure, there are enough rooms, but still. Apparently sleeping issues (including meds). I don't mind (actually, lets be honest - sex followed by watching tv in a huge hotel room bed alone was sort of my ideal day off) but still felt a bit impersonal, though greeting me at dawn with the coffee was a significant redemption. Coffee >> cuddles for me, apparently.

Large private home.

Wants to be alone at night.

You’re dating Batman

9 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I must ask - what in the heck is “litty”?

:lol: - I would have thought you would have asked your son!

It's a little hard to describe, but urban dictionary have put it well, I think

Reaching the pinnacle of 'lit-ness.' The ultimate expression of extreme satisfaction, coolness or dopeness.

I used to say it ironically, and now I just say it :uhoh:

Back to dating, The first one was fairly low key, a drink & a walk along the Thames ( very cliche), she's a professor in architecture so it was certainly...educational? I don't really think I felt like this is someone I fancy in that way. I'm undecided on a second date but leaning towards no.

Second one is power station girl that I'm texting - she seems very nice, a little bit older but that's not really a big deal. The real issue is that she lives in another city, but we will see.

Human contact no. 1 (terrible spelling and punctuation guy) has proved very untalkative and the conversation seems to have died off after his last comment (only one word - I cannot really answer to that much). :dunno:

Human contact no. 2 (slightly better, but still bad spelling and grammar and punctuation) has been answered with small-talk.

The new development is human contact no. 3 - this is the first one to have opened with a question about something on my profile, something meaningful and more than "hi, how are you". Has been answered accordingly. ;) This one has much better grammar and spelling and punctuation too, only he mixed up "afekt" and "efekt" (affect / effect) in his opening message. :P 

18 minutes ago, kiko said:

To which affect did it effect you? (Or the other way around? I'm confused)

It effected in some amusement and some eye-rolling. Now that I think of it, he didn't need to use that word at all. There is a much simpler word that would fit better, as far as the meaning of the whole sentence is concerned.

My inner editor is way too strong for dealing with online dating.

19 hours ago, Raja said:

:lol: - I would have thought you would have asked your son!

It's a little hard to describe, but urban dictionary have put it well, I think

I used to say it ironically, and now I just say it :uhoh:

Back to dating, The first one was fairly low key, a drink & a walk along the Thames ( very cliche), she's a professor in architecture so it was certainly...educational? I don't really think I felt like this is someone I fancy in that way. I'm undecided on a second date but leaning towards no.

Second one is power station girl that I'm texting - she seems very nice, a little bit older but that's not really a big deal. The real issue is that she lives in another city, but we will see.

And she's not sick of talking about architecture on dates?!

On 6/10/2021 at 4:52 AM, Datepalm said:

Haha, my boyfriend did that the first night we had sex! We had actually slept together previously, sans sex (neither of us had condoms to hand), but then that night after procuring said condoms, after we had sex and cuddled a bit he was like "can you leave?". I still give him shit about that lol.

In his defense, we were staying in dorm rooms at Cambridge that had twin-size beds and we're both over 6 feet and he doesn't sleep well and basically did not sleep at all the night we did stay together. But it was amusing to get the post-coitus boot!

Well, I think I'm out of the business for the time being. Vet girl has excused herself that she can't keep in touch due to some family issues, at least not on a regular basis. So much for my offer to meet up for real that I had brought up nearly two weeks ago.

To be honest I had some particularly stressful weeks now that the school year is ending and at the moment feel too exhausted all the time to deal with human interactions anyway, so I'm not too concerned about not receiving any responses anymore and have no motivation to get back to swiping.

13 minutes ago, Toth said:

To be honest I had some particularly stressful weeks now that the school year is ending and at the moment feel too exhausted all the time to deal with human interactions anyway, so I'm not too concerned about not receiving any responses anymore and have no motivation to get back to swiping.

Seems like stressful time at the end of the school year is universal.

Looks like you kept at it longer than I am keeping my interest - I have only had this profile for about a week, and I don't feel like swiping at any time at all. :dunno: I did get some matches though.

I also keep seeing profiles from no less than three neighbouring countries (my country borders on four countries), so this proves once again how tiny this place is and that there is probably not much activity on the app. Oh, and it showed me one profile from Athens for some reason, Athens being half a continent away.

The funniest thing I saw was a description somebody wrote: "If you don't have all the holy sacraments, swipe left." Well, thanks for telling me that ... but I don't really appreciate being told what to do by you. :P

20 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Looks like you kept at it longer than I am keeping my interest - I have only had this profile for about a week, and I don't feel like swiping at any time at all. :dunno: I did get some matches though.

Well, you have seen how badly this experience had been for my self-esteem in the first few months without matches. Swiping is a bad thing altogether, especially when you are someone who never gets liked back and always have to wait for someone to somehow find your profile and have low enough expectations. So I suppose it is much more healthy to loose interest after realizing that there are at least a few people out there bored enough to keep up with me, though to be honest my interactions with the Egyptian girl did end up vexing me because I can't help but feel like I was dropped like a hot potato the exact moment I admitted to being introverted when trying to relate to her struggles with the people here. Going through our conversation that's the moment where her messages became significantly colder and dismissive, her answers briefer and her questions somewhat accusatory.

I... I suppose I can't really deal with how judgemental interactions on these platforms are designed to be. A tightrope walk where one wrong word can get you dropped, if your photos weren't enough already to be dismissed as garbage.

Archived