It's a brand new dating thread

mcbigski

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

The funniest thing I saw was a description somebody wrote: "If you don't have all the holy sacraments, swipe left." Well, thanks for telling me that ... but I don't really appreciate being told what to do by you. :P

So he's looking for married priests that have been deathly ill?  Pretty narrow niche.

21 hours ago, Starkess said:

In his defense, we were staying in dorm rooms at Cambridge that had twin-size beds and we're both over 6 feet and he doesn't sleep well and basically did not sleep at all the night we did stay together. 

Since you placed the size description cutoff only at over 6 feet, is the buried lede here that Starkess is dating a short guy? (Relatively speaking..)

48 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

So he's looking for married priests that have been deathly ill?  Pretty narrow niche.

:lol: I don't think it is necessary to take this all so literally. I am pretty sure he meant having received baptism, first communion, and confirmation.

Another profile that weirded me out and puzzled me was a guy who has a photo of him and a woman kissing wearing only swimming shorts/bikini. I mean, why would you post that on your dating profile is completely beyond me.

Human beings are weird. :dunno:

40 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Another profile that weirded me out and puzzled me was a guy who has a photo of him and a woman kissing wearing only swimming shorts/bikini. I mean, why would you post that on your dating profile is completely beyond me.

One of the profiles sitting on top of my stack for the last few weeks has her instagram embedded and all her last photos are sitting at a beach cuddling with some shirtless razor ad model. I... think that means she already had success?

On 6/11/2021 at 10:22 AM, Starkess said:

Haha, my boyfriend did that the first night we had sex! We had actually slept together previously, sans sex (neither of us had condoms to hand), but then that night after procuring said condoms, after we had sex and cuddled a bit he was like "can you leave?". I still give him shit about that lol.

In his defense, we were staying in dorm rooms at Cambridge that had twin-size beds and we're both over 6 feet and he doesn't sleep well and basically did not sleep at all the night we did stay together. But it was amusing to get the post-coitus boot!

I can relate to him, other than the >6' tall part. In general, sleeping (not sex) with someone in a bed any smaller than a queen is awful, and even with a queen size I still find it uncomfortable. 

Honestly I've probably had a lot of potential relationships ended early because I simply didn't want to sleep over at a girl/woman's place because they had a tiny ass bed. Having sex and then leaving only makes it worse, lol. 

A person who tries to start the conversation by just inviting one to go somewhere together doesn't really need to be answered, right? I think it shows a lack of judgement about personal safety.

Bleh. I have had this profile for about a week and I am already bored and annoyed with it. I was cynical about the whole app thing before, I think I am even more now. <_<

I keep getting shown profiles from other countries.

I don't like almost any profile I see. After seeing some of them, they just end up looking all the same.

Not liking them makes me feel guilty because I am being judgemental, and I know it is bad to judge people solely according to their looks on a bad photo. I don't like people to judge me solely by their first visual impression of me, so why am I doing that to others?

The first few people I swiped right were instant matches, the last few aren't, which immediately hurts my self-esteem.

Two conversations don't seem to go anywhere beyond smalltalk. The guy who actually started a meaningful conversation hasn't responded to my last message. :dunno: (And the "invite you out" opening message person is not going to be answered.)

Swiping is boring and annoying at the same time, and makes me only feel lonelier than I already am.

So yeah, after the first few profiles I saw, the novelty wore off and I don't really think I am going to keep trying to work with this much longer.

Sorry for the rant, I suppose.

13 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

A person who tries to start the conversation by just inviting one to go somewhere together doesn't really need to be answered, right? I think it shows a lack of judgement about personal safety.

And I wondered what happened to the wanna shag? messages I randomly sent out to other boarders. I am heartbroken, Ty. Do you hear me. :bawl:

On 6/12/2021 at 8:25 AM, mcbigski said:

Since you placed the size description cutoff only at over 6 feet, is the buried lede here that Starkess is dating a short guy? (Relatively speaking..)

:lol: He's about 6'2", so no/yes?

On 6/13/2021 at 3:57 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And I wondered what happened to the wanna shag? messages I randomly sent out to other boarders. I am heartbroken, Ty. Do you hear me. :bawl:

I have my concerns about you:

So, so many bathroom selfies. Do people seriously not realise that a bathroom selfie is just ... IDK, not the best thing you can post on there? Or do people actually fall for them?

Am also having the first conversation that goes beyond some "hi, how are you" smalltalk. (Okay, no, it is actually the second one. The first one stopped responding after a few messages.)

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

So, so many bathroom selfies. Do people seriously not realise that a bathroom selfie is just ... IDK, not the best thing you can post on there? Or do people actually fall for them?

I'm fairly sure that's because men tend to not have any photos of themselves around whatsoever because it isn't exactly socially acceptable for a guy to say "Hey, I look great right now, would you mind taking a picture of me?". So a quick walk into the bathroom and making a photo of yourself in the mirror is the easiest way to get one. Same reason for the fish pics because that's a situation where a photo of you is being made. If the person in question didn't make the selfie without clothes I wouldn't be as judgemental myself, though I admit that I at least went outside and made selfies at a river or in front of historical buildings for my profile, mostly because the lighting is better. However during my research I still found scathing comments saying that selfies are always a red flag because it shows you don't have friends.

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Am also having the first conversation that goes beyond some "hi, how are you" smalltalk. (Okay, no, it is actually the second one. The first one stopped responding after a few messages.)

Surely doesn't sound quite as much like giving up like your previous post make it sound like.^^ Well, I wish much success with the new matches!

Well, in my case I also yesterday started swiping again in a moment of loneliness, but given that someone I swiped right on never swiped back before, it is only a tool to get shown around more. I wonder how long I have to wait this time, but I'm also thinking I need to make new photos because the winter ones don't seem quite right with 37° outside...

41 minutes ago, Toth said:

I'm fairly sure that's because men tend to not have any photos of themselves around whatsoever because it isn't exactly socially acceptable for a guy to say "Hey, I look great right now, would you mind taking a picture of me?". So a quick walk into the bathroom and making a photo of yourself in the mirror is the easiest way to get one. Same reason for the fish pics because that's a situation where a photo of you is being made. If the person in question didn't make the selfie without clothes I wouldn't be as judgemental myself, though I admit that I at least went outside and made selfies at a river or in front of historical buildings for my profile, mostly because the lighting is better. However during my research I still found scathing comments saying that selfies are always a red flag because it shows you don't have friends.

I don't have many photos of myself either, those I have are mostly from holidays or special events. I still avoid making selfies and just used slightly older pictures on my profile - it is not like I changed that much in the last year or so (I don't have any photos from the covid time, it is not like I went anywhere to want to make it memorable ...).

I don't even consider the "this person doesn't have friends" angle, I just think selfies in general are silly. :dunno: I suppose in front of historic sights is still better than in the bathroom mirror.

41 minutes ago, Toth said:

Surely doesn't sound quite as much like giving up like your previous post make it sound like.^^ Well, I wish much success with the new matches!

Thank you. And same to you!

3 hours ago, Isalie said:

This is not a hill i would be willing to die on, but when the purpose is to show what u look like (or any time really), why would a selfie be silly?

IDK, I suppose I just don't like how they look. They are all taken from the same angle and I prefer to see what people are doing with their hands instead of knowing they were just holding a phone. Maybe it takes me out of the immersion of a picture as a moment in life knowing that somebody was holding a phone to take it, you can't really see one doing something in it. Not really a hill I am willing to die on either, I just generally don't like them. :dunno: 

Bathroom selfies are common for men and women, be it just to show someone what you look like or to show some skin. Men typically have fewer group photos because frankly, I can’t think of many times I’ve been out with a group of male friends and someone said let’s stop to take a picture of us. Happens all the time when out with a mix of men and women.

I love photography, but if I’m going on a long hike in the woods, I might take a hundred photos of nature yet I’d never think about taking a selfie out there.

Waaaah! Oh god, worst case scenario that I thought of before: Found a former student during my swiping. That's the issue when some of my students are about my age or older, running into them on a platform like that. Crap. I swiped left and hope she will never see my profile...

... though I must admit, my second thought went towards wondering why it didn't work out with the boyfriend she got together with last year in class...

54 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Bathroom selfies are common for men and women, be it just to show someone what you look like or to show some skin. Men typically have fewer group photos because frankly, I can’t think of many times I’ve been out with a group of male friends and someone said let’s stop to take a picture of us. Happens all the time when out with a mix of men and women.

I love photography, but if I’m going on a long hike in the woods, I might take a hundred photos of nature yet I’d never think about taking a selfie out there.

Dude,I don't know why I have to repeat this. Taking a hike at 5 am through the woods to take pictures, is not the same as taking pictures of your morning wood! Just no! Don't give me that but it works on tinder... crap. No! My inbox is not effing tinder! :tantrum:

I, uh, think, a hint has been made about meeting somebody with whom I exchanged a few friendly messages in person. The hint came from his side obviously, I am waaaay too shy and distrustful and all. :blushing: What have I gotten myself into now?

12 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I, uh, think, a hint has been made about meeting somebody with whom I exchanged a few friendly messages in person. The hint came from his side obviously, I am waaaay too shy and distrustful and all. :blushing: What have I gotten myself into now?

If you have learned enough about him that you feel reasonably confident he's not a danger to you or a complete jerk, then I'd say go for it.  There's only so much you can learn from exchanging messages.  If when you meet in person there's no chemistry or he's lying and is actually 70 years old or something, the sooner you find that out, the better. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

If you have learned enough about him that you feel reasonably confident he's not a danger to you or a complete jerk, then I'd say go for it.  There's only so much you can learn from exchanging messages.  If when you meet in person there's no chemistry or he's lying and is actually 70 years old or something, the sooner you find that out, the better. 

I mean, the messages don't sound jerky or dangerous, but I am still not completely sure about meeting in person, even with safety precautions. I think I will exchange a few more messages first. But I suppose the danger of somebody lying about literally anything on the Internet is still there.

Archived