It's a brand new dating thread

mcbigski

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I haven't seen any fish pics. Are they common in other parts of the world?

They're the norm where I'm from, but Minnesota is called the land of 10,000 lakes for a reason.

3 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ofc, not. Have you ever heard of One Night in Monaco?

Sometimes you are kinda slow on uptake.

No, but you strike me as the type of person who would take someone to Bangkok and called it Monaco. 

(Reads thread a little further)

Damn you Chats the :ninja:.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

They are common enough in the US that many profiles say "I swipe left for fish pics"

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

They're the norm where I'm from, but Minnesota is called the land of 10,000 lakes for a reason.

Wow. USA must be a weird place. :P

Here there are just pictures with dogs, cats, cars, motorbikes ... many pictures from the beach too.

4 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Wow. USA must be a weird place. :P

In college I worked in a psych lab where we used eye clamps, similar to the ones you've likely seen from A Clockwork Orange. I want you to imagine you have those on right now while you watch this.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

In college I worked in a psych lab where we used eye clamps, similar to the ones you've likely seen from A Clockwork Orange. I want you to imagine you have those on right now while you watch this.

I haven't watched A Clockwork Orange, but anyway, this is an odd video too ...

45 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No, but you strike me as the type of person who would take someone to Bangkok and called it Monaco. 

I am too cheap for that. Do you know what flight to Monaco costs compared to flight to Bangkok for me? You already figured me out as cheap, now be consistent.

54 minutes ago, kiko said:

Lichess is the better tinder anyway.

Really? I figured there'd be too many White Knights fighting over the Black Queens... Maybe I should give Lichess a go afterall. But I'd probably just end up with a bunch of extra pawns. :crying:

20 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I am too cheap for that. Do you know what flight to Monaco costs compared to flight to Bangkok for me? You already figured me out as cheap, now be consistent.

Are we talking first class flights? I try to avoid sitting with the plebs. 

22 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Nobody actually wants to get good at small talk, do they?  That like enjoying unwrapping the saran wrap off the shit sandwich you don't want to eat.

Good conversations are not about asking questions of each other back and forth, interview style.  The best conversations typically are telling stories to each other about your experiences, and only asking questions to find the stories the other person has yet to tell.

Sure, but you don't want to just dive right into that. Small talk is like the appetizer, you get a feel for what the chef is like and if you're going to be interested in a whole meal or not. You can tell if you're vibing and want to talk more or if you want to politely end the conversation and move on. Small talk gets a lot a hate but gods save me from people who start a conversation with their deepest childhood trauma or something.

57 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Sure, but you don't want to just dive right into that. Small talk is like the appetizer, you get a feel for what the chef is like and if you're going to be interested in a whole meal or not. You can tell if you're vibing and want to talk more or if you want to politely end the conversation and move on. Small talk gets a lot a hate but gods save me from people who start a conversation with their deepest childhood trauma or something.

Pretty sure there is a large gulf between those two extremes of talking about the weather or talking about things they should tell a therapist.

Sigh. Mystery-Beach-Hotel guy went off to drive here from Goma last week. Meanwhile parts of Rwanda went into lockdown and here closed the border to non-residents*. Last I heard from him was a text from a few days ago that he thinks he maybe can get out of wherever (DRC? Kigali?) but maybe not and nothing since. Now wondering if he's just going to end up back in whatever frozen hellscape he's from** for a bit and get a break from the Mystery-Beach-Hotel. Ah well.

*As an unclear pro, this means Econ-Guy can't get in either. I, meanwhile, can't really leave if I want to come back at the moment.

**I believe its some sort of ice-mine called "Toronto".

19 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Really? I figured there'd be too many White Knights fighting over the Black Queens... Maybe I should give Lichess a go afterall. But I'd probably just end up with a bunch of extra pawns. :crying:

You would never guess how many girls I went out with who I met at chess tournaments.

15 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

DHL cargo? Before you complain, it's still better than United.

Look, I understand you Germans are into some pretty sick stuff, but no, I will not do that. 

I would like to think you'd at least tease some light bondage stuff before suggesting trapping me in the belly of a plane for your jollies.

1 hour ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I need to start hanging out at chess tournaments?

I was hoping someone would guess a realistic number and then I could triumphantly double that to two.
You people are no fun! ;(

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I need to start hanging out at chess tournaments?

As someone who competed in chess in high school as a heterosexual woman, you definitely don’t. The women were perfectly dateable but they and I were straight, and the men were mostly the type that grew up and now harass women on online video games.

Archived