It's a brand new dating thread

mcbigski

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

So, um, wise people ... (apologies for double post and all) ... is it normal to find basically no profile appealing? I don't know how many I have seen until now, maybe ... 10, 15? I think one was kind of nice enough that I would consider swiping right on, but well, I am too shy to do that and ended up closing the app and when I returned to it, that profile was gone and now I have only seen some that I don't find interesting. It this thing going to ban me for thinking I am a bot if I just don't like almost any profile? What is the average percentage of profiles you swipe right/left?

When I was dating I would swipe (whichever direction is to match) on like 1 or 2 percent.

Need to start bringing more men home to show him whos boss :D

id say i swipe yes on about 10%, every once in a while i pass someone because of a profile text (or because they show off their expensive stuff on their pictures) but honestly, the swiping part is almost only based on looks for me.

anyway, ive been talking with someone for a while now (talking to multiple people sounds too advanced for me). In thread-speak, i guess this one would be the Doctor. We will probably meet once our schedules match. I really only thought of it as something i Should when i installed the app, but so far ive enjoyed talking to her very much.

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

A. The kid knows who is paying his student loans;

Okay Atia

B. Come on, now, be respectful of the young lad. He’s the one who is going to look after me in my crotchety old age, or at least leave me plenty of cash to do so that I can live in comfort.

B.1. The child has inherited a gene endemic to men in my family, where he is ridiculously thrifty. 

I'll respect the young lad after I hard foul him while hooping 5v5 and he gets up without saying a word. :P

On 6/5/2021 at 8:47 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Omg, I just went on a date with Walter White....totally unaware of it until he told me at the end and gave me details I can Google...

Apparently, he did 12 years Federal time for manufacturing a large quantity of MDMA (feds claimed street value of at least $11 million) over a number of years. One of his co-conspirators “committed suicide” before he was about to cooperate. “Mr White” was, at the time, out on bond and had a Polish passport which he had not surrendered. He then went to Poland and Interpol caught up with him eventually.

....and since he didn’t talk, his associates kept him safe in prison. He got out two years ago. 

WHYYYYYY me? 

Was that the episode in which Sarah Jessica Parker dated the guy from AB and Chris Noth ended up as a bloated body in the Hudson? (yes, this is me recycling the Chats and the City joke, it's enviromental friendly, so deal with it)

14 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

My kid just told me I should become a cat lady. :bawl:

You really shouldn't replicate things you read here. I mean calling your kid in the middle of the night to tell him in great detail about your sex life, that barely worked as a throw away joke with Ty. (yes, I am still recycling).

21 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Despite Chats' aversion to men with diamond strong hands, I have to agree with her @Buckwheat. You really are overthinking this.

I mean, yeah, that was already established plenty of times in my life before. :laugh: I massively overthink literally everything.

19 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

@Buckwheat you definitely will NOT be considered a bot for discriminatory swiping- if anything a real bot is going to try to match with as many people as possible.  There may just not be a whole lot of desirable people in your area active on there 

That is probably a logical way of thinking, yes.

No, there don't seem to be, not like this wasn't expected. I saw a few profiles from the neighbouring country already.

Thanks for your answers, @Chataya de Fleury and @Fury Resurrected, too!

So I gave my first deliberate like too. It was the same profile that I saw yesterday and didn't swipe on it yesterday, but I did today.* I think I am getting braver at this. What now?

*Probably proves once again that there are very few active people on that thing in this wider area - it showed me the same profile as yesterday already, which I assume means it doesn't have a lot of profiles to choose from to show me.

Update: I MADE HUMAN CONTACT ... uhhhh, I think?

I mean, this person (the only one that I swiped right on) seems to have sent me basically a "hi, how is it going" (and nothing else) message.

:blink:

Will keep overthinking on what to do for another few days, I suppose. :P 

I need to vent.

I need a change in my life, big time. It's been such a long time since I met anyone in real life I might be interested in (rather than developing a schoolboy crush on someone I already knew). I know I'm capable of it, in theory, but it's been years.

Online dating has mostly dried up. I've run out of people in my area on Hinge. There's a trickle of new people joining, but it's hardly a wide field.

Honestly, I'm lonely, and for whatever reason the way I live right now is not leading to me meeting people. I know I said in a previous post that meeting people has a huge luck component, and I still believe this. But I'm also not sure I'm even putting myself in situations where luck could take effect.

Covid is a joy killer, that’s for sure. Putting yourself in situations (bars are not the best) really worked for me.Think of what you like and then where your demographic of choice is likely to be. Absolutely make your luck. Make it a top priority. I did an exercise in which we folded a piece of paper into sixteen and put outrageous things we could do or secretly want to do. Then see what could be practical offshoots. It is better if the situation repeats, so that you have time to survey, get familiarity for an introvert like myself. I would delay the swipe reflex,if you can, and have some basic friendly interest first! Happy daydreaming:), then do it. If the conversation is hard, think of topics. In fact Toastmasters wouldn’t be a bad idea for most, when you feel vaccine secure. If you don’t like one group there are others.

7 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It’s a few weeks until Young Boring Danzig needs to move out and it seems he has only realized today that that is a real thing. I also have jury duty next week. This isn’t going to be a very fun life period

From what you have written about him, I'm pretty sure you are going to pack for him and find him somewhere else to live if you want him gone. 

46 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

From what you have written about him, I'm pretty sure you are going to pack for him and find him somewhere else to live if you want him gone. 

Luckily, he has family in the area he can stay with. I won’t be doing any packing and I expect he will get it done. He is also not on the lease so I can have him removed if necessary.

So  "cabin in the resort-y area" turns out to be *entire* not that small hotel on the beach. Guessing with covid renting the place out to a remote construction project is as good a bet as any...

On 6/5/2021 at 2:47 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Omg, I just went on a date with Walter White....totally unaware of it until he told me at the end and gave me details I can Google...

Apparently, he did 12 years Federal time for manufacturing a large quantity of MDMA (feds claimed street value of at least $11 million) over a number of years. One of his co-conspirators “committed suicide” before he was about to cooperate. “Mr White” was, at the time, out on bond and had a Polish passport which he had not surrendered. He then went to Poland and Interpol caught up with him eventually.

....and since he didn’t talk, his associates kept him safe in prison. He got out two years ago. 

WHYYYYYY me? 

Is it just me or does this sound like the most promising storyline in this thread?

:o:o:o ! SECOND human contact made! What is this weirdness? I mean, people ... I literally have no description on my profile and only a few interests. Who the hell swipes right on that even?

This second human contact person managed to make a typo in "how are you" (the easiest phrase to type in my language). Has not been answered yet. :p

However, tentative answers were sent to the first human contact person. That one types in very non-standard language - lacking punctuation and abysmal spelling. As a language teacher, it hurts my eyes, but I am sure I am the weird one in this. :p 

Archived