Sign in to follow this  
mcbigski

It's a brand new dating thread

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I dated a few people in their mid 40s in my late 20s and early 30s. I had a great time. But none of us thought any of the relationships where going anywhere and we all got what we wanted out of it.

Yeah, I'm in my late 20s right now and this is basically me at this point. Especially as I move too often for it to be something serious. I *should* be in the UK now for the long term so maybe that changes, who knows, but doing shift work, including nights & weekends isn't ideal!

Though now that I think about it, I don't think I have dated anyone younger than me in a very long time. Not that I consciously do that but it just sort of happens!

Edited by Raja

On 6/3/2021 at 9:35 PM, Chataya de Fleury said:

Because NO ONE is 46 and single. Because so few people are 46 to begin with.

It's true, we single guys die at 45 and resurrected by 48.  Only recently have I returned to the living.

3 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

It's true, we single guys die at 45 and resurrected by 48.  Only recently have I returned to the living.

And you’re single?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

And you’re single?

:crying:   All my life.  Stunning, I know.

Edited by SpaceChampion

just set my Google calendar a reminder to breakup with any SO I may have at age 44 so I can clean up as a single 44-50 yr old.  damn I I'm looking forward to my silver fox years now like never before

14 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

just set my Google calendar a reminder to breakup with any SO I may have at age 44 so I can clean up as a single 44-50 yr old.  damn I I'm looking forward to my silver fox years now like never before

But, by the time YOU are 46, your demographic will be, too. And (I’m going to assume you’re 35, for the sake of discussion) then there will be plenty of 46 year old millennials and I’ll be bitching about how there are no 56 - 60 year old men.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

But, by the time YOU are 46, your demographic will be, too. And (I’m going to assume you’re 35, for the sake of discussion) then there will be plenty of 46 year old millennials and I’ll be bitching about how there are no 56 - 60 year old men.

Oh, soft ye now, the sands of time!

Yeah, close enough, I'm 38.  Maybe easier to just juke the Tinder bio to be a young-mid GenXer asap and reap the benefits right now lol.

eta: although honestly, even living in a rural community all of a sudden with the vaccines I'm suffering from choice fatigue dating wise right now.  There are lots of cool interesting people around here who are available all of a sudden!  l'm assuming that will revert back to the norm soon so I guess strike while the iron is hot?

Edited by larrytheimp

I can't bring myself to install Tinder or Bumble, but I do have OKC though. Might start using that more frequently once I've moved next week.

You are in Georgia, no? Too dull? Scuba diving is cool, but you would have to go on a trip. If your vaxxed, a cruise might be good, but think about what the cruise ship demographic is. Take a class of something you like in Europe, unleash your charm:) Do something like Tony Robinson and say how much you like being warm and fuzzy.  Anyway, that’s how I would have done it at your tender age.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

You are in Georgia, no? Too dull? Scuba diving is cool, but you would have to go on a trip. If your vaxxed, a cruise might be good, but think about what the cruise ship demographic is. Take a class of something you like in Europe, unleash your charm:) Do something like Tony Robinson and say how much you like being warm and fuzzy.  Anyway, that’s how I would have done it at your tender age.

I am indeed a fully vaccinated young lady and have no problems traveling.

You have interesting ideas!!! Also, I could just be basic and go back to the gym :rofl:

I do miss Mr PB, but it’s best that I don’t get too attached. He has to figure out his medications, because I worry that if the third time with me is not the charm, his ego will cause him to say “well, maybe it’s not just me” as the cause of ED, and then my little heart shall be crushed.

Meanwhile, might have to visit NYC is my hunt for a retired Goldman partner. 

And, @larrytheimp - many of these people are single because they had Covid-incompatibilities with their partners, so, yes, strike now while the iron is hot.

Edited by Chataya de Fleury

Met up with the engineer Friday night. We seem to have hit it off, but he's now leaving for an attempt to drive a car back here from Goma and won't be back until the end of the month. I can't complain too much as this was part of what makes someone the kind of person I hit it off with (the background of Iranian quasi-dissidence and environmental engineering didn't hamper things either). On the other hand I have an invite to go visit his project/home site, which is about an hour and a half out of town, sometime early in the week, but feeling like that may be too much too soon? Trying to channel my inner Chataya and just go for it, but it's possible I may not have an inner Chataya. 

Okaaaaaaaaay.

Soooooo ... I went over myself and totally out of character made a tinder profile.

Now I am probably going to try to get it out of my mind and avoid it for another ... IDK, certain amount of time before I gather enough courage to do anything with it.

Still don't completely trust that thing. Or, like, at all. I don't know what I am doing.

I only know that the first person whose profile I am being shown is ... from the neighbouring country. Because this is how tiny this country is. :rolleyes: I thought I was doing this to avoid another long distance thingy after, well, the relationship with the ex from that same neighbouring country ended.

Help, I have no clue what I am doing here.

7 hours ago, Datepalm said:

...On the other hand I have an invite to go visit his project/home site, which is about an hour and a half out of town, sometime early in the week, but feeling like that may be too much too soon? 

Go with your feelings, but I don’t think that something like a half hour visit to a project site is at all “too much,” since you’ve been invited. Just do it!!!

17 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Go with your feelings, but I don’t think that something like a half hour visit to a project site is at all “too much,” since you’ve been invited. Just do it!!!

I think there's an implication of an overnight stay - the site is in a resort-y, by local standards, area, and they have some sort of beachy cabin that they live in. The invite was "come hang out, even if I'm out at work", and I'm guessing there's a guest room, but it's still a lot of time with someone I've just met. On the other hand, it's wait until he (probably) makes it back from the Goma drive otherwise.... 

Posted (edited)

Meeting basically a stranger from online in an isolated restricted area chock full of excavating equipment....

Ok I' m sure theres a better way to frame that.  Go for it!

(Cross posted - had the impression it was some sort archeological site ir something!)

Edited by mcbigski

15 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Meeting basically a stranger from online in an isolated restricted area chock full of excavating equipment....

Ok I' m sure theres a better way to frame that.  Go for it!

(Cross posted - had the impression it was some sort archeological site ir something!)

lol a little...its an under-construction solar field.

44 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

I think there's an implication of an overnight stay - the site is in a resort-y, by local standards, area, and they have some sort of beachy cabin that they live in. The invite was "come hang out, even if I'm out at work", and I'm guessing there's a guest room, but it's still a lot of time with someone I've just met. On the other hand, it's wait until he (probably) makes it back from the Goma drive otherwise.... 

TOTALLY DO THIS!!!!! 
Just take some work, or a book, or something where you can be self-sufficient for a few hours (as I know you would).

Maybe have a friend text you at a certain time so if you are having a shitty time, you can say you have to drive back for some unspecified emergency.

19 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Omg, I just went on a date with Walter White....totally unaware of it until he told me at the end and gave me details I can Google...

Apparently, he did 12 years Federal time for manufacturing a large quantity of MDMA (feds claimed street value of at least $11 million) over a number of years. One of his co-conspirators “committed suicide” before he was about to cooperate. “Mr White” was, at the time, out on bond and had a Polish passport which he had not surrendered. He then went to Poland and Interpol caught up with him eventually.

....and since he didn’t talk, his associates kept him safe in prison. He got out two years ago. 

WHYYYYYY me? 

Your text makes a lot more sense now.

I find this gent to be an interesting character. But then again, I never did time. Loser got caught. ;)

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Your text makes a lot more sense now.

For the record, my text said “dating is tough out there”