Aliens?

rotting sea cow

37 minutes ago, Leap said:

Well yeah, that's what I mean by saying it's fair to assume they wouldn't have the same motivations. Having said that though, I am personally willing to bet up to £5 that if we meet aliens in my lifetime, they aren't like Alien or Predator. :P Why not Zoidberg?

Grrrrraaaa?

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0079610718300798

Figure 5 is essentially a cartoon of a squid + alien virus = octopus; but I find it compelling. I am convinced.

I was about to say, there's a lot of big words in that abstract, then I realized I read it already a year or two ago.

There are many things to find wild about octopuses, but the one that stands out to me is workers at aquariums talking about how they get out of their tanks. One person I read claimed he left a sandwich near a tank, left the room, and when he came back it was gone and the floor was covered in water. Sneaky creatures.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Well yeah, that's what I mean by saying it's fair to assume they wouldn't have the same motivations. Having said that though, I am personally willing to bet up to £5 that if we meet aliens in my lifetime, they aren't like Alien or Predator. :P Why not Zoidberg?

If it's Zoidberg, no wonder we haven't made contact yet. 

3 hours ago, Spockydog said:

And look, this is merely a continuation of Tyson's ongoing, arrogant dismissal of the subject and the UFO community. He has been a complete dick about it, and it's been going on for years.

Maybe there’s just not enough there to merit any other response? It seems very scientifically minded indeed to me, he’s agnostic about everything until some proof comes along. I hate to break it to you but none of these videos rise anywhere close to the level of ‘proof’. 

We’ve been back and forth plenty on this thread about motivations, and whether aliens would care enough to visit, but at the end of the day we have a sample size of 1. It’s fun to speculate, but ultimately nobody has the faintest idea what might motivate other civilisations. Maybe the galaxy’s teeming with life and we’re deeply uninteresting in the scheme of things, or maybe we’re amazing. Who knows.

17 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Maybe there’s just not enough there to merit any other response?

There is plenty there. Has been for years. And not sure if you've noticed, but Tyson is pretty much the textbook definition of pompous arsehole. And his pomposity extends way beyond insulting ufologists.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

There is plenty there. Has been for years. And not sure if you've noticed, but Tyson is pretty much the textbook definition of pompous arsehole. And his pomposity extends way beyond insulting ufologists.

Have to agree to disagree then. Grainy dots that look like they’re travelling strangely isn’t ‘plenty’ in my book, and that bridge between that and ‘well it must be an alien civilisation then’ remains an enormous leap. And no, never really understood the animosity toward Tyson. He seems enthusiastic about astrophysics, and good at explaining stuff. *shrug*

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

There is plenty there to say “something” is going on.  What is there to say it is extraterrestrials causing that “something”?

16 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There is plenty there to say “something” is going on.  What is there to say it is extraterrestrials causing that “something”?

*backcombs hair and gets jiggy with the spray tan* I'm not saying it's aliens but it was definitely aliens. 

And by aliens I mean humans who have either travelled back in time, or across dimensions. Because those guys will be so different to us as to be completely alien.

Either that or actual ET octopus types. 

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

*backcombs hair and gets jiggy with the spray tan* I'm not saying it's aliens but it was definitely aliens. 

And by aliens I mean humans who have either travelled back in time, or across dimensions. Because those guys will be so different to us as to be completely alien.

Either that or actual ET octopus types. 

The man you reference is so clearly a spy for the Centauri Republic he’s not even trying to hide.

This thread reminded me I’ve had Tyson muted for ages, so I checked out his Twitter feed and dude’s been glomming borderline deranged alien shit for the better part of the day lol I still have zero doubt he’ll one day fully transmogrify into an analog of DikDok.

2 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

This thread reminded me I’ve had Tyson muted for ages, so I checked out his Twitter feed and dude’s been glomming borderline deranged alien shit for the better part of the day lol I still have zero doubt he’ll one day fully transmogrify into an analog of DikDok.

Yes, he really does appear to be having some kind of breakdown.

I follow Tyson somewhat (listen to Star Talk now and then) and despite the fact that I often enjoy him it’s obvious that he  always thinks he is the smartest person in the room. In the vast majority of rooms that is 100% true…. but it’s not an endearing quality and I do agree he comes off like an ass sometimes. Including this time. And agree that he seems kinda high strung lately, his appearance on Maher was also unnecessarily combative.

As to UAP, I’ve been following the media on this and I’ve also peeked into subreddits dedicated to UFO and Aliens knowing that the congressional report was due and I was struck by how many people there feel that what the government is actually doing is slow walking a major reveal and were then subsequently disappointed by the content of the report, which essentially stated ‘we do not know what a small percentage of these encounters are.’ Personally, I do believe that they do not know what they are even if it is disappointing that the report basically told us what we already knew.

I understand that there is at least 70 years of lore behind the relationship between the United States Government and UFO’s - some of which is fairly compelling - but I think if you do not have that background in UFO history and culture it really is a big leap from seeing some of these publicly available videos from the last 20 years or so and concluding that it’s definitely extraterrestrial in nature. It’s odd for sure, but it’s not conclusive enough for such a world altering claim IMO.

And it really would be a massively stunning revelation. Even if most of us have seen the numbers astronomers have been putting out there and figured that there really must be other life out there, that is still an abstract thought based on numbers that are hard to wrap ones head around and when/if the existence of intelligent life becomes an absolute fact instead of a plausible idea a lot of heads are going to explode. The fact that the government is willing to not immediately rule out the possibility that maybe it could be something from elsewhere is a big step in itself but there was no way they were gonna drop anything substantive about that unless it’s known beyond a shadow of a doubt and can be proven.

This will probably feel uncharitable to some, but I figure pompous windbags who are likely a hair width or two shy of their own MeToo reckonings are perfectly acceptable targets, much less happenstance innocents in the line of fire.

But hey, let’s do some Tysonisms!

—-

‘A human being might have a hard time looking up to alien species that are so tall they hunt ducks with a rake.’ 

/godimsosmartlolsendtweet

—-

Who’s next :p

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why is Tyson catching so many strays here? 

I happened to catch both incidents that others were talking about in this thread. Two or three weeks ago he was kind of a difficult guest on Bill Maher and then follows that up with the tweet that ET wouldn’t be interested in us which, even if you agree that UAP are not ET (as I am personally inclined to for the time being), is not something that he or anyone else could possibly know. If your last two Neil sightings were those two things back to back, as mine were, you might be left wondering what his deal is lately. Seems like he has a particular axe to grind on this topic, which is fine - I get why an astrophysicist might quickly tire of the UFO community. But it’s foolish to be making proclamations about what advanced ET would or would not be interested in on the sole basis that you are a smart person. Like I said I’m a fan and sometimes-listener of Star Talk and I wouldn’t have brought it up independently but it was a bad last couple outings for Neil, IMO.

Archived