UK Politics - You can't correct a mistake, if you don't admit it was a mistake

Which Tyler

43 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Holy fuckballs! Buckle up, we’re going North Korea and Hitler Youth!

“Strong Britain, Great Nation”. Boak!

https://www.thenational.scot/news/19325929.one-britain-one-nation-event-childs-school-sparks-scots-parents-anger/

HAIL OBON!

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

At least Scottish kids won't have to do this as they will already be on holiday.

Mmm, Betty.

My daughter went to Edinburgh to do her teaching degree and told us about the kids in her placement school doing a reenactment of a battle with the English forces. She was quite amazed at the intensity of all this, being from Canada. 

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Holy fuckballs! Buckle up, we’re going North Korea and Hitler Youth!

“Strong Britain, Great Nation”. Boak!

There's a song. I would pay good money to hear the regulars here sing this song :lol:

Are they also for abolishing the four national football teams in favour of an UK team? What would happen if one of the kids would turn up in one of the many different national jerseys for this event? Hard to argue that they don't show national spirit, right?

2 hours ago, kiko said:

Are they also for abolishing the four national football teams in favour of an UK team? What would happen if one of the kids would turn up in one of the many different national jerseys for this event? Hard to argue that they don't show national spirit, right?

Do you want to start WW3?`That is even more holy than the Queen and tea!

“We believe the Russians were undertaking a gunnery exercise in the Black Sea and provided the maritime community with prior warning of their activity," the British Ministry of Defense said. 

"No, they didn't fire at our ship, they just happened to be firing in the general vicinity while our ship was passing by."

It was somewhat provocative but the ship was using an internationally-recognised freedom of movement channel, which I don't think has been tested since Russia took over Crimea but also hadn't technically been revoked by anyone, so it was a bit of a grey area. Still, the Americans have not taken any such provocative action themselves, so escalating the situation may not have been the wisest course of action but then the Russians chose not to escalate it either (presumably on the grounds that a Type 45 destroyer is more than capable of tracking and shooting multiple jets out of the sky simultaneously, so it would have been costly).

The BBC correspondent on the destroyer noted that the Russians had been firing guns, but over the horizon nowhere near the ship, so it clearly wasn't "warning shots" as such.

The UK government: we place the highest importance on freedom of speech. It is vital that nobody refuse a platform to transphobia, homophobia or racism. Only by giving these views a platform for debate can a civilised society thrive. You can be sued for refusing to platform views that cause actual harm to people. 

Also the UK government: you can't show Pringles ads before 9pm. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57593599

36 minutes ago, Angus McGonagle said:

The UK government: we place the highest importance on freedom of speech. It is vital that nobody refuse a platform to transphobia, homophobia or racism. Only by giving these views a platform for debate can a civilised society thrive. You can be sued for refusing to platform views that cause actual harm to people. 

Also the UK government: you can't show Pringles ads before 9pm. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57593599

Don’t see how those two things are connected but yeah level of nanny state social engineering that gets thrown at advertising rules is silly.

Does anyone genuinely think stuff like this is anything more than an attempt to look like you are doing something? Obesity isn’t caused by Pringles ads after Corrie

48 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Don’t see how those two things are connected

Johnson likes to style himself as a freedom enthusiast - freedom of speech particularly, but also freedom of choice. Eat, drink, smoke what you like, was always his creed. 

Restricting advertising is a restriction on freedom of speech and an attempt to influence what people choose to eat. This restriction is being justified by the harms of obesity. The conclusion we must reach is that the government regard obesity as more harmful than bigotry. 

I’m always bemused at stories like this. Do you think advertising doesn’t work? That companies throw millions at advertising because sales don’t go up?

Do you think banning cigarette advertising had no impact on the drop in the number of smokers?

I have to agree. Allowing speech while banning certain types of advertising seems perfectly coherent to me, and I am in favour of both.

The main issue is that while Johnson is very protective of the right to right wing speech of the populist kind, his government is generally against the right to protest or to demonstrate against its policies, or indeed for any left wing cause whatsoever.

By the way, has anyone else spotted that UK mobile phone companies are starting to add roaming charges for travel to Europe again, now that Brexit makes it possible? Throughout the whole Brexit campaign they all consistently swore that they would not, and were still doing so right up until the final Brexit agreement was signed. What a surprise.

30 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

I’m always bemused at stories like this. Do you think advertising doesn’t work? That companies throw millions at advertising because sales don’t go up?

Do you think banning cigarette advertising had no impact on the drop in the number of smokers?

I’d say that obesity is not caused by ads for fried chicken before 9pm, and banning them will have zero effect. Obesity is a complex problem with numerous factors, and thinking it’s solved by simplistic solutions is really just about looking like you are doing something.

But no, I don’t see any connection between this and ‘free speech’, it’s a seriously tenuous stick to try and beat the government with.

Archived