UK Politics - You can't correct a mistake, if you don't admit it was a mistake

Which Tyler

On 6/10/2021 at 3:55 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

i also think its a strange idea to judge signs of protest on how many people are supportive. Surely the whole point is to raise awareness of uncomfortable societal truths. Of course people aren’t going to like that.

To an extent I agree with you but I think there’s a bit more nuance.

Yes A form of protest shouldn’t automatically be disqualified by virtue of a significant amount of the public  and at times a majority of the public not approving of it.

That could just render protesters doing nothing that would garner any attention.

Now having said that; It’s not enough to get public attention towards something. A significant amount of the public need actually do something in response to said thing.

Vote for political candidates who’d pledge to do something about said issue, boycott stores who are doing something against the protest’s message.

There is a balance that needs to be struck between being mindful for public approval and too petrified to do anything due to public disapproval.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:55 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

BUt from your post the Kick It Out campaign sounds more passive, less disruptive, not as in your face, whereas the decision to take a knee seems like a more visible, disruptive and in your face kind of approach.

Looking it up certainly reads that way. I would add on how general the explicit title of the campaign rings like “All lives matter.” in that it doesn’t address the fact certain lives are treated less valuable than others. 

As far as I'm concerned the extra 4 weeks is absolutely fine. No impact on my life whatsoever. And all those young uns, who have been pissing me off for about 15 months have to wait longer to go clubbing. Fuck them, those in their late teens and 20s have been taking the absolute piss. 

Yeah we are pretty open right now ( which makes you wonder what difference not opening up completely will make) so it’s not a big deal for me personally , even if mask wearing is really annoying. 

Im not a young person or a business who’s not doing so well from this however.

If there has to be a delay of a couple of weeks then probably not much to complain about. Having said that, what is the data that they are seeing, because it doesn’t really suggest that there will be any sort of huge upswing in deaths that Boris is warning about. Even hospitalisations don’t look all that concerning.

33 minutes ago, Leap said:

Yeah, we are so close to being fully open that I don't see what the extended restrictions will help us with.

Lots of info on the SPI-M-O papers that were published today, if you're inclined to read them.

Can't open that document that you've posted, but I don't think that's the one I read earlier today. This is the one I read today that answers your question regarding 'what the extended restrictions help us with, specifically with Step 4'

( Also, I don't think Boris would ever have gone back to what restrictions were like before the 17th - I said at the time that we should have delayed the indoor easing of restrictions on the 17th till we knew more about delta)

14 minutes ago, Leap said:

So why are we sticking to that plan? .

Because it's Boris & once we went past lifting the restrictions on the 17th, he would never have gone back to what the restrictions were like before that date. We're in this situation because of the half arsed approach we've taken over the last 18 months; like we wouldn't even be in this situation if we had a decent test & trace system and India had been put on the red list at the appropriate time.

Me linking the paper wasn't me entirely disagreeing with you, just explaining why they are postponing the 21st reopening.

I tried to decipher the earlier announcements about changing vaccination intervals but it seemed completely opaque from the coverage whether over-40s were able to rebook for an 8 week interval now or whether they would be given the opportunity to do so in the future. Eventually I gave up attempting to understand it and just tried it out on the NHS website and I've now moved my second dose to 8 and a half weeks after the first one rather than 11 weeks. If anyone else is in a similar situation there seemed to be lots of slots open, although annoyingly you do have to cancel your original appointment before seeing availability for a new one. My friend just managed to do the same despite being under 40, which isn't really what the announcement suggested should be possible.

34 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I tried to decipher the earlier announcements about changing vaccination intervals but it seemed completely opaque from the coverage whether over-40s were able to rebook for an 8 week interval now or whether they would be given the opportunity to do so in the future. Eventually I gave up attempting to understand it and just tried it out on the NHS website and I've now moved my second dose to 8 and a half weeks after the first one rather than 11 weeks. If anyone else is in a similar situation there seemed to be lots of slots open, although annoyingly you do have to cancel your original appointment before seeing availability for a new one. My friend just managed to do the same despite being under 40, which isn't really what the announcement suggested should be possible.

I was wondering if I’d be able to shorten my gap, but I really don’t want to have to cancel to find out...

2 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I was wondering if I’d be able to shorten my gap, but I really don’t want to have to cancel to find out...

It does sound like a design flaw if they're wanting people to move their appointments up but people are understandably nervous about cancelling their existing appointment.

Just now, williamjm said:

It does sound like a design flaw if they're wanting people to move their appointments up but people are understandably nervous about cancelling their existing appointment.

this is what happened to my Husband when they said the over 50's could book an earlier appointment.  He did not want to risk his current slot (had it today)  so he did not cancel and waited the full 12 weeks.  Most people I know who had the 1st shot about the same time as he did cancelled and re-booked.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

That does sound silly. Here, as soon as I booked an earlier appointment I virtually immediately got confirmation that my later appointment was cancelled. That way the later appointment was immediately freed up.

I have now cancelled and re-booked my 2nd appointment.  it was the 2nd of August now the 17th July.

Yes you have to cancel first,  before you can book a new one.  one of the reasons I did this in the middle of the night was to give me confidence I could easily re-book my initial appointment if there was none available.

32 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I hate to say it but Covid has accelerated the growth of Qanon morons in the UK. Journalist Nick Watt harassed by anti lockdown morons

No, not Covid.

Blame The Mail, The Express, The Sun, The Star, The Times, Sky News, LBC, TalkRadio, Liara Kuensberg, and now, GB fucking News.

Media for morons. Every single one of them has platformed these nutters.

And, ya know, fuck Nick Watt, the weasly little mouthpiece that he is.

24 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No, not Covid.

Blame The Mail, The Express, The Sun, The Star, The Times, Sky News, LBC, TalkRadio, Liara Kuensberg, and now, GB fucking News.

Media for morons. Every single one of them has platformed these nutters.

And, ya know, fuck Nick Watt, the weasly little mouthpiece that he is.

Nah. None of those people trust the main stream media. 

The only one you might have slight point about is Talk Radio, but that exists mostly as a YouTube thing I suspect , so can be lumped in with much of the other internet ‘news’ sources like Facebook and Instagram posts. 

Archived