US politics: Manchin to the beat of a different drum

IheartIheartTesla

On 6/1/2021 at 6:56 PM, Fez said:

Illinois Democrats are apparently going as aggressive as they can in the gerrymandering. Looks like they're going for a locked in 14-2 map in favor of Democrats with a single swingy district that leans Biden; so in most years it'll be 15-2. The current map is 13-5 for Democrats.

In principle I don't like gerrymandering, but considering what Republicans are up to I'm glad at least one trifecta Democratic state is willing to go hard. Hopefully New York Democrats overrule the state commission (unlike in some other states, there is a provision allowing them to) and act similarly.

Let’s just eliminate single member districts and use proportional rep to elect representatives at large by state.

6 hours ago, S John said:

There may be more than meets the eye here. MJ can help people with all kinds of chronic issues from insomnia to ptsd and often has less side effects than rx drugs prescribed for the same. It could be that the employee has a health issue where MJ is preferable to them over prescription drugs. Unless you live in a medical MJ state, in which case who knows, maybe they do just want to blaze it up indiscriminately.

Honestly I'm not sure if Wisconsin is a med. Mj state or not (no interest), but we are in a border area and I do know Michigan has the legal medical mj.

As far as her motives I'm only going off what she told her workmates before quitting for drastically lower compensation. That she specifically wanted to work at the other company because they didn't test for marajuana use or THC.

It sure sounded like she was making a clear choice of THC over financial benefits, it is her prerogative at the end of the day.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I finally figured it out!

Trump has been confusing golf with everything else in life this entire last half decade!

In his mind he was constantly “winning” by always getting the lowest score possible at anything he attempted.

Giant manbaby equates getting his way with winning so cheating is legit along with throwing poo of course. 

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

“Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.”

Aw man I forgot about that episode.   What a crazy tv series the trump presidency was.   Personally I think they should have shut the show down after the fourth season though.  It's just not on its game anymore.

Kinda neat SCOTUS ruling out: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-783_k53l.pdf

Not really for the ruling itself, which I don't fully understand (it reigns in the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 to some extent, but I don't know that law well), but the circumstances around it. It's a 6-3 ruling with the 3 liberals, Barrett, Kavanaugh, and Gorsuch; which is not exactly a line-up most people would expect. Also, it was written by Barrett, and it's her first non-unanimous opinion. And, as senior justice in the majority, Breyer was one who assigned the case to Barrett.

Lastly, I believe this is possibly Breyer's first time in his 27 years on the court that he's assigned an opinion. Until she died, Ginsburg was more senior than him and they were usually on the same side. And the times she wasn't, and in the time since then, I think anytime Breyer was in the majority Roberts was too; and the Chief Justice has top seniority (and in the pre-Roberts years, Breyer was too far down in seniority to ever be assigning a case).

One big thing the Bidens continue to demonstrate is they have the right people to do effective and affecting tv moments and events -- recall the tear-pulling after-inauguration.

This account of the annual Kennedy Center Honors ceremony and events for US artists is interesting, particularly for people (like me) who have spent a life time witnessing the sometimes even years' long planning and headaches of putting on large, public events, everything from academic conferences to international music and film festivals, which can last days and weeks. There are two versions of this years Kennedy Center Honors, the one shot in bits and pieces for the 2-hour ABC broadcast special, and two live events, outdoors, which television viewers won't have seen.  

Last year's event (2020) was cancelled until this year, May 2021.  The tv version broadcasts Sunday, June 6th.

The photo at the top of the article is an interesting contrast with what one would have seen if previous was still at the show, particularly for the women in the photo. However, such photos don't exist because he & partner in evil refused to attend these annual events at the Kennedy Center (2017, 2018, 2019; 2020 was cancelled).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/kennedy-center-honors-show-cbs/2021/06/02/9127b656-c2ee-11eb-93f5-ee9558eecf4b_story.html

The Kennedy Center Honors — with its secret list of performers and over-the-top production values — is a perennial highlight of Washington’s arts scene. But the show’s mystique grew to epic proportions this year, when the pandemic-delayed tribute to five popular artists became a supercharged symbol of the return of the performing arts.

Singer Joan Baez, country musician Garth Brooks, dancer-choreographer-actor Debbie Allen, violinist Midori and actor Dick Van Dyke were in town last month for the 43rd production, a five-day event that included a visit to the White House, a formal medallion ceremony and two live performances May 20 and 22 before the first large crowds that the arts center has hosted in more than a year.

In between those events, the Kennedy Center became a TV soundstage, where more than a dozen tribute performances and segments were taped on location both inside and out. The result of this high-wire act is a two-hour special airing Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBS....

18 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

An obvious point for me to make, but this is a problem I hope we have people working 24/7 to figure out how to combat effectively. However, at the same time I have to believe the way this is being reported just makes the mess so much worse. Like would gas stations have run out, if every major and local media site hadn't been running coverage all day about how there was a huge gas shortage and you'd be lucky to get any gas if you waited a moment longer to go fill up? 

Its the same with JBS, I don't want to downplay the problem, but our reporting on it just makes the situation so much worse. 

I forgot to respond to this post.

I actually think the problem has been companies have been keeping ransomware attacks secret. No one knows how widespread the problem is, how many millions of dollars, hundreds of millions, are going to criminals around the world. Billions, probably, in worldwide terms. 

These attacks have to be publicized, to force companies to acknowledge the issue, to bring more awareness to the public as well. Biden just signed an executive order aimed at strengthening cybersecurity for federal networks and outlining new security standards for commercial software used by businesses and the public. I think it also created new reporting requirements.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I forgot to respond to this post.

I actually think the problem has been companies have been keeping ransomware attacks secret. No one knows how widespread the problem is, how many millions of dollars, hundreds of millions, are going to criminals around the world. Billions, probably, in worldwide terms. 

These attacks have to be publicized, to force companies to acknowledge the issue, to bring more awareness to the public as well. Biden just signed an executive order aimed at strengthening cybersecurity for federal networks and outlining new security standards for commercial software used by businesses and the public. I think it also created new reporting requirements.

I was reading online that one group responsible for a lot of ransomware attacks had its servers shut down in an attack and its bitcoin wallet emptied. Law enforcement is suspected to be behind this.

26 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Speaking of SCOTUS, maybe would be a good time for Breyer to retire?  I know there's still time before the midterms, but with such a razor thin margin in the Senate it seems kind of reckless to just wait.  

There is/was no chance Breyer would retire before the current SCOTUS term ends. Once it's June 26, or July 2, or whenever the term finally wraps up, if Breyer doesn't announce his retirement; then we can get angry with him.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

There is/was no chance Breyer would retire before the current SCOTUS term ends. Once it's June 26, or July 2, or whenever the term finally wraps up, if Breyer doesn't announce his retirement; then we can get angry with him.

Don't be mad at Larry for knowing that you don't have to get ready if you stay ready to tell old justices to retire.

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

It sure sounded like she was making a clear choice of THC over financial benefits, it is her prerogative at the end of the day.

Personally I'd very strongly prefer to work for a company that didn't do compulsory drug testing over one that did, and I don't even use drugs.

4 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I think I now offcially hate Sinema more than Manchin. Even more difficult for thread titles, though...

I dunno, "Sinema" lends itself pretty well to puns and wordplay.

Anyway, surprised no mention here of Biden's new strategy to persuade Sinema/Manchin - making passive-aggressive comments:

Referring to himself in the third person, the president said: “Biden only has a majority of effectively four votes in the House, and a tie in the Senate — with two members of the Senate who voted more with my Republican friends.”

The effort to guilt Manchin and Sinema into flipping on the filibuster will be spearheaded by a crack team of Jewish mothers - organized, of course, by the Majority Leader.

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

I was reading online that one group responsible for a lot of ransomware attacks had its servers shut down in an attack and its bitcoin wallet emptied. Law enforcement is suspected to be behind this.

To make things much much much worse, this is what Norton, a so-called cyber security firm wants to do -- put data mining software on your new laptops.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/6/2/22465862/norton-360-crypto-mining-ethereum-coinbase

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

To make things much much much worse, this is what Norton, a so-called cyber security firm wants to do -- put data mining software on your new laptops.

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/6/2/22465862/norton-360-crypto-mining-ethereum-coinbase

Joy. Perhaps some lucky few of us will be offered the privilege of paying a couple hundred bucks so the manufacturer doesn't load bloat/spyware on our new laptops.

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

Good start.  Now let's use drone strikes against those indian based spam callers who won't leave me alone.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I dunno, "Sinema" lends itself pretty well to puns and wordplay.

Anyway, surprised no mention here of Biden's new strategy to persuade Sinema/Manchin - making passive-aggressive comments:

The effort to guilt Manchin and Sinema into flipping on the filibuster will be spearheaded by a crack team of Jewish mothers - organized, of course, by the Majority Leader.

Regarding puns, I'm probably just lame.

As for Biden's remarks... I think it's a start.

Well, at least it really paid off to give Manchin 's wife a job, right?

Archived