Strongest castles in westeros outside of Kings landing and Lord Paramount castles

Mrstrategy

The Dreadfort is apparently really strong. They were once the seat of kings and are now paramount so yeah. Moat Cailin when attacked from the south. The Twins are also a pain to get by which is why Old Walder Frey was able to negotiate for Robbs hand.

2 minutes ago, Corvus Black said:

And yet a castle it is. One yet to be breached by any army.

True, I suppose that Ramsay didn't technically "take" it. But just because it hasn't doesn't mean it will. Any army could do what Robb was planning to do. 

37 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

I don't think Harrenhal can be considered a particularly strong castle.  It's a white elephant, far too large for its lords to effectively garrison.

But HH is so huge that people living there should be able to grow at least some food and as long local garrison has access to any boats they could use those either for fishing or moving supplies and troops via Gods Eye. So any siege of HH should fail. Besides that castle has massive walls so any attacker who tries to storm it should lose many men.

But problem with HH is same than with Winterfell both of those are large enough that they should have population of large city but they only seem to include enough people for small village.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1160

That one is from me personally (it is a bit of burning issue for me because it debunked my favourite theory ;)), but - was Tywin really obligingly marching into Robb's trap when Edmure stopped him at the Red Fork? Did he really count on Lorch and Hoat with their IIRC 300 men holding Harrenhal and the northern prisoners in his absence?

Harrenhal is an immensely strong castle, and a garrison of three hundred is quite sizeable in medieval terms. Ser Amory =should= have been able to hold it. Lord Tywin likely thought that Roose Bolton might descend on the castle and besiege it, in which case Lorch could likely have held out for half a year or longer. The wild card here was Vargo Hoat changing sides.

Harrenhal has fallen several times over the last three centuries, but usually because of treachery or dragons.

19 hours ago, Corvus Black said:

And yet a castle it is. One yet to be breached by any army.

The thing about that is, nobody has tried it in thousands of years. It's mostly sunk into the mid now. Maybe it was good against the petty kings and even the Vale lords, but I wonder how it would fair against the combined might of the sixth southern kingdoms under one ruler?

3 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

The thing about that is, nobody has tried it in thousands of years. It's mostly sunk into the mid now. Maybe it was good against the petty kings and even the Vale lords, but I wonder how it would fair against the combined might of the sixth southern kingdoms under one ruler?

It'd likely be as effective, the causeway is the fundamental problem for the attacker rather than the fortress itself. They can't really get enough men and material up the road at once to make taking those towers practical and beyond that what are they gonna do if an army just sits on northern end of the causeway. Barring the Moat being completely undefended it'd probably always be more practical to make a short seaborne landing. 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:38 PM, Trigger Warning said:

It'd likely be as effective, the causeway is the fundamental problem for the attacker rather than the fortress itself. They can't really get enough men and material up the road at once to make taking those towers practical and beyond that what are they gonna do if an army just sits on northern end of the causeway. Barring the Moat being completely undefended it'd probably always be more practical to make a short seaborne landing. 

Yeah, I was going to mention that. If it's still too tough to go through, just go around.

Archived