Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

12 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Looking at the TV schedule, I see that June 2 is The Day I Get Test Cricket Back. 

Is that the England/New Zealand test? It should hopefully be a good contest although given how damp May has been and that the bowling attacks are lead by Anderson, Broad, Southee and Boult who should all be well-suited to the likely conditions I think it might not be a particularly high scoring series.

15 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Is that the England/New Zealand test? It should hopefully be a good contest although given how damp May has been and that the bowling attacks are lead by Anderson, Broad, Southee and Boult who should all be well-suited to the likely conditions I think it might not be a particularly high scoring series.

It is indeed ENG-NZ -- and it'll be interesting to see if this series mirrors something that's been weird about the current U.S. baseball season: we've had at six no-hitters since the season began in April. Typically you only get 2 or 3 for an entire season! (baseball season is April - October.)

On 5/23/2021 at 7:49 PM, williamjm said:

Boult is out of the first test (he is joining the tour late due to a post-IPL break). But NZ will still ask plenty of questions through Southee, Henry, Jamieson and the indefatigable Wagner. Even de Grandhomme could be very useful if there is some movement. 

Doug Bracewell is the name that surprised me in the NZ touring party. Not a name I thought would get re-selected, though that Hobart test will never be forgotten (at least not by me). 

16 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Boult is out of the first test (he is joining the tour late due to a post-IPL break). But NZ will still ask plenty of questions through Southee, Henry, Jamieson and the indefatigable Wagner. Even de Grandhomme could be very useful if there is some movement. 

Doug Bracewell is the name that surprised me in the NZ touring party. Not a name I thought would get re-selected, though that Hobart test will never be forgotten (at least not by me). 

They've certainly got some strength in depth in the seam bowling department, and I think it's generally fair to assume that New Zealand bowlers will find early season English conditions familiar.

Foakes has suffered a freak dressing room injury (don’t wear sock on slippery floors!)

So England will hand a debut to the promising Bracey at Lord’s. Haseeb Hameed also gets a late inclusion after years in the wilderness...some pressure on Sibley and Burns this summer.

20 hours ago, Paxter said:

Foakes has suffered a freak dressing room injury (don’t wear sock on slippery floors!)

So England will hand a debut to the promising Bracey at Lord’s. Haseeb Hameed also gets a late inclusion after years in the wilderness...some pressure on Sibley and Burns this summer.

I remember Zack Crawley also had a dressing-room accident recently on the India tour, maybe the England team need to employ a health and safety expert in addition to all the analysts they have?

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

I remember Zack Crawley also had a dressing-room accident recently on the India tour, maybe the England team need to employ a health and safety expert in addition to all the analysts they have?

On 5/27/2021 at 8:40 AM, Paxter said:

Foakes Crawley and Archer 

Anderson closing on an 1,000 FC wickets and should break Cook’s test appearances record this summer. Incredible stuff.

Can’t wait for the Lord’s test! Will be glued to my screen.

Glad NZ is getting to see some more Test cricket, particularly at Lords. They've got an incredibly good team, they should be playing as much as possible. As good as their bowling attack is, I think a lot will depend on Williamson and ensuring that they can put together decent scores against an English attack in home conditions.

Solid start for New Zealand. Conway and Latham look relatively untroubled. Which isn't ideal for England given their hopes in this series probably rest on Anderson and Broad causing the Kiwi batting lineup significant problems.

25 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

So are the England batters injured?

Not really. Foakes picked up a bit of freak injury so he's out. Stokes is injured but they're not playing any of the IPL players anyway so he wouldn't have been involved.

ETA: Basically England are in a bit of transition with their top order anyway so they've got a lot of inexperienced batsmen there and they're not playing their IPL players so that rules out Buttler and the allrounders.

Nice start for NZ. With four of their top five averaging over 40 in test cricket (a rarity these days), the early stages of an NZ innings are always going to be tough for England. The main hope for the hosts is that NZ are batting Watling at 6, so CdeG is a little high at 7. 

I dread to know what England's over rate will be in this match with no spinner...

Archived