Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

Good match so far, finely balanced.

NZ had a subpar first innings, could have been so much more but also could have been so much less if it wasn't for Wagner thumping a few at the end. NZ are back to the tough lower order days of Vettori et al, to have guys like Santner etc in the side who can bat - and a guy like Wagner down at number 11.

England have steadied the ship, I think they're in a decent position if Root can go on to get a score. NZ will miss Boult in these situations - he would have been letahl in English conditions and would have been the go-to guy to break a dangerous developing partnership like this.

12 hours ago, Paxter said:

Lol there is Davies on the men's side! Our one and only. 

Sure, never heard of him tbh :D

Let's not go down the Stoinis/Zampa shipping path...

:agree:

I don't think he was overly late in being recognized - it's just the way things are for some migrant players. He only became eligible to play for NZ in August 2020. 

And let's not forget that Wagner, Watling and de Grandhomme were all born in SA or Zim, but I think they all migrated to NZ much earlier than Conway. 

There's this SA Grant shifted to NZ, main reason for SA loss in 2015 WC semis. I remember those crying Proteas. Steyn. Abd. Faf. Morkel. Their semis jinx has been going on for ever it seems. 

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

I can't believe there's been no play. It appears to be great weather everywhere in the UK except for Lords.

It’s been pissing down all day in Berkshire. I was too busy to watch yesterday, but of course, today was free. Typical.

15 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Sure, never heard of him tbh :D

Steve Davies played a few limited over internationals for England about a decade ago. Never played in a Test, that was probably about the time Matt Prior was the England keeper.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I can't believe there's been no play. It appears to be great weather everywhere in the UK except for Lords.

It's also been raining steadily here in Cambridge so I'm not too surprised.

Yeah, that swings things back in New Zealand's favour. England need Pope to step up here. He's been a promising talent for a little while now but England could do with hims starting to contribute innings of significance.

ETA: So that didn't work out. Pope gone. England are in trouble now.

11 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, that swings things back in New Zealand's favour. England need Pope to step up here. He's been a promising talent for a little while now but England could do with hims starting to contribute innings of significance.

ETA: So that didn't work out. Pope gone. England are in trouble now.

Haha nice one. Thread strikes again...

32 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

damn England in trouble now

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Not sure if they have enough time for a win, but maybe if they get these dudes out quickly

10 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

damn England in trouble now

In such a mixed up world it is reassuring there are still some things we can rely on.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

And that’s his hundred. Really good effort from Burns with the carnage at the other end.

He definitely saved the innings for England.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

:lol: Right up until there were three reds I thought that was a terrible review from Root. Shows what I know I suppose.

It just didn't look right. I'm not even sure the England players believed it was out when they reviewed it.

Archived