Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

35 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

LOL Mr. X just took one look at Kyle Jamieson and said "holy shit! It's the Mountain That Bowls!"

And we have our next thread title!

Match is sadly petering out here, with the Vicar of Sibley doing his best job of impersonating Rahul Dravid. 

NZ will have a bit of a selection dilemma when Boult is back for the WTC final. It’s hard to drop any of the quicks as they all look dangerous, while CDG and Santner add depth to the batting.

Perhaps no point playing a spinner against India?

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

missed the morning session and I see NZ really tried to make a go of it before declaring. Let's hope England also decide to try for the win otherwise we're in for two dreary sessions. 

I don't think England's approach here suggests much confidence in their batting line-up, perhaps understandably after the traumas of India. I think at most points in recent years they would have gone for that run chase, they might well have crashed and burned but at least they'd have given it a go.

They're definitely missing Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler in a situation like that, although I think even Jonathon Trott might have been more aggressive than Dom Sibley.

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

NZ will have a bit of a selection dilemma when Boult is back for the WTC final. It’s hard to drop any of the quicks as they all look dangerous, while CDG and Santner add depth to the batting.

Perhaps no point playing a spinner against India?

It's a nice problem to have, although given Boult's pedigree if he's fully fit I'm sure he plays. I think they might want a spinner even if only to give the seamers a rest.

8 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Re the Ollie Robinson tweet story:  Mark Ramprakash being freakin' AWESOME on BBC Breakfast right now.

Another Indian origin non Indian player!? Not surprising much, since we in India have only cricket talent. Nice colonial conspiracy, effectively eliminating possible competition in other sports from such a large population, establishing a huge market for the sport, broadcasting, sponsorship, advertising whatnot 

21 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Another Indian origin non Indian player!? Not surprising much, since we in India have only cricket talent. Nice colonial conspiracy, effectively eliminating possible competition in other sports from such a large population, establishing a huge market for the sport, broadcasting, sponsorship, advertising whatnot 

IIRC he was born and brought up in England and has lived in the country all his life. He is also ethnically half English. :)

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

IIRC he was born and brought up in England and has lived in the country all his life. He is also ethnically half English. :)

His "Indian" origin is actually Guyanan ...

5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Some commentators I was listening to recently were reminiscing about the 94-95 summer, when Australia felt that England and Zimbabwe were too weak, so chose to field an Australia A team in the main one-day tournament. 

How long before India needs to do something similar?

ETA: If we assume that, in the long-term, population = cricket success, then the rankings will one day look like:

1. India
  2. Pakistan
  3. Bangladesh
  4. South Africa
  5. England 
  6. Afghanistan
  7. Aus
  8. Sri Lanka
  9. Zim
  10. NZ/Ireland (couldn't find a definitive answer on population - they are close!)

11 hours ago, A wilding said:

Sure. Like Ish Sodhi and Lisa Sthalekar and more. 

9 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Surprising. But the Ramprakash part of the name is distinctively Indian. Like the Kamala in Mrs VP Harris. Or just a Hindu vestige. 

9 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Mark Ramprakash was born in Bushey, Hertfordshire, and is of Indo-Guyanese and English descent. His father, born in British Guiana, was Indo-Guyanese and his mother was English

Indo-Guyanese or Indian-Guyanese are people of Indian origin who are Guyanese nationals tracing their ancestry to the Indian subcontinent. They are the descendants of indentured laborers and settlers who emigrated beginning in 1838 from India during the time of the British Raj.

Enough of debating ethnicity. Cricket politics doesn't belong here with aficionados. My bad. Let's resume the good humor. 

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Mark Ramprakash was born in Bushey, Hertfordshire, and is of Indo-Guyanese and English descent. His father, born in British Guiana, was Indo-Guyanese and his mother was English

Indo-Guyanese or Indian-Guyanese are people of Indian origin who are Guyanese nationals tracing their ancestry to the Indian subcontinent. They are the descendants of indentured laborers and settlers who emigrated beginning in 1838 from India during the time of the British Raj.

Enough of debating ethnicity. Cricket politics doesn't belong here with aficionados. My bad. Let's resume the good humor. 

I think you're the only one debating!

Archived