Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

Plenty of upheaval for both teams on the eve of the second test, particularly with more historical tweets being dredged up on the England side.

For the hosts, we'll likely see Overton and Leach come in for Robinson and Broad. 

For the visitors, Williamson's elbow is playing up again and Latham will captain. Santner is also injured, while one or two of the seamers (prob Southee/Wagner) might be rotated out for Boult and Henry. Young and Ajaz will be the batting and spinning replacements. 

Intriguing deciding test ahead!

3 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Plenty of upheaval for both teams on the eve of the second test, particularly with more historical tweets being dredged up on the England side.

For the hosts, we'll likely see Overton and Leach come in for Robinson and Broad. 

For the visitors, Williamson's elbow is playing up again and Latham will captain. Santner is also injured, while one or two of the seamers (prob Southee/Wagner) might be rotated out for Boult and Henry. Young and Ajaz will be the batting and spinning replacements. 

Intriguing deciding test ahead!

Williamson is obviously a huge loss, even if he didn't do much in the first Test, New Zealand must be hoping he's recovered by the time on the India Test.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Williamson is obviously a huge loss, even if he didn't do much in the first Test, New Zealand must be hoping he's recovered by the time on the India Test.

Williamson’s overall record in England is very poor, so perhaps he isn’t as great a loss as usual from a batting standpoint. But I think his captaincy/leadership is irreplaceable.

3 minutes ago, Paxter said:

England need to start playing proper, experienced test batsmen at 3. A young and out-of-form Crawley should be blooded at 5 or 6.

Jon Trott feels like a lifetime ago.

Do we have any of those who haven’t already been tried and failed? Outside Trott, we’ve been looking for a No3 since Gower, and he was better at 4.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Lucky stain, never to be washed!

Or.....it passed the smell test, so good enough!

:stillsick: 

I suppose I should not be churlish, considering how gross baseball players' caps are. But...that stain is going to bug me until he retires that sweater (or launders it). 

1 hour ago, Hereward said:

Do we have any of those who haven’t already been tried and failed? Outside Trott, we’ve been looking for a No3 since Gower, and he was better at 4.

TBH I'd probably give Stokes a run at 3, given that Root doesn't want it. Moot point given the current squad though. 

Burns filling his boots, which is nice to see. He was in great County form and is really getting under the NZers' skin now. 

10 minutes ago, Paxter said:

TBH I'd probably give Stokes a run at 3, given that Root doesn't want it. Moot point given the current squad though.

It's a lot of work if England want him to bowl a decent number of overs though.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's a lot of work if England want him to bowl a decent number of overs though.

Kallis did it for years in a similar position...is there much difference between batting at 4/5 and 3?

1 minute ago, Paxter said:

Kallis did it for years in a similar position...is there much difference between batting at 4/5 and 3?

Kallis spent a significant proportion of those years pretty reluctant to bowl though. It's not impossible obviously but I don't think it's ideal.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

Kallis spent a significant proportion of those years pretty reluctant to bowl though. It's not impossible obviously but I don't think it's ideal.

I think Stokes is fitter and unlikely to be as reluctant...but take the point.

I guess in the meantime we are stuck with trialing young guns (Crawley) or experienced County journeymen (Denly).  

Archived