Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

Another collapse from England. Amazing from NZ - looks like they will thrash England at home with an almost second XI.

Unless England can still win this on boundary countback?

2 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Your lips to god's ear.

Since I've got their attention, here's what I need next

1. Get the tories out of govt

2. Get Modi out of the govt

3. And a car would be nice, but I'll sacrifice it if I get 1 & 2.

5 hours ago, Paxter said:

England actually look more confident with Wood and Stone out there…

I was thinking that, Wood was showing more composure than half the England top order.

Back in the old days touring teams would warm up for the Tests with some first class games which would give them some time in the middle without challenging them too much. I feel like England are giving New Zealand that sort of preparation in advance of the India Test, giving confidence to new players like Conway and Young and allowing Taylor to get into some sort of form.

England on the other hand have a lot of problems. If they can bring back Stokes and Buttler that will help a bit (Bracey sadly has had a nightmare in his first two games) and the openers have put in some good performances before this latest innings but number 3 looks like a huge problem and it would helpful if Root's form would improve.

NZ look excellent. They might blow India away, especially as India's prep would not have been anywhere as good as NZs. Also, for a final, I would have hoped for a series of tests as opposed to just one test.

2 hours ago, Hereward said:

My brother-in-law got made redundant this week, and today was his birthday. His present, tickets to the game for today. That’s a hell of a week.

Tickets to see England play Test cricket does seem like a high-risk present.

A few reflections on the Eng v NZ series:

- NZ's incredible bench depth was on show. They have built a quality pool of test batters, swing/seam bowlers, keepers and even a more than serviceable back-up spinner to choose from. That put them in a great position to win, even when all-time greats Kaneo and Southee were omitted for Edgbaston. I loved the way that guys like Conway, Young, Henry and Patel came into the side and performed well from the word go. 

- England's selection and squad management was a mess. They are usually flooded with all-rounders, but this time they made the rather daft decision to rest all of them in the same series. It's possible that this series could have played out differently had even one or two of Stokes, Curran, Buttler, Woakes, Bairstow or Ali been made available. I also don't think that Wood and Stone should be in the same side together in English conditions. 

- The fact that this was England's first home defeat since 2014 flatters them. This loss has been coming for a long time. They were lucky to escape in the last Ashes and India's 4-1 loss last time around could have been completely different if not for Sam Curran. England rely too much on individual brilliance and thoroughly deserved to lose this series.  

- The whole narrative of Silverwood/Giles/Root banding together to focus on tests and win back the Ashes is poppycock. Nothing I've seen since the Sri Lanka tour indicates that England will challenge Australia for the Ashes. 5-0 Australia (?)

NZ and India both now have a lot of happy selection dilemmas before the WTC final. Does India play Jadeja or Ashwin? Is Vihari still in the mix batting wise? Who are the unlucky quicks to miss out for NZ (probably Jamieson and Henry)? And does Santner reclaim his spot (I hope not)?

Archived