Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

I’m saying slight advantage India in the WTC final. NZ would’ve wanted a lot more wickets after winning the toss.

And India’s women fighting hard in Bristol! The English will have to score quite quickly in the fourth to have any chance.

11 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I’m saying slight advantage India in the WTC final. NZ would’ve wanted a lot more wickets after winning the toss.

They seem to have gone with the dubious English strategy of not picking a spinner. Having 5 seamers does seem a bit excessive, although I guess they shouldn't need to worry about workload too much.

35 minutes ago, williamjm said:

They seem to have gone with the dubious English strategy of not picking a spinner. Having 5 seamers does seem a bit excessive, although I guess they shouldn't need to worry about workload too much.

They don't usually play a spinner in home tests, so I guess they opted to stay with a more familiar line-up. Personally, I'd have liked to see Patel in the side. India is loaded with right handers and I think at the very least he could have bowled economically to the top order and maybe cleaned up the tail. 

44 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Imagine trying to lecture one of the greatest spinners in the history of the game. 

And one who used to play for Hampshire and should therefore be very familiar with local conditions.

21 hours ago, Paxter said:

ETA: It’s kinda funny that several different test teams are at such a low ebb with test batting. SA, Windies, Aus, England, SL, Pakistan are all struggling to produce high quality batsmen compared to previous generations. I guess it’s a perfect storm of T20, DRS and a lack of FC cricket. Plus some very handy bowling attacks and spicier pitches.

I have to say, I'm liking the fact that bowlers are getting a look-in now. A decade ago it was pretty commonplace to find most Test sides full of 40+ averages. It will be nice to go back to a time when a 40 average really meant something and where 50 was the mark of an all-time great.

I haven't managed to follow the NZ/India Test as we made the trek down to the snow for a week (Yes, Australia has snow...though it's pretty poor), but it doesn't look like I'm missing too much! Draw looks odds-on at this stage.

59 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I haven't managed to follow the NZ/India Test as we made the trek down to the snow for a week (Yes, Australia has snow...though it's pretty poor), but it doesn't look like I'm missing too much! Draw looks odds-on at this stage.

It probably depends on how much more time is lost to bad weather/light but India being 211/7 at lunch on what is effectively day 2 of 5 isn't looking like a game necessarily heading for a draw, although still difficult to pick a favourite until New Zealand get their chance to bat.

Have to admit it was the right decision not to play Patel. NZ were relentless with the five seamers and CDG does give them a longer batting order.

@Jeor: I agree that it’s nice that the bowlers are getting a look in. I just get a little bit sad when I look at the Windies batting order and 30 is about the highest average amongst any player! Mayers excepted…but I’m sure his average has further to fall :(.

On Conway - apparently he was dominating FC cricket to the extent that the NZ cricket board offered him a contract to play before he was even qualified to represent NZ!

Door is still ajar for India here. All results in play. Shame about the forecast for tomorrow but fingers crossed!

Archived