Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

I'd look for an overnight declaration so the English bowlers can get the best of the conditions in the morning. No point adding to a 300+ lead at this point. The only way India can get back into it is by racking up 500 runs over 2 days leaving a somewhat tricky 150 run chase on the last day, which isnt going to happen.

Only positive India can take out is if the middle order makes some runs and bats themselves back into form.

Root is an amazing batsman, but I'm not sure he is aggressive enough as a captain. This post-tea session things have just drifted when a few attacking fielding placements might have helped. Then again, there isnt anyone secure enough in the team to be captain in his stead (apart from some of the bowlers, but I think there's a law that says captains have to be batsmen or wicketkeepers).

Pant's been pretty poor in this series. I know he's an aggressive batsman who's always going to play his shots but in the series in Australia and against England in India it always felt like he was trying to impose himself on the bowlers. The shots he's playing in this series actually seem like a bit of a negative mindset, he doesn't seem to have any confidence he's going to be able to hang around for any period of time so he's just throwing the bat at the ball to try and pick up a few boundaries before he gets out.

Butler will miss the next Test (and possibly the one after). On current form that shouldn't be much of a loss to the batting. Bairstow will take up wicket-keeping duties and I guess Ollie Pope will probably be added to the team. Meanwhile, Chris Woakes is fit again so might replace Sam Curran, although it's been a long time since he last played red ball cricket so difficult to know what his form is.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

. Meanwhile, Chris Woakes is fit again so might replace Sam Curran, although it's been a long time since he last played red ball cricket so difficult to know what his form is.

Both Curran's must stick to white ball IMO

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I think Ali does have his fingers under the ball there but it does bounce out again. He did catch it but, Atherton’s right, the third umpire should probably be watching that through.

Agreed. That wasn't the most intuitive piece of third umpiring we've seen!

On England's team - it's amazing how much the XI changed (for the better) over the course of the series. Five of the Trent Bridge starters are out and the team is looking better and better. Not to say they can't stuff this up from here, but the signs are oddly good. 

Archived