Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

I think India’s opening bowlers were fantastic. Back up hasn’t been so good.

England not completely bottling it (yet)…noting that one of the five wickets is a lower order batsman.

I wonder if Bairstow can get past 40 this time?

That old guard of Jonny, Moeen and Woakes has really added some spine to the England lower order, which was sorely lacking on the India tour and early in this series.

Decent performance to chisel out a 100-run lead after the top order misfired.

I wonder if India can now repeat their third innings from the last match and set up an exciting fourth stanza.

Yeah, if India get to 300 (and that's a big if with this fragile batting set up) then that leaves a tricky 200+ run chase. And at that time we can all bemoan Ashwin being left out, as I imagine this pitch may start taking some turn on day 4 (and he did well the last time he bowled there). Anyway, poor batting from India compared to England, and poor bowling (not sure if it was captaincy as well) allowing England to recover from 62-5 as well as 255-9.

Really great set-up now. This is becoming a bit of a classic series, with every test having its share of swings and about-faces.

I know a lot of the fans are grumpy about India's performance in this series, but I still think they have shown their class. The innings from Shardul was a real marker of that - a fringe player coming in and turning around the match, setting a new record for fastest fifty at a venerable test ground. To me, that is reminiscent of the great Australian test team under Taylor, Waugh and Ponting. Just when you thought you had their batters on the ropes, Gilchrist or Hussey or even Warne would chip in and resurrect an innings. 

3 hours ago, Paxter said:

That old guard of Jonny, Moeen and Woakes has really added some spine to the England lower order, which was sorely lacking on the India tour and early in this series.

Decent performance to chisel out a 100-run lead after the top order misfired.

It was a good recovery and gives them a good lead, although it does still feel like they should have scored more and really put the game out of India's reach in the way they did in the previous match.

Pope in particular looked good, hopefully he'll start to deliver on his obvious talent.

I think Pope is a ready-made test batter and will ultimately come good at this level. He averages over 50 in County cricket (which is virtually unheard of these days) and has made double figures in 11 of his last 12 test innings.

He just has to start making it consistently into the 100-150 balls faced range and he will get that average over 40. 

When Kohli comes in, if he cant make use of this excellent platform on which to get a century, I dont know what to tell ya. I was thinking a 250 run chase would be tough, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe the pitch will take turn on the 5th day judging by some of the deliveries today, but it isnt also clear Jadeja is the one to exploit that.

Mo getting a bit roughed up. This goes back to what a few of us were saying at the start of the series - on the flatter, end of season tracks it’ll be handy to have Leach in the side.

Virat in now. What a key innings this could be…

And well done to Rohit. He has been threatening to do that for a while.

I think there’s a decent chance this is already too much, England aren’t exactly rock solid under pressure, but it’s a good surface and there’s always the chance Root catches fire. Given that I think India would prefer to be 300 plus in front.

Archived