Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

17 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I wouldnt declare, not on this pitch. The more time they bat the less time England has to make the runs required, and that would take an England win out of the 4 possible outcomes. Its all bunnies after Pant and Thakur anyways, so I imagine Kohli will just wait till they get all out.

all of that makes total sense. 

also LOL WTF that missed run-out was wild for all involved.

I'm not sure why CricViz is giving India a 64% chance of a win and England only 16%. The latter have been routinely scoring at 3+ runs an over the entire series (compared to India going below 3 because of slowpokes at top of the order). Assuming a 300 run chase with ~110-120 overs is par for the course for England.

6 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I wouldnt declare, not on this pitch. The more time they bat the less time England has to make the runs required, and that would take an England win out of the 4 possible outcomes. Its all bunnies after Pant and Thakur anyways, so I imagine Kohli will just wait till they get all out.

I agree, although it is difficult to know what sort of total would really be out of reach given how destructive some of the England batsmen are in limited-overs crickets. I think it might be more about forcing England to take more risks if they want to make a run-chase.

It is an intriguing set-up. I think India have to still be favourites but it still seems a good batting pitch and after England batted out the final session without loss it's definitely an achievable run chase, but they would have to play really well. There's definitely a change that early wickets could lead to the English panicking.

I think India might wish now that they had Ashwin in the side, I'm not sure there are any current players that could be more effective when you need to take 10 wickets on a final-day pitch.

I think that 100 run partnership has cemented Burns and Hameed as England's opening partnership for the Ashes. There wasn't a lot Burns could have done about the ball that got him out.

This match really should be a draw from here, someone's going to have to get it wrong pretty badly to lose. England really shouldn't be losing 10 wickets in a day on this pitch (although if anyone can it's England) and if it comes down to it India really should be able to keep enough of a lid on the run rate to not let England score another 250 odd runs.

ETA: What the hell is Malan doing there? Jesus.

Archived