Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

Thought this was a nice statistical analysis to display King Kane's test dominance since Jan 2020:

Steve Smith: 376 runs at 42 (one hundred)

Virat Kohli: 345 runs at 25 (no hundreds)

Kane Williamson: 842 runs at 77 (3 hundreds)

A great victory for New Zealand, and a very well-deserved one. The weather interruptions may have disrupted the match but when they did get out in the middle it seemed to be a contest worthy of deciding who gets to call themselves the world's best Test team.

If it hadn't been for the insanity of the last few overs of the World Cup final they could easily have been the reigning champions in both 50-over and Test formats.

Great win by NZ. Forgot about the reserve day when I predicted draw! 

Really happy for New Zealand, especially after their World Cup heartbreak. Now they can say they have something tangible for this once-in-a-generation team that is firing on all cylinders.

Good on New Zealand. Obviously don't like losing, but you can't begrudge them that win.

Also, on a scale of 0 to insufferable, how bad is the 'The Test' series re: australia on amazon?

On 6/20/2021 at 7:43 AM, Jeor said:

I have to say, I'm liking the fact that bowlers are getting a look-in now. A decade ago it was pretty commonplace to find most Test sides full of 40+ averages. It will be nice to go back to a time when a 40 average really meant something and where 50 was the mark of an all-time great.

Agreed. Again I'm going to bring in a comparison to the Dread Béisbol but whatevs. It's interesting to see the same fluctuations in cricket, where there will be a decade of batter/batsperson dominance, followed by pitcher/bowler dominance. I personally prefer the latter, because I think it makes for more interesting strategies and better viewing because the element of danger -- one tiny mistake and your whole offense will fall apart -- is always there. If I wanted to watch a bunch of balls sailing over the fence, I'd watch the fucking home-run derby. 

1 hour ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

Kohli grumbling one test not enough to decide champion

Can see his point, but I think for scheduling reasons we won't see a change. Plus I quite liked the high drama / high stakes of a single test. 

One change I wouldn't mind seeing is letting the top-ranked team host, but the second-ranked team gets to win the toss automatically. Again though, scheduling will be a problem. 

16 hours ago, Paxter said:

In case anyone was asking, yes, T20 Internationals are the worst form of cricket.

Thanks go to England and Sri Lanka for the reminder. 

11 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

I've tried to watch these matches and I just can't. They're so fucking boring.

T10:laugh:

Archived