Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

14 hours ago, ash_what_ said:

What's the Afghan sitaution going to do to its cricket, i like rashid....

While it perhaps isn't their biggest concern right now I was wondering the same thing.

If I remember correctly the original Afghan team that rose up the ranks was largely made up of players who were based in Pakistan but perhaps that became less true over time?

Maybe if the english didn't take Shami & Bumrah for 'rabbits', they may have actually got them out.

Could watch that Shami 50 all day, certainly did not see this result coming at the start of the day. We really should be 2-0 up.

Good win for India…but comparisons to the ‘Gabba win are ridiculous. A third string India beating a decent Australian side at their bouncy fortress. A full strength India beating the weakest English team since the turn of the century on a good batting track.

They’re not even in the same ball park. 

A few vultures are starting to circle over Justin Langer, from both within and outside the Australian camp.

Personally I think he’s done a good job after the Lehmann disaster, but there are signs that his high intensity approach is not suited to a Covid world.

The results haven't been there, so not point in having a high intensity approach if it isn't successful. If he was winning, i doubt anyone would care. But yeah, his days are numbered. He just took the team on at a terrible time. First the scandal, then covid. Poor guy couldn't catch a break. I wonder who is next in line.

To be fair to Langer, he was a good stopgap appointment. Tough, instant cred as a former player, and kind of what the team needed after losing its way. However, that time seems to have passed now.

45 minutes ago, Jeor said:

To be fair to Langer, he was a good stopgap appointment. Tough, instant cred as a former player, and kind of what the team needed after losing its way. However, that time seems to have passed now.

I don’t think he was envisaged as a stopgap, but it’s turned out that way as the team isn’t gelling with his leadership style.

I think with his success with the Scorchers he was seen as the right coach to stabilize the team, as well as launch them into a new era of success. He has only partially met that brief.

Underscoring England's batting woes, Sibley (test average of 28) is being replaced by Malan (test average 27).

To be fair, Malan has become a more successful international cricket since he last played test matches...but it's still a bit of a red flag for the lack of batting depth on the County circuit.

10 hours ago, Paxter said:

Underscoring England's batting woes, Sibley (test average of 28) is being replaced by Malan (test average 27).

To be fair, Malan has become a more successful international cricket since he last played test matches...but it's still a bit of a red flag for the lack of batting depth on the County circuit.

He's probably really replacing Crawley (test average of 28) rather than Sibley and Hameed (test average 32) will be replacing Sibley. But, yeah, this is probably the worst England test batting lineup ever. If there were clearly better options available they'd be playing already.

Honestly James Vince is starting to look pretty good in retrospect. If we're going to be this shit at least it might as well be a nice looking 20 or 30 before edging one to the slips.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

He's probably really replacing Crawley (test average of 28) rather than Sibley and Hameed (test average 32) will be replacing Sibley. But, yeah, this is probably the worst England test batting lineup ever. If there were clearly better options available they'd be playing already.

Honestly James Vince is starting to look pretty good in retrospect. If we're going to be this shit at least it might as well be a nice looking 20 or 30 before edging one to the slips.

Haha yeah.

Reminds me of the Easybeats lyric: “Even my old man looks good...”

Maybe England should just open with Roy and Bairstow, Vince at 3, Root 4, Malan 5, Morgan 6, Buttler 7

:P

It’s starting to look like a poor decision from Kohli to bat.

I have to say the parts of the match when England are bowling do feel fairly secondary. Of course they’re capable of bowling sides out cheaply with Anderson in the team but it doesn’t really matter if the batting then collapses in a heap.

Archived