Cricket 41: "Test World Cup equivalent, purists and noobs (like me)!"

TheLastWolf

I feel a bit sorry for Bracey but that might be his England career done. He's never likely to get a regular spot as wicketkeeper so these New Zealand tests were a bit of an extended trial of his potential as a batsman.

It's probably England's chances in this test done too unless the loss of Williamson completely unnerves the New Zealand batting lineup.

I wouldn't give up yet. Could easily see NZ's batters struggling too. Taylor looks out of form; no Williamson. A lot will rest on Conway, Latham and Nicholls. 

ETA: Also feel sad for Bracey. Never got in. 

ETA2: England went with four quicks again....do they want Wood to get injured(!)

ETA3: Oh dear West Indies. SA rampant in the first session. The visitors' attack (Kagiso, Nortje, Nghidi, Maharaj) is fantastic. 

4 hours ago, Paxter said:

ETA2: England went with four quicks again....do they want Wood to get injured(!)

Patel seemed to be getting some spin on the first day as well, sometimes I don't know what the selectors are thinking.

In the end Lawrence managed to stage a bit of a recovery but they still seem on track for a significantly below-par score. After such a long run of low scores it is difficult to see Crawley playing against India unless he does a lot better in the second innings. Bracey also needs to prove his ability with the bat.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

Patel seemed to be getting some spin on the first day as well, sometimes I don't know what the selectors are thinking.

In the end Lawrence managed to stage a bit of a recovery but they still seem on track for a significantly below-par score. After such a long run of low scores it is difficult to see Crawley playing against India unless he does a lot better in the second innings. Bracey also needs to prove his ability with the bat.

I get playing four quicks if Stokes is in the team to share the load. But four quicks and no all rounder is borderline masochistic.

3 minutes ago, Paxter said:

I get playing four quicks if Stokes is in the team to share the load. But four quicks and no all rounder is borderline masochistic.

In recent years, England’s policy is best predicted by thinking, what would a highly paid group of management consultants who know nothing about the specific issues of the sector (though I repeat myself) do?

7 hours ago, Paxter said:

I don't think they have faith in their spinners! It's odd.

I really need to start playing cricket here. Bet these Berkshire boys can't handle my gentle leg spin. Can't wait to feel like Kumble.

11 hours ago, Raja said:

I don't think they have faith in their spinners! It's odd.

I really need to start playing cricket here. Bet these Berkshire boys can't handle my gentle leg spin. Can't wait to feel like Kumble.

The Berkshire boys seem strangely unflustered by my gentle leg spin. Then again, I’m more Ian Salisbury than Anil Kumble.

10 hours ago, Hereward said:

I don’t want to Paxter it, but could we have found our new No.3, the Durham Richards?

He certainly looked more assured than Zack Crawley has so far this year.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

That’s brutal. Will Young out last over of the day to Dan Lawrence’s part time spin.

There were a couple of soft dismissals for him and Conway but they had both played well. New Zealand seem to be unearthing some good batsmen recently. New Zealand could be moving into a strong position here, although there's still more work to do.

13 minutes ago, Raja said:

Why do they not play Leach?

Mainly because they haven’t got any allrounders available I think. Also Leach isn’t great against left handers and New Zealand have a lot of them, spinners aren’t generally a lot of use at Lords anyway and, on this showing, they may be concerned about Bracey being able to keep to a spinner.

For me it was probably the right call not to go with him at Lords and the wrong one to leave him out here.

Archived