(Humble) Suggestions Thread

TheLastWolf

Self explanatory title. No beating around the bush. And I've no intentions of double entendres in the last sentence. Official disclaimer. 

Anyway it's up to our expert gods...sorry...mods to decide which of our inputs are viable to be implemented. I don't know if there have been any threads like this previously. 

1. Polls. Like in Telegram. Anonymous or otherwise. In OP/threads. Not posts. Multiple choices. Percentages. Etc. got idea after rereading

...this. 

2. Wider embedding compatibility. Not just Tweets, YouTube vids etc. Like WhatsApp, nearly all. 

3. Recent profile viewers in profile can be edited by profile owner. Plus some have larger number of last seen. Option to decide number to be shown public and private data. 

@Ran, @Xray the Enforcer, @mormontand @A True Kaniggit, pls consider these suggestions (Humble) and those to follow (hopefully). Only have interacted with you mods so far 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Are they that bad 

Sorry to stray away from the "humble" theme for this thread, but ... yes. And by "they", I mean the increasingly archaic forum policies that might have made sense back in the 1990s when forums were coded on potatoes and run on hardware that would embarrass a modern pocket calculator, but which nowadays hold the user experience back just as badly as the relative lack of new material to discuss from the core subject of the forum.

No ability to embed pictures. No notifications upon liked posts. Threads being locked after 20 pages for no good reason other than "that's how we do it" even though the software can handle it with ease and exceptions are made all over the place. Old threads being auto-locked after a year (want to revive a thread about some book series because a new book has been published? Nope, make a new one!). No polls. 

And the worst is ... this is not a problem anywhere else. I've visited many forums over my years on the Internet, and none are as backwards and archaic as this one. It's a shame, because the forum covers an interesting subject and the off-topic forums are a delight too, but every now and then I keep bumping into an issue and thinking "why is this stupid thing even a thing?". It's a good forum, but it has So. Much. Dumb. I haven't seen anywhere else.

Why do I “hear” Taylor Swift’s song after this useful post:)? Art Galleries need visitors, any time soon. It was hard to find an avatar photo of the right size, but my DH helped. And it may be Audobon related…now that’s a no no. Trying to keep up.

13 hours ago, Ran said:

We will never, ever allow picture embedding. Go to an art gallery if you want pictures.

At least limiting x number picture embedding per post or thread per person and allowing replacement edits or rationing quota...? :mellow:

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

At least limiting x number picture embedding per post or thread per person and allowing replacement edits or rationing quota...? :mellow:

Nope.

On 5/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, TheLastWolf said:

Self explanatory title. No beating around the bush. And I've no intentions of double entendres in the last sentence. Official disclaimer. 

Anyway it's up to our expert gods...sorry...mods to decide which of our inputs are viable to be implemented. I don't know if there have been any threads like this previously. 

1. Polls. Like in Telegram. Anonymous or otherwise. In OP/threads. Not posts. Multiple choices. Percentages. Etc. got idea after rereading

I am dubious of this, but will consider experimenting with it. My concern is that it just leads to silly, content-less threads that push down actual content.

...this. 

2. Wider embedding compatibility. Not just Tweets, YouTube vids etc. Like WhatsApp, nearly all. 

We've no control over this. There's a handful of mods out there that add  extra embed options. What do you feel is missing?

3. Recent profile viewers in profile can be edited by profile owner. Plus some have larger number of last seen. Option to decide number to be shown public and private data. 

This isn't something that we can do, I don't think.

No notifications upon liked posts.

We've added the option -- you should be able to edit it in your notification settings (I think it's the same as 'someone gives your post reputation'). We had it disabled when we did not in fact use the reputation system, but since they folded in likes and so on (at least, I think they have), makes sense to have it on.

ETA: Yeah, this works.

28 minutes ago, Ran said:

My concern is that it just leads to silly, content-less threads that push down actual content.

I have the same concern.  If someone goes to the time and trouble to present an OP and it's pushed off the page by threads that don't provide content or much thought; that effort is wasted.  I'm not a fan of polls in general.  Perhaps a sub-forum would be a better place for that activity, but I don't see it offering much value..

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Nope.

:(

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I am dubious of this, but will consider experimenting with it. My concern is that it just leads to silly, content-less threads that push down actual content

:cheers:

3 hours ago, Ran said:

This isn't something that we can do, I don't think

Sad

3 hours ago, Ran said:

We've added the option -- you should be able to edit it in your notification settings (I think it's the same as 'someone gives your post reputation'). We had it disabled when we did not in fact use the reputation system, but since they folded in likes and so on (at least, I think they have), makes sense to have it on.

ETA: Yeah, this works.

Thank you 

@TheLastWolf

There is a mod that may work to allow rich text embedding of webpages that have instructions in their code for how to embed, similar to how Twitter, Facebook, and other social medias can.

However, not sure it's compatible with our version of the forum. We'll look into that. 

Archived