Videogames: The Sequeling

IlyaP

You can name the 'Mechs :) So you've got the callsigns of the pilots, but if you like me have two of the same 'Mech you can rename them so instead of "ANNIHILATOR" and "ANNIHILATOR" it really does say "SCOTCHMO" and "DEADEYE" in the mech bay and the drop screen :)

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I don't much post in here but I felt I had to share this Pokemon ripoff with you all.

Wow that escalated and got very dark very quickly.

Yeah, maybe playing Fall of the Republic on the biggest map was a mistake, but truth be told I was too fascinated how smoothly it still ran. In any case, I'm stills struggling to consolidate my position. I have one large bubble of planets in the core and several horrifically exposed exclaves with Kamino and its surrounding areas being the biggest one... and which has already come under attack with Bothawui falling and me having to pull Anakin and Obi-Wan out so that they don't get killed. Luckily I have expanded to the east now and once I retake Bothawui I have successfully connected with those worlds, even if I have only managed to stretch myself thin through that. Then Eriadu and Mon Calamari need my help...

The Republic has randomized missions which is a neat feature. Right now I have to conquer a specific planet in the south and save up 25000 credits. For succeeding you get some units and influence that seem to be important for the end whether you get the Order 66 ending or the Order 65 one where Palpatine gets taken down and you get to keep all your Jedi heroes. Unfortunately I'm really bad at saving money, every time I try something comes up and I need to develop a planet, build some more units or like in the last case have to pay 13000 to research Venators. Given that Alderaan is now under threat of being conquered, I really need to build up some defense fleets that have a chance of actually beating a dedicated CIS push, so right now I've ordered some more Assault Acclamators at Kuat. Meanwhile if I circumvent the heavy resistance at Cato Neimodia, I can make a push for the planet conquest goal, so there is that.

Also turns out I have the ability to build two weird pre-Clone Wars Super Star Destroyers... somehow it itches in my to get one for my assault fleet...

13 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't see where the ripoff is? Unique monsters aren't that unusual?

Well the big wolf/dog featured is clearly Lycanroc for a start, like possibly the exact same model down to the hair tufts though I'm no expert.

4 hours ago, Poobah said:

Well the big wolf/dog featured is clearly Lycanroc for a start, like possibly the exact same model down to the hair tufts though I'm no expert.

I don't think it is that unique

I mean, if we're going to see similarities, there are others too. The turtle looks like similar to Mario, there's a Totoro/Cheshire cat looking thing, and there are just so many Pokemon that its probably hard to avoid particularly if you take inspiration from the same source. 

5 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't see where the ripoff is? Unique monsters aren't that unusual?

I could have said Pokemon clone/update I suppose but really the extent of its exact similarities to Pokemon itself was not the really important part of the video. 

5 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I could have said Pokemon clone/update I suppose but really the extent of its exact similarities to Pokemon itself was not the really important part of the video. 

I couldn't tell with the lack of detail otherwise. :dunno:

Crusader Kings 3 is really great, and often its better when everything is going wrong than when you are succeeding, which is what is so refreshing about it.

My latest play through is a real tale of utter failure and humiliation, and I loved it. Starting as a small one province lord in Romania, I managed to join an independence faction against my heretical masters, and broke free from their rule to establish my family as a local powerful dynasty, covering half of current Romania. That quickly fell apart as 2 generations of my characters managed to lose stupid wars and get themselves killed, losing basically everything.

It wasn't until the tiny Romanian holdings were left to the 8 year old daughter of my starting character that things started to pick up. She grew up to be a diligient but beautiful schemer, who married young and had many many children, swearign fealty to the Byzantine empire for protection. However she also managed to seduce the Byzantine Emperor and bared 3 children by him, and legitimised them all. This came at a heavy personal cost as she was known as an adulterer and her husband despised her for it.

However, it meant that her son after many years became the Emperor of the entire Eastern Roman Empire!! 

At least for a handful of years, turns out he was a total lunatic, very unpopular and was swiftly excommunicated and toppled from the throne, left as a babbling peasant to wander the earth..

Anyway, very much looking forward to the Royal Court update of CK3, looks like it could really add some visual flavour to the game, the devs seem intent on making it less of a paint the map experience and more of a Sims in medieval times game.

I think I'm finally finished with the first pass through the main city in Baldur's Gate 2. I'm still firmly in Chapter 2 though, I keep buying expensive gear and staying below 20,000 gold. I've got a few big quests to take me out of the city and once I wrap those up I'll probably finally get back to the main story. Good times.

I also picked up The Last Spell. It is in early access, but it's a rogue-like, which seem the best suited to that. It's basically a turn-based They Are Billions. You've got, at least at the start, 3 heroes and need to defend a town against waves of hundreds of enemies. It's got some neat ideas and some banging music. My complaint is that, so far at least, there's too much of a grind and not enough variation. There seems to be a single map, which is the same each run (with the only changes being permanent upgrades you can purchase, like starting with additional walls). And each run you need to survive 12 nights, with each night seeming to be a pretty fixed thing (though I haven't beat night 5 yet, so maybe it changes later). Also, while there are some pretty neat hero variations and what looks to be some interesting late-game economy decisions, all of it is locked behind an awful lot of grind. It's a really neat game idea though so I hope they make improvements during early access.

I managed to defend Alderaan! ... aaaand in doing so lost almost my entire assault fleet. One Invincible class Dreadnaught, two Assault Acclamators, three Carrier Acclamators. Only remaining were one Carrier Acclamator and my support ships, meaning a bunch of Arquitens light cruisers and Corellian corvettes. That... didn't exactly go as planned...

I guess on the bright side it gave me the opportunity to sit back and ponder for two weeks what to do next, saving enough money to succeed in my mission from the senate. I then proceeded to spend the money responsibly... by ordering a Mandator class Super Star Destroyer. What? Hey, I'm supposed to be playing Palpatine and I'm sure that's totally something he would have done! XD

In any case, I need to consolidate my forces. Mimban, the planet Anakin has been stuck on, is now under siege by Dooku and a sizeable droid army...

Frostpunk sequel - or the oft-mooted RPG spinoff - incoming. It's being announced on 12 August.

E3 is upon this so lots of craziness this weekend. Most interested in the Starfield announcement and more on Ghostwire Tokyo, and Ubisoft Montreal's two new games (Guardians of the Galaxy and a new IP). Also hoping that EA announce a Star Wars Squadrons sequel but that seems unlikely at the moment.

I was also really interested in "Marvel XCOM" but Jason Schreier clarified that it's not confirmed that Take Two will announce that game at E3, just that they're working on it.

Control is this week's free game on the Epic Store.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say this might be one of the very best games they've put up for free since the service started. Very unusual, strange story and atmosphere, but outstanding gameplay. I really need to get back to finishing it.

Most interesting (IMO) game from the summer showcase today is Metal Slug Tactics. Unfortunately, it turns out SNK is majority owned these days by Saudi Crown Prince MBS. And fuck him. So this'll be a pass for me.

23 hours ago, Werthead said:

Control is this week's free game on the Epic Store.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say this might be one of the very best games they've put up for free since the service started. Very unusual, strange story and atmosphere, but outstanding gameplay. I really need to get back to finishing it.

That's awesome. For those who haven't played it, I highly recommend you do. It's really really good.

Turns out spending my money on a Super Star Destroyer was a surprisingly good call. I was considering attacking the Separatist holdout on Brentaal that had been enclosed by Republic space, but the Separatists made the decision for me when a Techno Union fleet from there attacked Balmorra (why do I have to think of Morrowind when I hear that name?). The defenders there were overrun by a pure carrier fleet, but since Balmorra is right next to Kuat, my fresh out of the production line fleet arrived there even before they managed to start the ground invasion and shredded them with the Mandator not even loosing its shields. I then proceeded to push the advance and took Brentaal, Cato Neimoidia and Deko Neimoidia, planets which were all defended by Lucrehulks. I only lost one Venator to them. I suppose I'm lucky they split the fleet on Brentaal...

Archived