Videogames: The Sequeling

IlyaP

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Were the builds designed in order to try and get different story outcomes? 

Also: PoE is terrific. Haunting and beautiful and a bit melancholy, but absolutely terrific nonetheless.

They weren’t. As I got to level 70 in D3, there isn’t much to do but become more efficient and push for better gear or higher level rifts. It’s a bit of a grind really.

Looking forward to PoE. Great to hear.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:18 PM, Romelu Whiskaku said:

I usually play 3rd person action/rpg type games (Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Tomb Raider, etc). 

You have good taste. 

I would rec Valhalla as I loved the last two AC games...Odyssey and Origins.  They are huge but that's good.  I haven't played Valhalla yet even though I do have it on one of my consoles...probably the XBox as the other AC games are on that one.  I have heard it's more of the same so I'm in.  

Fenyx Rising is pretty and fun.  I have that one going and I like it.

Ghost of Tsushima is a good one. 

Have you played Vampyr?  You don't need a 5 for it but it's a moody, atmospheric vampire game that I liked fairly well. 

Whatever console you have you should play Control.  This should be option number one if you haven't played it already. 

These are all games I have on my PS4 or my XBox One.  Some have the upgrade included like Valhalla and Fenyx Rising.  I think it will be a bit before we get games that you need a 5 or a Series X to play.

14 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I would rec Valhalla as I loved the last two AC games...Odyssey and Origins.  They are huge but that's good.  I haven't played Valhalla yet even though I do have it on one of my consoles...probably the XBox as the other AC games are on that one.  I have heard it's more of the same so I'm in.  

I have been peeking at a thread in another forum where they discuss Valhalla and aside being stupendously huge I have read that they somehow broke the stealth system. In that the guards are either ludicrously blind or impossibly alert and once you are detected the entire camp homes in on you with no chance to avoid a full-on fight like in Odyssey and Origins (and those already dumbed down the stealth considerably). This all makes sneaking around very random and not feasible to be counted on. I suppose it makes sense that you are playing just some viking warrior allied to the assassins, not even a proper assassin, so that could be used as an explanation why your character doesn't even bother and actually prefers to charge in through the front door, though it's still vexing that it's a mechanical problem caused by broken AI scripts. Another common complaint is that the sailing is boring because your ship works literally just like a ship-shaped horse and unlike Odyssey there isn't any real ship combat to be had.

I just think that needs to be kept in mind for whether you think it's worth it.

39 minutes ago, Toth said:

I have been peeking at a thread in another forum where they discuss Valhalla and aside being stupendously huge I have read that they somehow broke the stealth system. In that the guards are either ludicrously blind or impossibly alert and once you are detected the entire camp homes in on you with no chance to avoid a full-on fight like in Odyssey and Origins (and those already dumbed down the stealth considerably). This all makes sneaking around very random and not feasible to be counted on. I suppose it makes sense that you are playing just some viking warrior allied to the assassins, not even a proper assassin, so that could be used as an explanation why your character doesn't even bother and actually prefers to charge in through the front door, though it's still vexing that it's a mechanical problem caused by broken AI scripts. Another common complaint is that the sailing is boring because your ship works literally just like a ship-shaped horse and unlike Odyssey there isn't any real ship combat to be had.

Someone...possibly here...was saying something about the stealth system regressing.  That's too bad if true.  Still, the game is already on the console so I will play it whatever the case.  I won't be too surprised if I still feel Origins and Odyssey are better.  I was looking at games I bought and forgot and I also have Syndicate so there's another AC to play at some point.  I haven't played games at all for over a month, though.  We'll see what I do once I actually sit down to play again.

42 minutes ago, Toth said:

I wouldn’t say they broke the stealth system.  It functions the same as in every other AC game not named Odyssey.

Which is to say poorly.

Finished GoT this afternoon.  Great game. Tomorrow morning I pick up my PS5, Returnal, and Demons Souls. Should be able to knock Demons Souls out next week, the Returnal, then Valhalla since my wife got it for me for Father’s Day and it has a free upgrade to the PS5 version

As a fan of stealth games - if it's steal you're after, the original three Thief games are available on Good Old Games (do not buy them on Steam, those versions are broken and do not include all the content of the games), and the first two Dishonored games are extremely fun (I'd argue the first is still better than the sequel, but your mileage may vary) stealth games as well and are availalbe on Steam at a really nice price right now. 

I haven't yet played Dishonored 2 (and Death of the Outsider), but indeed the 3 original Thief games were great, though specially 1 and 2 are graphically antique nowadays, and Dishonored and its DLCs are really really good as a game offering choices between stealth or brute force (a bit like Deus Ex, but in a Steampunk setting).

Finished my Mass Effect 2 replay. Such a great game. And I've started Mass Effect 3 now. Still not sure if I'll actually beat the game, or just do the Citadel DLC right before the point-of-no-return and call it a day. It's not just the very end that sucks, the whole Priority: Earth mission was a disappointment compared to what it could've been. I will say though, I forgot just how good the ME3 combat is. In my memory it was basically the same as ME2's combat, but it's really not. And it totally holds up too. Makes me disappointed that there's no multiplayer in the Legendary Edition.

4 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

I haven't yet played Dishonored 2 (and Death of the Outsider), but indeed the 3 original Thief games were great, though specially 1 and 2 are graphically antique nowadays, and Dishonored and its DLCs are really really good as a game offering choices between stealth or brute force (a bit like Deus Ex, but in a Steampunk setting).

I'd be curious to hear how you resond to Death of the Outsider as it drove me f**king mad. (I could not wait for the game to be over by the time I was half-way through it.)

As with Thief: there are mods you can download that improve the visual quality of the game, notable the HD texture mods for Thief 1 and 2.

Just avoid the Thief "reboot", it's...I mean, it's not a *bad* game, but...it's not the first three. It's not even Garret. It's...like some kind of strange reimagining. And not one that particularly spoke to me.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

He's kind of gamey to beat once you figure it out, but if you're dipping into ME3, shouldn't you at least stick around for the big boss fight with Marauder Shields?

The hero we needed, but not the hero we deserved.

I'll also say, playing through these silly dream sequences again, it would've been so cool if the indoctrination theory had actually been true (so long as the real ending was a free update down the road, making it a paid DLC would've been an even worse trend in microtransactions than what we've seen). It's the kind of thing that might've happened if Yoko Taro was the creative lead.

5 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

While Dishonored does offer a choice between stealth and brute force, the latter is so hilariously overpowered in the late game that I've always stuck to stealth to keep things challenging. 

Both with Deus Ex and Dishonored, I always go guns blazing for first playthrough, clean up the place, explore it all and loot it, then go for a stealth/no-death (as far as it's possible) 2nd playthrough, now that I have an idea where to hige, how to avoid guards. Doing stealth first would take me far longer to go through the games, with trials and errors.

On 7/1/2021 at 6:52 PM, Kal Corp said:

Ratchet and Clank looks awesome, but it didn't sound like that was the kind of game that @Romelu Whiskaku liked.

My IMO on this is that for both the XSX and the PS5  the big draw is to play the games you  already like, but more awesome. There really aren't any games that are super must have for either console, at least yet. Probably this holiday will change that. Having SSD-speed load times and enhanced graphics really is great, but that's applicable to everything.

Absolutely.  I'm not sure if Microsoft did it the same way but it was really smart by Sony to just give a good chunk of the best PS4 games for free to anyone who buys a PS5.

I know some of you like Tie Fighter. I never played it but I might now:

https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-a-stunning-mod-that-remakes-the-original-tie-fighter/

A group of dedicated fans have remade 1994 LucasArts classic TIE Fighter to frankly stunning effect, giving new life to the nearly 30 year old game. Using the engine from 1999's X-Wing Alliance, given new life by a major mod project to update that game, the creators of TIE Fighter: Total Conversion have remade all 13 campaigns, and their training missions, to deliver the original experience remade in a far superior engine. 

Between the classic campaigns, some 104 missions, and a new suite of reimagined campaign missions, the mod has 145 unique missions to play. It also supports VR, courtesy of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project, and sports both a remastered and original MIDI soundtrack.

To boot up the mod you'll need a copy of X-Wing Alliance, which is available various places games are sold like GOG and Steam. You'll also need X-Wing Alliance Upgrade, a nice big mod in and of itself. You can find TIE Fighter: Total Conversion mod on its moddb page.

Reports Suggest Grand Theft Auto 6 Could Release in 2024 or 2025
Rumours suggest a return to Vice City.

https://www.ign.com/articles/gta-6-release-date-2024-2025-grand-theft-auto

Multiple sources suggest that Grand Theft Auto 6 is currently aiming for a release in 2024 or 2025.

IGN reported that GTA 6 was in development last year, but it was in early development. Last week, industry insider Tom Henderson put a 2024 or 2025 release date on the project – a timeline which has subsequently been corroborated by Bloomberg's Jason Schreier and VGC's Andy Robinson.

Henderson added that the game would take place in a modern take on the series' Miami-inspired Vice City, and that the game's map will be altered over time in the same manner as live service games like Fortnite – details VGC also said it had heard

8 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

and that the game's map will be altered over time in the same manner as live service games like Fortnite 

Or you know, Florida. 

Archived