10,000 Ships in Development at HBO

Westeros

Deadline Hollywood has the scoop: Amanda Segel (Person of Interest, Helstrom) is tackling 10,000 Ships, one of several Game of Thrones successor-shows that HBO has in the works according to reports from March. This project would feature Princess Nymeria, the legendary leader of the Rhoynar who led them from their flight from the conquering Valyrians and their dragons and ultimately established a new home when she wed Lord Mors Martell and unified Dorne. Notably, due to the death of many the men among the Rhoynar in Garin’s war, Nymeria’s fleet of ships was dominated by women, suggesting this show’s cast would be the most likely to be predominantly-female.

Most of what we know regarding Nymeria and the Rhoynar comes from our own The World of Ice and Fire (affiliate link).

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

2 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

You have to actually drive a racecar to be considered a racecar driver.

Segel's not even got a pilot order. It's just development.

Yeah, I agree that Nymeria's journey is not among the most compelling pieces of the AWOIAF lore to be adapted. It's basically a rehash of the Aeneid. At least this time, with a female led-cast and the action taking place in the three continents, they won't feel need to mess up the source material to make room for a more diverse cast.

One thing that may be interesting would be that a show about Nymeria should have three completely different parts: there'd be the war between the Rhoynish and the Valyrians; there'd be Nymeria's odyssey across the Summer Sea; and there'd be the settling in Dorne with the founding of House Martell and its path to hegemony. Each of those three parts will have different settings, antagonists and dynamics, and may feel almost as completely different series. If done well, it can be a plus, I guess.

On 5/28/2021 at 10:33 AM, Eltharion21 said:

Fan forums have ruined me, every time I see that title , I think of many unfortunate ships in the fandom.

I know Selaesori Qhoran and Black Betha and a number of other ships met harsh fates in the course of the series, but think of all the other ships that are doing just fine. King Robert's Hammer missed the Blackwater, Salladhor Saan's Valyrian is still kicking about, and so on.

On 5/26/2021 at 3:10 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m so uninterested in this topic lol. There are so many options for the GOT prequels,  yet they keep picking one that I find very underwhelming (aide from the Dance). I hope the animated show ends up being about Valyria. 

THIS

They could do the conquest but no, they’d rather make a show of rhoynar boating around. Absolutely mindboggling. 

On 5/26/2021 at 4:10 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m so uninterested in this topic lol. There are so many options for the GOT prequels,  yet they keep picking one that I find very underwhelming (aide from the Dance). I hope the animated show ends up being about Valyria. 

For HBO to make an animated show about Valyria, George would have to throw a mountain of lore to them, otherwise us, the readers of his books can't really get attached to it, or at least me.

On 5/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, The hairy bear said:

Yeah, I agree that Nymeria's journey is not among the most compelling pieces of the AWOIAF lore to be adapted. It's basically a rehash of the Aeneid. At least this time, with a female led-cast and the action taking place in the three continents, they won't feel need to mess up the source material to make room for a more diverse cast.

If nobody in the pitch meeting said "it's fantasy Battlestar Galactica," they missed a trick.

They could do the conquest but no, they’d rather make a show of rhoynar boating around. Absolutely mindboggling. 

I think they probably had a choice between the Conquest and the Dance and they decided to do the Dance. Doing both at the same time is redundant (sequentially in different shows, more likely).

3 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I'm assuming it's just going to cover Princess Nymeria running from the Lords Freeholder and not the destruction of the river cities, the razing of Chroyane?

Nah, the fans love mass-murdering girlbosses. It’ll be portrayed as her smashing the patriarchy. 

On 5/26/2021 at 9:10 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m so uninterested in this topic lol. There are so many options for the GOT prequels,  yet they keep picking ones that I find very underwhelming (aside from the Dance). I hope the animated show ends up being about Valyria. 

Max Borenstein recently said he hopes they reconsider his prequel

6 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I'm assuming it's just going to cover Princess Nymeria running from the Lords Freeholder and not the destruction of the river cities, the razing of Chroyane?

That would be ... very odd. The point of such a show would be to cover the destruction of the Rhoynar and then the journey of the survivors to a safe haven. Anything else would be weird.

I guess such a show would start with introducing the cities of the Rhoynar, Volantis and the Valyrian colonies along the Rhoyne, their animosities and previous wars, and then start with the escalation of the final war. That could be 1-2 seasons, with the later journey being covered by later seasons.

Of course, one would also need at least one Valyrian (or preferrably Volantene) villain determined to bring down Nymeria for some reason (which should not be in line with majority view of the rulers of Valyria), so that there is tension and the ships are not just troubled by various locals, etc. but also constantly on the run from pursuers.

It wouldn't work if this was just 'the weirdo people/place of the season/episode arc' formula - meaning Basilisk Isles, Sothoryos, Yeen, Summer Isles, and so forth.

Finally, the show could end with a proper introduction of Dorne and Nymeria and Mors Martell conquering and uniting the place.

Archived