Interesting Tidbits

2 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I'm pretty sure that if the Starks raised their bannermen against House Bolton, then they would eventually be defeated. House Manderly alone has more troops than House Bolton, with way more financial resources. Now add the Umbers, Karstarks, Glovers, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Hornwoods, Dustins, Ryswells, Flints, mountain clans, Mormonts, etc... 

And don't tell me that the Dreadfort is impregnable. Every 'impregnable' castle in the story can be taken, including Winterfell.

They need to resist only until the Blackfyres win or lose. With Daemon's defeat the crown would probably just offer a pardon and the Starks would accept it.

That's pretty much what happened with half of the 7 kingdoms. 

3 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I'm pretty sure that if the Starks raised their bannermen against House Bolton, then they would eventually be defeated. House Manderly alone has more troops than House Bolton, with way more financial resources. Now add the Umbers, Karstarks, Glovers, Cerwyns, Tallharts, Hornwoods, Dustins, Ryswells, Flints, mountain clans, Mormonts, etc... 

And don't tell me that the Dreadfort is impregnable. Every 'impregnable' castle in the story can be taken, including Winterfell.

Oh, there are a hundred possible reasons why the Starks may not have been able to do that - let's say Cregan Stark was a feeble, toothless old man in 196 AC. Or his sons were embroiled in other problems, most notably who should succeed the old man. Then there is the Skagos Rebellion which happened during this time, so the hands of the Starks may have been tied.

Not to mention that many Stark bannermen may have decided to sit on their hands and wait which dragon prevailed in the south.

7 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

If Arya can tell if people are lying, could she suss out he truth if the character believes falsehoods?

99.13% of the characters in Planetos fall under this category then. Reality is an illusion. Truth is what people choose to believe conveniently. Sorry for the Nietzsche vibes. Pardon if spelling wrong. 

Instead of putting his sisters in the Maidenvault, Baelor could have just married Daena off to someone far away and allowed Rhaena to join the septas. The fact that he locked them up instead shows that a) he probably never planned on letting them out, and b) Baelor the Blessed was more sinister than his image would suggest, even if he didn’t realize it himself.

15 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

If Arya can tell if people are lying, could she suss out he truth if the character believes falsehoods?

I think her lie-detector abilities are based on whether the other person is knowingly lying. It’s more about whether the other person is being deceptive rather than just misinformed.

• 4 months later...

A few more:

- Arya has never killed a woman (also, unlike in the show, book-Arya doesn't hate women either)

- Sansa has been kissed many times, but she never initiates it (excluding pecks on the cheek)

- Tywin tells both Tyrion and Jaime that they are "no son of mine." This is often overlooked in the Secret Targaryen theories

- Speaking of Tywin, Cersei has seen him smile more than anyone else; she recalls him having a "secret smile" that he only shared with her

- Since it came up in another thread: Varys was probably going to let Tyrion die. Jaime was the one who forced Varys to free him

- Despite his hot temper, Oberyn ultimately fell in love with a woman with a very similar personality to Doran and Elia 

On 5/26/2021 at 7:56 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

Also, on a side-note, I always thought that Fireball was one of the all-time assholes of ASOIAF. You have to be a real POS to make your wife join the silent sisters so that you can live out your boyhood fantasy. There's some poetic justice is him, just like Criston Cole, getting a completely unremarkable death. 

Agree with this so much. If you really have to send her to a religious order, send her to something other than the silent sisters. 

On 5/27/2021 at 1:32 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

If they did support the Blackfyres, it would be for the same reason as Roose supporting the Lannisters: to try to usurp the Starks. 

Very true, but this is far more hit or miss. Let me explain. In the War of the Five Kings, I knew from the second that they crowned Robb, they'd be fucked. If Renly wins over all, he'll march north, kick their ass and leave. If Stannis wins over all, if he has enough men, he'll march north, kick their ass and leave. And if the Lannisters ally with Tyrells and win overall...they're fucked. You get the point. They've only got the depleted men of two kingdoms, of which one is wartorn and unlikely to raise fresh armies beyond greybeards and green boys. During the Blackfyre Rebellions, however, you had the Lannisters, Dornishmen and maybe the Vale if Lord Arryn is there, fighting for King Daeron II. Maybe the Riverlords as well. There's a much larger chance of the Blackfyres losing, and the winner blasting the Boltons, if they haven't done it already. Thus, a shrewd lord would not do that. Sorry if the explanation is too long. 

Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. "Faster," they cried, "faster, faster." She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. "Faster!" the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward. A great knife of pain ripped down her back, and she felt her skin tear open and smelled the stench of burning blood and saw the shadow of wings. And Daenerys Targaryen flew.

Jenny's song:

High in the halls of the kings who are gone, Jenny would dance with her ghosts . . .

• 3 weeks later...

A few more:

- Cersei recalls drawing a picture of herself riding a dragon with Rhaegar when she was a kid, then telling Jaime it was Jaehaerys and Alysanne when he discovered it. In F&B we learned that Alysanne had curly, golden hair like Cersei’s, so this was actually pretty clever on her part.

- Galbart Glover refers to the people of the Iron Islands as “ironmen,” which is considered derogatory, but he calls Wex “Ironborn,” which shows his regard for the boy.

- As far as I can recall, George never begins a chapter with the POV’s name (ex. He’ll say “The Queen was. . . “ rather than “Cersei was. . .”)

Archived